Dedicated course on optics during my physics major

In summary, the individual is seeking suggestions for optics textbooks to supplement their self-study during the summer. They have already taken core courses in their physics major and have limited understanding in optics from their lab work. Some recommendations include older editions of Hecht and Zajak, as well as anything by Warren J Smith for practical optics. The individual also mentions their dislike for Hecht's textbook used in their undergrad class.
Proggle
I've been planning out my future coursework and it seems unlikely that I'll be able to take a dedicated course on optics during my physics major.

Therefore, I'm hoping for some suggestions about Optics textbooks that would make a good reference for self-study during the summer. I'm a junior and have already taken the "core courses" (classical mechanics, QM, E&M) in the major, but I've found my understanding of optics is quite limited during my lab work.

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hecht

Hecht
If you are buying save some money and get one of the older editions. Nothing has changed except it's 50% in pages with unecessary extra pictures.

For practical optics (optical instrumentation), pretty much anything by Warren J Smith.

Hecht wrote the Schaum's...it parallels Hecht and Zajak and is a lot cheaper.

I guess you don't need any more replies but just in case you need further backing up: Hecht.

BTW, I feel your pain; my undergrad class in optics only covered geometrical optics. Sigh...

I hated Hecht with passion.

Related to Dedicated course on optics during my physics major

1. What is the purpose of taking a dedicated course on optics during a physics major?

The purpose of taking a dedicated course on optics during a physics major is to gain a thorough understanding of the principles and applications of optics, which is a branch of physics that deals with the behavior and properties of light. This knowledge is crucial for many fields such as engineering, astronomy, and medicine.

2. What topics are typically covered in a dedicated course on optics?

A dedicated course on optics typically covers topics such as the nature of light, geometric optics, physical optics, and optical instruments. It may also delve into advanced topics such as quantum optics, laser physics, and optical coherence.

3. Will I need any prior knowledge in optics to succeed in this course?

While a basic understanding of physics is helpful, most dedicated courses on optics do not require prior knowledge in optics. However, a strong foundation in mathematics, particularly calculus, is essential for understanding the mathematical principles behind optics.

4. Are there any practical components to this course?

Yes, many dedicated courses on optics include practical components such as laboratory experiments or projects. These help students apply their theoretical knowledge to real-world scenarios and gain hands-on experience with optical instruments and techniques.

5. What career opportunities are available for those who have taken a dedicated course on optics?

Individuals who have taken a dedicated course on optics during their physics major may pursue careers in various fields such as optics engineering, optical design, optoelectronics, and photonics. They may also choose to continue their studies in graduate programs focusing on optics and related fields.