Decide the Center of Mass for Rotational Body K

In summary: I told you. Keep track of the constants separately. I'm trying to show you how to integrate x*sin(x)^2*cos(x). The constants are the easy part.
Pir

Homework Statement

The curve [tex]y = sinx\sqrt{3cosx},
0\leq x\leq \pi /2[/tex] rotates around the x-axis and creates a homogenous rotational body K.

a) Decide the volume of K.

b) Decide the center of mass for K.

(The x-coordinate of the center of mass is [tex]X_{T} = \frac{1}{m}\int_{K}^{} x dm[/tex], where m is the mass of of K.)

Homework Equations

[tex]X_{T} = \frac{1}{m}\int_{K}^{} x dm[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I have decided a) and I got the volume to be ∏ volume units. I need help with b).

I try to use the formula and I get this:

[tex]X_{T} = \frac{1}{\pi}\int_{K}^{} 3\pi x sin^2xcosx dx[/tex]

But I need help how to solve this integral (if it's correct?). Please help me with this, how do I solve this integral?

Physics news on Phys.org
Pir said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

[tex]X_{T} = \frac{1}{m}\int_{K}^{} x dm[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I have decided a) and I got the volume to be ∏ volume units. I need help with b).

I try to use the formula and I get this:

[tex]X_{T} = \frac{1}{\pi}\int_{K}^{} 3\pi x sin^2xcosx dx[/tex]

But I need help how to solve this integral (if it's correct?). Please help me with this, how do I solve this integral?

Did you try integration by parts?

Is that formula correct to begin with?

I tried integrating by parts but I couldn't solve it. Please help by writing how to do it. I have a test in two days and I need to know how to solve this before then and it takes forever if I have to ask for one step at a time when there might be several questions.

Pir said:
Is that formula correct to begin with?

I tried integrating by parts but I couldn't solve it. Please help by writing how to do it. I have a test in two days and I need to know how to solve this before then and it takes forever if I have to ask for one step at a time when there might be several questions.

Yes, it looks correct. Try parts using u=x dv=sin(x)^2*cos(x)dx.

Dick said:
Yes, it looks correct. Try parts using u=x dv=sin(x)^2*cos(x)dx.

I don't understand, please write how to do it. You mean substitute x with u? That doesn't really change anything, there are still three factors.

Pir said:
I don't understand, please write how to do it. You mean substitute x with u? That doesn't really change anything, there are still three factors.

No, I mean do integration by parts with those as the parts. ##\int u dv=uv-\int v du##. That's integration by parts.

wrong

Last edited:
What happens with the pi?

And why isn't the x integrated with the rest? Shouldn't it be 1/2 x^2?

Pir said:
What happens with the pi?

And why isn't the x integrated with the rest? Shouldn't it be 1/2 x^2?

You can just factor out the constants like 3 and pi. And it doesn't sound like you done integration by parts before. There are some examples here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Integration_by_parts Start from u=x and dv=sin(x)^2*cos(x)dx. Try to figure out what v is by integrating dv.

Yes the pi can be factored out but DID YOU NOTICE THAT THERE'S ALSO A 1/PI, DICK? What happens with that?

Pir said:
Yes the pi can be factored out but DID YOU NOTICE THAT THERE'S ALSO A 1/PI, DICK? What happens with that?

I told you. Keep track of the constants separately. I'm trying to show you how to integrate x*sin(x)^2*cos(x). The constants are the easy part.

Related to Decide the Center of Mass for Rotational Body K

What is the center of mass?

The center of mass is a point in a system or object where the mass is evenly distributed in all directions. It is also known as the center of gravity.

Why is it important to determine the center of mass?

Determining the center of mass allows us to understand how an object will move and behave in response to external forces. It is also crucial in designing stable structures and machines.

How do you calculate the center of mass?

The center of mass can be calculated by finding the weighted average of the individual masses and their respective distances from a reference point. This is often done using mathematical equations or with physical experiments.

What factors affect the location of the center of mass?

The location of the center of mass is affected by the shape, density, and distribution of mass within an object. External forces such as gravity and friction can also influence the position of the center of mass.

What are some real-life applications of determining the center of mass?

Determining the center of mass has many practical applications, including designing stable buildings and bridges, understanding the movement of objects in space, and improving the performance of vehicles such as airplanes and cars. It is also important in sports, such as balancing in gymnastics or throwing a discus.