Debye Frequency for 1D atomic chain

In summary, the Debye frequency for a one-dimensional chain of N identical atoms of mass M interacting by nearest-neighbour spring constants of magnitude C can be written as w_{D}=\pi \left(\frac{C}{M}\right)^{1/2}. This is derived by using the density of states in frequency and integrating to find the Debye wavevector. Finally, using the dispersion relation for a linear atomic chain, we can express the Debye frequency as w_{D}=\pi \left(\frac{C}{M}\right)^{1/2}.
Onamor

Homework Statement

Consider phonons propagating on a one-dimensional chain of N identical atoms of mass M interacting by nearest-neighbour spring constants of magnitude C.
Show that the Debye frequency can be written as [tex]w_{D}=\pi \left(\frac{C}{M}\right)^{1/2}[/tex].

Homework Equations

The dispersion relation for a 1D chain of monovalent atoms:
[tex]w(k)=\left(\frac{4C}{M}\right)^{1/2}\left|sin(\frac{1}{2}ka)\right|[/tex]

gives the density of states in frequency:
[tex]g(w)=\frac{2N}{\pi w_{ZB} \left(1-\frac{w^{2}}{w_{ZB}^{2}}\right)^{1/2}}[/tex]

where [tex]w_{ZB}=\left(\frac{4C}{M}\right)^{1/2}[/tex] is the frequency at the Brillouin zone boundary.

The Attempt at a Solution

The Debye cut-off frequency is defined by [tex]N=\int^{w_{D}}_{0}g(w)dw[/tex] where [tex]N[/tex] is the number of unit cells.

Doing the math i get [tex]N=\frac{2N}{\pi}\int^{w_D}_{0}\frac{dw}{\left(w_{ZB}^{2} - w^{2}\right)^{1/2}}[/tex]
And the integral is equal to arctan of the integrand... at which point I assume I've gone wrong.

Am I using the right dispersion relation? I've tried using [tex]w=v_{sound}k[/tex] but that didn't work either.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The integral is not expressible in terms of arctan, but arcsin.

However, I think you are doing unnecessary calculations twice. You first convert the density of states from k to frequency domain using the dispresion relation [itex]\omega = \omega(k)[/itex] and the number conservation principle:

[tex]
g(\omega) \, d\omega = g(k) \, dk
[/tex]

and then integrate this over [itex]\omega[/itex]. However, you could easily convert the integral to k domain again:

[tex]
N = \int_{0}^{\omega_{D}}{g(\omega) \, d\omega} = \int_{0}^{k_{D}}{g(k) \, dk}, \; \omega_{D} = \omega(k_{D})
[/tex]

However, it is much easier to do the k integral because:

[tex]
g(k) \, dk = \frac{L}{2\pi} \times 2 \, dk \Rightarrow g(k) = \frac{L}{\pi}
[/tex]

where [itex]L[/itex] is the total length of the 1-D crystal. So, obtain the Debye wavevector [itex]k_{D}[/itex] and then use the dispersion relation to express the DEbye frequency.

Finally, what is:

[tex]
\frac{N}{L} = ?
[/tex]

Hi, thanks so much for your help - very much appreciated.

I get the Debye wavevector from [tex]N=\int^{k_{D}}_{0}g(k)dk=\int^{k_{D}}_{0}\frac{L}{\pi}dk=\frac{k_{D}L}{\pi}[/tex]
ie [tex]k_{D}=\frac{N\pi}{L}[/tex]

putting this into the dispersion relation gives [tex]w(k_{D})=\left(\frac{4C}{M}\right)^{1/2}\left|sin\left(\frac{N\pi a}{2L}\right)\right|[/tex]

and since [tex]\frac{N}{L}=\frac{1}{a}[/tex] we have

[tex]w_{D}=w(k_{D})=\left(\frac{4C}{M}\right)^{1/2}\left|sin\left(\frac{\pi}{2}\right)\right|=2\left(\frac{C}{M}\right)^{1/2}[/tex]

which isn't quite right according to the question, but there may be a mistake in the question (it's not from a past paper). sorry if I'm being dim...

I have this homework problem too, and I have no idea how to do it. How do you get rid of the '4' and the 'sin' in the equation?

The equation to be derived looks very similar to the equation for a spring, so do I just have to derive the equation of the spring? I'd appreciate it much if anyone helped.

Solution

the density of states for a linear atomic chain is (as previously stated)

[itex] D( \omega )=\frac{ L }{ \pi } \frac{ dk }{d \omega} [/itex]

that in the Debye's assumption of [itex] \omega = v k [/itex], becomes

[itex] D( \omega )=\frac{ L }{ \pi } \frac{ dk }{d \omega} ≈ \frac{ L }{v \pi } [/itex]

the total number of states in a 1D atomic chain (assuming a single degree of freedom per particle)
is N=L/a with "L" the total chain length and "a" the spacing.

hence by definition the Debye's frequency must fullfill

[itex]N= \frac {L}{a} = \int ^{ \omega _D} _{0} D( \omega ) d \omega = \omega _D \frac{ L }{v \pi }

[/itex]

[itex] \omega _D = \frac{ \pi v }{a} [/itex]

Now for a linear atomic chain [itex] \omega (k) = 2 (C/M)^{1/2} |Sin (ka/2)| [/itex]

Hence in the long wavelength approximation (i.e. linearized around k->0),
[itex] \omega= k a (C/M)^{1/2} [/itex]

hence [itex] v= a (C/M)^{1/2} [/itex]

that by substitution provides: [itex] \omega _D= \pi (C/M)^{1/2} [/itex] (q.e.d.)

Last edited:

Related to Debye Frequency for 1D atomic chain

1. What is Debye frequency for 1D atomic chain?

The Debye frequency for 1D atomic chain is the highest vibrational frequency that can exist in a one-dimensional crystal lattice. It is named after the physicist Peter Debye, who first introduced the concept in 1912.

2. How is Debye frequency calculated for a 1D atomic chain?

The Debye frequency for a 1D atomic chain can be calculated using the formula ωD = √(K/m), where ωD is the Debye frequency, K is the spring constant of the bonds between atoms, and m is the mass of the atoms.

3. What is the significance of Debye frequency in 1D atomic chains?

The Debye frequency is an important parameter in understanding the thermal and mechanical properties of a 1D atomic chain. It can help determine the energy required to break bonds between atoms and the temperature at which the chain will break down.

4. How does the Debye frequency change with temperature in a 1D atomic chain?

The Debye frequency is directly proportional to the square root of temperature. As the temperature increases, so does the Debye frequency. This is because at higher temperatures, the atoms vibrate more rapidly, resulting in a higher frequency of oscillation.

5. Can the Debye frequency be experimentally measured for a 1D atomic chain?

Yes, the Debye frequency can be measured using a variety of experimental techniques, such as inelastic neutron scattering or Raman spectroscopy. These methods allow for the determination of the vibrational frequencies of the atoms in a 1D atomic chain, from which the Debye frequency can be calculated.