Notifications (turning e-mail notifications on and off)

• Thread starter Frabjous
  • Start date
In summary, when you signed up for PF, you were given the option to turn on or off email notifications. You can disable all email notifications from the watched threads list. You can also disable email notifications on a thread-by-thread basis.
Frabjous
Gold Member
When I signed up for PF, I used email notifications. I eventually turned them off, but threads that I started watching before that point still email me notifications. I can fix the issue on a case-by-case basis by unwatching then watching a specific thread.

Physics news on Phys.org
You can disable them all at once from the watched threads list:
At the top right there is "Manage watched threads" -> "Disable ALL email notifications"

It's also possible to do it more selectively, e.g. page by page:
noemails.png

... or thread by thread by selecting the individual threads instead of "select all", of course.

Likes dextercioby, Greg Bernhardt, Wrichik Basu and 1 other person
mfb said:
You can disable them all at once from the watched threads list:
At the top right there is "Manage watched threads" -> "Disable ALL email notifications"

It's also possible to do it more selectively, e.g. page by page:
View attachment 319821

... or thread by thread by selecting the individual threads instead of "select all", of course.
Thanks. I got my behavior by changing my alert preferences.
Screen Shot 2023-01-05 at 7.03.12 AM.png

It's funny because I have the opposite problem: I never receive email notifications.

I used to. Never changed a thing. All the boxes in post #3 are checked. One day (years ago), it just stopped. All that is left are the alert on the site itself.

And somehow, once in a while, the notifications stop coming in for one thread. When I happen to go to the thread and read the few posts I've been missing, I'm automatically "back" (I've never been really "off") on the watch list again, without any intervention from my part.

For the email notifications, I might have an explanation unrelated to PF per se. I recently learned that the big free email providers have very aggressive spam policies. When they feel someone is sending spam, they don't just put the emails in the spam folder, they refuse to deliver them, sending back an Email Error 550: High Probability of Spam instead.

jack action said:
And somehow, once in a while, the notifications stop coming in for one thread. When I happen to go to the thread and read the few posts I've been missing, I'm automatically "back" (I've never been really "off") on the watch list again, without any intervention from my part.
You receive notification only for the first unread post in a thread. Further notifications are suppressed until you visit the thread, unless someone quotes or mentions you (for those, you will always receive individual notifications). You won't receive notifications for further posts in that thread until you go and view all the unread replies.

jack action said:
It's funny because I have the opposite problem: I never receive email notifications.
Make sure your email is still valid and not rejecting the emails as spam

My gmail automatically divides my inbox into Primary, Promotions and Spam buckets. Promotions are usually ads. I usually delete everything in Promotions without looking to see what it is.

Might your email notifications from PF be similarly being sent to the wrong bucket?

Wrichik Basu said:
You receive notification only for the first unread post in a thread.
Once in a while, it doesn't happen for me. For example (since I just learn about the watched thread section), here's what is showing on my watched thread list:

watched.png

Those are all marked unread (out of 14 pages of watched threads). That is because I didn't receive a notification in a while and completely forgot about them. If I just go and read them now, I will most likely be on the notification list again. That will last a while, and it will most likely stop again in the future. It seems to happen to threads that I mostly read and haven't posted for a while, but I really can't find a common behavior to trigger it.

Greg Bernhardt said:
Make sure your email is still valid and not rejecting the emails as spam
anorlunda said:
Might your email notifications from PF be similarly being sent to the wrong bucket?
No, that is really not what's happening. Just to make sure, I rechecked my email account: Not only there is nothing in any folders or groups, but I also have no addresses related to PF in my block list AND I have 2 PF addresses in my safe list, namely (obfuscated):
  • admin[]physicsforums[]com
  • pfmail[]physicsforums[]com
Nothing in my safe mailing list, though.

I've added physicsforums.com as the whole domain to my safe sender's list, we'll see if it makes a difference (I have doubts).

As I complained before (here and here), this seems to coincide with a recent upgrade.

jack action said:
As I complained before (here and here), this seems to coincide with a recent upgrade.
Yup, 'upgrades' frequently do that, unfortunately PF has joined that subset.

Frabjous said:
Thanks. I got my behavior by changing my alert preferences.
Yes, that changes future threads but not threads already on the watchlist.
jack action said:
(since I just learn about the watched thread section)
It's so much better than email notifications if you visit the website regularly.

1. What are e-mail notifications?

E-mail notifications are alerts or messages that are sent to your e-mail address when certain events or actions occur. These can include new emails, calendar reminders, social media updates, and more.

2. How do I turn e-mail notifications on?

The process for turning e-mail notifications on will vary depending on the specific email service or application you are using. In general, you can usually find the option to manage notifications in the settings or preferences section. You may also be able to customize which types of notifications you receive.

3. How do I turn e-mail notifications off?

Similar to turning them on, the process for turning e-mail notifications off will vary depending on the email service or application. You can typically find the option to manage notifications in the settings or preferences section and disable them completely or for specific types of notifications.

4. What are the benefits of turning e-mail notifications on or off?

The main benefit of turning e-mail notifications on is that you will receive real-time alerts about important events or updates. This can help you stay organized and on top of important tasks. Turning them off can reduce distractions and interruptions, allowing you to focus on other tasks without constant notifications.

5. Can I customize which e-mail notifications I receive?

Yes, many email services and applications allow you to customize which notifications you receive. This can include choosing specific email addresses or contacts to receive notifications from, selecting which types of events trigger notifications, and setting a schedule for when you receive notifications.