Decreasing sequence of closed balls in COMPLETE metric space

So the sequence is eventually constant, right? All Cauchy sequences converge in the discrete metric.In summary, the conversation discusses finding a decreasing sequence of closed balls in a complete metric space with empty intersection and provides a hint to use a metric on N topologically equivalent to the discrete metric. The thread then presents a metric that satisfies all the conditions required in the problem except for completeness, and forms a decreasing sequence of closed balls with empty intersection. The conversation then explores coming up with another metric that satisfies completeness, and discusses verifying that the given sequence of closed balls is correct. Finally, the conversation concludes with a discussion on proving the completeness of the metric space.
kingwinner

Homework Statement

Give an example of a decreasing sequence of closed balls in a complete metric space with empty intersection.
Hint 1: use a metric on N topologically equivalent to the discrete metric so that {n≥k} are closed balls. In={n,n+1,n+2,...}.

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

In the following post:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=374596
We showed that the metric d(m,n)=∑1/2k where the sum is from k=m to k=n-1, satisfies all the conditions required in the problem, except for completeness.
With that metric, we formed the closed balls by taking {n E N: d(k,n)≤1/2k-1} = {k-1,k,k+1,k+2,...} = Ik-1. And I1,I2,I3,... is a decreasing sequence of closed balls with empty intersection.

Now, we have to come up with another metric (possibly a modification of the above) that also satisfies completeness (i.e. every Cauchy sequence in N converges (in N)).

Does anyone have any idea?
Any help is greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
If I define d to be

d(m,n)= 1/2 + ∑1/2k where the sum is from k=m to k=n-1, if m<n
d(m,n)=0, if m=n
d(m,n)=d(n,m), if m>n

Will this work or not?

Could someone kindly confirm this/correct me if I'm wrong.
Thank you!

You know, I think that does work. {2,3,4,5,...} is no longer Cauchy, so the space is complete. Why don't you start filling in the other steps? Like showing 'd' is a metric and showing {n,n+1,...} is an interval?

d(m,n)= 1/2 + ∑1/2k where the sum is from k=m to k=n-1, if m<n
d(m,n)=0, if m=n
d(m,n)=d(n,m), if m>n

d(1,2)=1, d(2,3)=0.75, d(3,4)=0.625
Define
B1=Closed ball of radius 1 about 2
B2=Closed ball of radius 0.75 about 3
B3=Closed ball of radius 0.625 about 4

Does this give the decreasing sequence of closed balls with B1={1,2,3,4,...}, B2={2,3,4,...}, B3={3,4,5,...}?

I am quite confident that B1={1,2,3,4,...}, B2={2,3,4,...}, B3={3,4,5,...} unless I've make some mistakes. But I would appreciate if someone can confirm that I'm producing the decreasing sequence of closed balls correctly.

thanks.

Last edited:
Using an upper bound based on the infinite geometric series, I think I've shown that my results in post #4 are correct.

But now how can we actually PROVE that the metric space (N,d) is COMPLETE? (i.e. every Cauchy sequence in N converges (in N))

For any n E N, the open ball of radius 1/2 about n = B(1/2,n) = {n}. But does this show that every Cauchy sequence in N converges (in N)) ? I'm puzzled about this part, and I would appreciate if someone can help me out.

thanks.

I'm liking your methodical approach here. Doing examples like this is the only way to get a feeling for what's going on. You've just got a typo in "B1=Closed ball of radius 0.1 about 2". You meant "B1=Closed ball of radius 1.0 about 2". Great work so far. Keep it up.

kingwinner said:
Using an upper bound based on the infinite geometric series, I think I've shown that my results in post #4 are correct.

But now how can we actually PROVE that the metric space (N,d) is COMPLETE? (i.e. every Cauchy sequence in N converges (in N))

For any n E N, the open ball of radius 1/2 about n = B(1/2,n) = {n}. But does this show that every Cauchy sequence in N converges (in N)) ? I'm puzzled about this part, and I would appreciate if someone can help me out.

thanks.

Now it's getting easy again after the rude interruption from the last bogus hint. Pick epsilon=1/4. If {an} is Cauchy, then |an-am|<1/4 for n,m>N. That means an=am, right?

Related to Decreasing sequence of closed balls in COMPLETE metric space

1. What is a decreasing sequence of closed balls in a complete metric space?

A decreasing sequence of closed balls in a complete metric space is a sequence of nested closed balls, where each ball has a smaller radius than the previous one. This sequence is defined in a complete metric space, which is a mathematical structure that includes a set of points and a distance function, and satisfies the property that every Cauchy sequence (a sequence where the terms get closer and closer to each other) converges to a point in the space.

2. What is the significance of a decreasing sequence of closed balls in a complete metric space?

A decreasing sequence of closed balls in a complete metric space is important because it allows us to approximate a point in the space with increasing accuracy. As the radius of the balls decreases, they become smaller and smaller neighborhoods of the point, providing a more precise location for the point. This is useful in many mathematical and scientific applications, such as in analysis and topology.

3. How is a decreasing sequence of closed balls related to the concept of completeness in metric spaces?

A decreasing sequence of closed balls is related to completeness in metric spaces because it is defined in a complete metric space. The completeness property ensures that every Cauchy sequence in the space converges to a point, and the nested closed balls provide a way to approximate that point. This relationship is important in understanding the behavior of metric spaces and their properties.

4. Can a decreasing sequence of closed balls converge to a point outside the complete metric space?

No, a decreasing sequence of closed balls can only converge to a point within the complete metric space. This is because the completeness property ensures that every Cauchy sequence in the space converges to a point in the space. If the sequence were to converge to a point outside the space, it would contradict the completeness property.

5. How is a decreasing sequence of closed balls different from a Cauchy sequence?

A decreasing sequence of closed balls is different from a Cauchy sequence in that it is a sequence of nested closed balls, while a Cauchy sequence is a sequence of points that get closer and closer to each other. While both concepts involve the idea of convergence to a point, they are related in different ways and have different applications in mathematics and science.