Declining interest in Physics Today magazine

In summary: I think it's possible that as physics has become more interdisciplinary, Physics Today has followed suit and included more articles on interdisciplinary applications of physics. In summary, There has been a decline in interest in Physics Today magazine, with the reader speculating whether it is due to their age or a more widespread trend. Despite not reading every issue, there is always something of interest. The reader also notes a shift towards more interdisciplinary articles and a change in the target audience from the general public to researchers and scientists.
Frabjous
Gold Member
I have noticed a declining interest for myself in Physics Today magazine. Am I just getting old and grumpy or is this a more widespread phenomena?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Who knows, but not for me. Most recently in the December's issue, I read the articles on the Nobel Laureates, the article on galaxies running out of gas, the article on Biological Tissues as Mechanical Metamaterials, and the Quick Study article on the quantum mechanics of viscosity. Admittedly I do not read that much in most issues, but I always find something of interest.

Likes Frabjous and vanhees71
I let my APS membership lapse after 2020. I started around 1990 and used to read every page. The past few years I saw the magazine get thinner and thinner and there was less and less I was interested in.

Likes Frabjous
My interest in Physics Today over time is constant and scale invariant. :wink:

• Haha
Likes atyy, Frabjous and vanhees71
In thinking about this it seems that there are more articles on interdisciplinary application of physics. This would seem valuable to help emphasize the importance of physics in understanding the more complex characteristics of our world.

Likes vanhees71 and Frabjous
I am of an age where I look first at the obituaries to see if I'm there.
I do see too many friends, though.
The problem with PT now is that the scientific articles in new fields are too detailed,
without giving a simple overall understanding.

Likes vanhees71, madscientist_93 and atyy
Has the font gotten smaller? Or my eyesight worse with ageing?

• Haha
Likes vanhees71 and Demystifier
As a student I find The Physics teacher magazine more appealing. I wonder if the target audience of Physics Today changed over time, from general public with moderate knowledge and interest in physics to researchers and scientists.

madscientist_93 said:
As a student I find The Physics teacher magazine more appealing. I wonder if the target audience of Physics Today changed over time, from general public with moderate knowledge and interest in physics to researchers and scientists.
I think it's always been for researchers and scientists as it's meant to be read by members of the American Institute of Physics, who are physics researchers.

Likes vanhees71 and madscientist_93

Related to Declining interest in Physics Today magazine

1. Why is there a decline in interest in Physics Today magazine?

The decline in interest in Physics Today magazine can be attributed to several factors. One possible reason is the rise of online resources and digital publications, which offer more convenient and accessible ways to access information about physics. Another factor could be the declining interest in the overall field of physics, as other STEM fields such as computer science and engineering have gained more attention in recent years.

2. Is the decline in interest in Physics Today magazine reflective of a decline in interest in physics as a whole?

While the decline in interest in Physics Today magazine may suggest a decline in interest in physics, it is important to note that this may not be representative of the entire field. There are still many individuals and organizations who are actively engaged in and interested in the study of physics, but may not necessarily subscribe to or read the magazine.

3. How does the decline in interest in Physics Today magazine impact the scientific community?

The decline in interest in Physics Today magazine may have some impact on the scientific community, as it may result in less exposure and dissemination of new research and developments in the field of physics. However, it is important to note that there are other avenues for sharing and accessing this information, such as academic journals and conferences.

4. What steps can be taken to increase interest in Physics Today magazine?

To increase interest in Physics Today magazine, the publication could consider reaching out to a wider audience and diversifying its content to appeal to a broader range of readers. This could include featuring more interdisciplinary topics and highlighting the practical applications of physics in everyday life. Additionally, targeted marketing and collaborations with other organizations could also help to attract new readers.

5. Is there a way to reverse the decline in interest in Physics Today magazine?

While it may be difficult to reverse the decline in interest in Physics Today magazine, there are steps that can be taken to potentially improve its readership. This could include conducting surveys and gathering feedback from current and potential readers to better understand their interests and preferences, and using this information to make changes to the magazine. Additionally, promoting the magazine through various platforms and engaging with readers through social media and online discussions could also help to generate more interest in the publication.