Deciding whether to audit, take the class, or take pass/fail

• Thread starter dh363
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Class
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of taking an introductory complex analysis course without having prior knowledge of real analysis. The course description indicates that while the class may cover some concepts from real analysis, it is primarily focused on complex numbers and functions. The use of a textbook that does not assume advanced mathematical knowledge suggests that the course is meant to be introductory. However, the speaker advises caution and suggests speaking with the professor to ensure readiness for the course.
dh363
Hey guys, I'm a sophomore thinking about adding into a complex analysis class. The thing is, I'm not sure whether the class would require concepts from Real Analysis (which I haven't taken) or not. The professor didn't list analysis as a prereq but from a conceptual standpoint speaks of the class as if it comes after analysis. I attended the first class and kept up perfectly fine, but that doesn't really say anything, since we haven't gotten into anything difficult yet.

The course description states "Complex numbers. Analytic functions including exponential, logarithmic and trigonometric functions of a complex variable. Geometric and mapping properties of analytic functions. Contour integration, Cauchy's theorem, the Cauchy integral formula. Power series representations. Residues and poles, with applications to the evaluation of integrals. Conformal mapping and applications as time permits.
"
That Conformal mapping is only "as time permits" leads me to believe that he doesn't go through stuff too quickly and this is really an introductory course. He also uses Brown/Churchill, which I've heard doesn't assume very advanced mathematical knowledge. As such, I was wondering whether y'all thought if I would be ready for this kind of intro level complex analysis course. I've had proof-heavy classes before and I aced multivariable and linalg

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Oftentimes, introductory complex analysis courses will not strictly require tools from real analysis in the sense that the course will introduce those concepts when necessary. That said, analysis is hard enough over the reals; unless you have a good intuition for the things covered in a solid real analysis course, you're going to find a lot of complex analysis unmotivated and quite difficult.

If you know single-variable calculus you shouldn't have any problem. In my course, we had to resort to L'Hopital's rule at some point, Taylor series, etc. but I think the course was pretty self-contained assuming you've covered everything in one of those massive high school/1st year college Calculus texts at some point or another. Speak with your professor about your situation just in case though.

Question: Is this a general introductory course on complex variables (e.g. learning to do calculus with complex numbers), or a full blown course on complex analysis? Looking closer at the course description you offered, analysis would certainly offer some motivation, but you should be able to manage without that background.

, but not analysis.I would recommend that you gather more information before making a decision. Firstly, I would suggest reaching out to the professor and asking for their opinion on whether Real Analysis is a necessary prerequisite for the course. It's possible that the professor may have a different perspective on the level of difficulty and preparedness needed for the course.

Additionally, I would recommend talking to other students who have taken the course or similar courses in the past to get their insights and experiences. They may be able to provide valuable information on the level of difficulty and any potential gaps in knowledge needed for the course.

In terms of deciding between auditing, taking the class, or taking pass/fail, it ultimately depends on your goals and what you hope to gain from the course. If you are interested in learning the material and feel confident in your ability to keep up with the class, then taking the class may be the best option. However, if you are unsure of your preparedness or simply want to gain exposure to the material without the pressure of grades, auditing or taking the course pass/fail may be a better choice.

Overall, it's important to carefully consider your options and gather as much information as possible before making a decision. Good luck with your decision!

Related to Deciding whether to audit, take the class, or take pass/fail

1. What is the difference between auditing, taking the class, and taking pass/fail?

When auditing a class, you are not officially enrolled and will not receive a grade or credits. Taking the class means you are officially enrolled and will receive a grade and credits. Taking pass/fail means you will receive either a 'pass' or 'fail' on your transcript instead of a letter grade.

2. How do I decide which option is best for me?

It ultimately depends on your goals and individual circumstances. If you are looking to gain knowledge without the pressure of grades, auditing may be best. If you need the credits for your degree and are confident you can do well in the class, taking it for a grade may be the right choice. If you are unsure about your ability to do well in the class or have other commitments, taking the class pass/fail may be a good compromise.

3. Can I change my mind about my decision after the class has started?

It depends on the policies of your institution. Typically, you can change from auditing to taking the class for a grade or vice versa within a certain timeframe. However, once you have chosen the pass/fail option, it is usually not possible to switch to taking the class for a grade.

4. Will taking a class pass/fail affect my GPA?

Generally, taking a class pass/fail will not affect your GPA since a 'pass' or 'fail' grade does not factor into your GPA calculation. However, if you fail the class, it may negatively impact your GPA since some institutions count a 'fail' as 0.0 in their GPA calculation.

5. Are there any limitations or restrictions on choosing to audit, take the class, or take pass/fail?

Again, this may vary depending on your institution. Some schools may have limits on how many classes you can take for a pass/fail option, or may not allow certain classes to be taken pass/fail. It's important to check with your academic advisor or school policies before making a decision.