Deciding Between Logic & Psychology: What Would You Have Chosen?

In summary: I have taken Psychology before and enjoyed it, but I am currently considering other options.In summary, if you're undecided about which course to take, take Psychology. If you've taken Psychology before, take Sociology. If you're undecided about which course to take, take Introduction to Logic.
heman
I have to take one out of these and i am really confused whether i should take Logic or Psychology.I have previously studied Psychology and enjoyed that but at the moment i am considering other option..

What would you have had taken and why if you had to choose one of these?

English
Economics
Introduction to Logic
Psychology
Sanskrit
Sociology

Physics news on Phys.org
What is your major?

I would take psych or econ.

Depends, have you previously taken any of these courses? I think if you liked Psychology you should definitely try Sociology, it would be a great compliment to the curriculum as it would give you yet another totally different way of looking at human behavior. But Logic is good too, which I would probably take as I'm already taking sociology, economics, english and psych. Logic would be good if you like philosophy and stuff like that. I'm assuming you're a first/second year-ish right?

I say you should take sanskrit. :wink:

Take the course with the better prof. Learning something always beats learning nothing. OTOH, many an employer will ask you whether you've taken any Econ.

Sociology, Sanskrit, or Psychology. But why the hell does my opinion matter?
You pick what you want.

EnumaElish said:
Take the course with the better prof. Learning something always beats learning nothing. OTOH, many an employer will ask you whether you've taken any Econ.
Yes, Econ looks good on paper.

Perhaps my favorite undergrad class not related to my field of study was psychology. Learning about how people behave in general can teach you a lot about how to understand and control your own behavior.

Logic!

It's fundamental, so you should take it first. It's also more useful in your major.

SpaceTiger said:
Perhaps my favorite undergrad class not related to my field of study was psychology. Learning about how people behave in general can teach you a lot about how to understand and control your own behavior.
So you're interested in Psychology like me! :approve:

he hasn't said what his major is yet...

I agree with HRW on this one. Logic was the most important course I have ever taken! And the most useful in every area of my other studies (and in some cases, my day-to-day life.)

Sorry for the shouting - the prospect of someone learning logic gets me all excited. I'm calm now. :smile:
If you have the time, taking one of the more discussion-intensive classes and covering logic on your own might serve you better. I think logic is one of the easiest subjects to learn on your own, especially if you're already accustomed to formal languages. And this would add a bit of variety to your schedule (variety is thee spice of life, they say :wink:). If you wanted to go this route, I'd gladly help you along if or when you needed it.
Math Is Hard said:
I agree with HRW on this one. Logic was the most important course I have ever taken! And the most useful in every area of my other studies (and in some cases, my day-to-day life.)
Uh-oh, I'm getting excited again...

I'd take Sanskrit. I can't stand social sciences, and university logic classes go way too slowly. You can get through the book they use in two weeks if you do it on your own.

First of all,Thanks for your responses..and yeah HRW is very right,My major is Computer Science and this is my 2nd year with 3 more years to go.
As per HRW claims and other people,I have started thinking that i should go for LOGIC because i think it is very useful for Computer Science.

But one more thing is that i am supposed to choose 1 out of six for consecutive 4 more years.So should i stick to Logic for the rest of years or keep on changing.

heman said:
But one more thing is that i am supposed to choose 1 out of six for consecutive 4 more years.So should i stick to Logic for the rest of years or keep on changing.
Sticking with the choice you've made sounds Logical.

heman said:
They'll let you take Introduction to Logic for four years? Are these year-long classes? What does Introduction to Logic cover? Have you taken any classes on theory yet (something like Theory of Computation, covering Turing machines, decidability, etc.)?

Psycho is my choice

Related to Deciding Between Logic & Psychology: What Would You Have Chosen?

1. What is the difference between logic and psychology?

Logic is the study of reasoning and argumentation, while psychology is the study of the mind and behavior. Logic involves the use of rational thinking and deduction to reach conclusions, while psychology focuses on understanding the cognitive, emotional, and behavioral processes that drive human behavior.

2. Which field is more practical or useful in daily life?

Both logic and psychology have practical applications in daily life. Logic can help us make sound decisions and solve problems, while psychology can help us better understand ourselves and others, improve relationships, and manage our emotions.

3. Can you pursue both logic and psychology simultaneously?

Yes, it is possible to study and apply both logic and psychology at the same time. In fact, the two fields can complement each other, as logic can help us critically evaluate psychological theories and research, and psychology can provide insights into the reasoning processes behind human behavior.

4. Is one field more scientific than the other?

Both logic and psychology are considered scientific fields, but they use different methods and approaches. Logic relies on deductive and inductive reasoning, while psychology uses empirical research and experimentation to study the mind and behavior.

5. Which field offers more career options?

Both logic and psychology have a wide range of career options. Logic can lead to careers in fields such as law, computer science, and mathematics, while psychology offers opportunities in areas such as counseling, research, and education. Ultimately, the best choice will depend on an individual's interests, skills, and career goals.