Deciding on a Master's Thesis Direction for PhD Admissions in Canada

In summary, the conversation discusses the requirements for admission into a PhD program in Canada, particularly the need for a master's thesis. The individual is wondering if they should rush through a mediocre thesis in order to start their PhD or if they should aim for something more substantial. The recommendation is to choose a topic based on their interests and to discuss the options with their graduate advisor and potential supervisor. It is also mentioned that it is possible to "flip over" a Master's into a PhD, but it is not always necessary to have a Master's before starting a PhD.
Dragonfall
I'm in Canada, where (usually) a master's degree, with a thesis, is required before being admitted in a PhD program. Now, I am told that a master's thesis does not need to be... substantial. However, you could say I'm ambitious (or stupid) and I want to get some original results. I'm in comp sci.

My question is this: should I rush out a mediocre thesis (ex., "An Implementation of So-and-So Algorithm in C++") then go for PhD, or try and do something substantial? I do plan on getting a PhD. Right now, I'm working on "lattice based cryptography", which apparently is very "hot".

Physics news on Phys.org
You know, I'm positive I've seen a PhD Comics about this exact topic.

What I would suggest is talking with prospective supervisors and picking a topic based on your interest rather than something you think you can get done quickly. You can't always judge how easy or fast a project is going to be (of course nor will you always enjoy what looks interesting, I suppose). But I would still choose based on your interests. Aiming for mediocre from the beginning doesn't give you much room to slack when things get tight.

Last edited:
I'm also in Canada, and you can oftentimes (University and Department depending) "flip over" a Master's (a non-course based Master's, of course) into a Ph.D., provided the scope of the work is sufficient, and that you've done enough work to merit this step up, and that your Supervisor and Department agree with this assessment.

However, most who go on to a Ph.D. usually have a Master's intermediary, because it's the equivalent of passing go and collecting $200 (i.e. you have something in case you're unable to continue for whatever reason). I've known people who've done this, and gone and defended their Ph.D.s, and also people who've just wanted to get out, and dropped back down from a Doctoral program and back into a Master's (or even, in one case, a guy who dropped all the way into an M.Eng. program just to get the hell out with *something*)

Long story short, talk to your grad advisor for the options available to you, and your supervisor to see which of these options might suit you best based on your intended work.

Related to Deciding on a Master's Thesis Direction for PhD Admissions in Canada

1. What factors should I consider when choosing a master's thesis direction for PhD admissions in Canada?

When deciding on a master's thesis direction for PhD admissions in Canada, it is important to consider your research interests and strengths, the research areas and faculty expertise at the universities you are interested in, and the potential for your research to make a significant contribution to your field. Additionally, you may want to consider the availability of funding or scholarship opportunities for your chosen topic.

2. How can I ensure that my master's thesis direction will prepare me for a PhD program in Canada?

To ensure that your master's thesis direction will prepare you for a PhD program in Canada, it is important to choose a research topic that aligns with your long-term academic and career goals. You should also consult with current or former PhD students in your field to gain insight into the expectations and requirements of a PhD program in Canada.

3. Can I change my master's thesis direction after being admitted to a PhD program in Canada?

While it is possible to change your master's thesis direction after being admitted to a PhD program in Canada, it is not recommended. Changing your research direction can significantly delay your progress and may not align with the expectations and requirements of your PhD program. It is best to carefully consider your master's thesis direction before applying to PhD programs.

4. Are there specific research areas that are more likely to be accepted for PhD admissions in Canada?

There is no specific research area that is more likely to be accepted for PhD admissions in Canada. Admissions decisions are based on a variety of factors, including the quality and potential impact of your research, your academic background and achievements, and the availability of funding and supervision in your chosen research area.

5. How can I make my master's thesis direction stand out to admissions committees for PhD programs in Canada?

To make your master's thesis direction stand out to admissions committees for PhD programs in Canada, it is important to clearly articulate your research interests and goals, as well as the potential significance and impact of your proposed research. Additionally, highlighting any relevant research experience, publications, or awards can help demonstrate your potential as a PhD candidate in your chosen field.