Debunking HUP explanation myth

In summary, textbooks and teachers explain the Heisenberg Position-Momentum Uncertainty Principle using the famous thought experiment of photons striking an electron, but do not actually provide a complete statement of HUP. Molu suggests that the explanation is terrible because it misses the point - the inability to measure two observables whose operators do not commute is a fundamental property of quantum mechanics.
loom91
Hi,

All my chemistry textbooks (thankfully not the physics ones) and my teachers (unfortunately including the physics ones) seem bent on 'explaining' the Heisenberg Position-Momentum Uncertainty Principle using the famous thought experiment of photons striking an electron, and not one of them actually give a complete statement of HUP (they say product of uncertainties is half-h-bar without explaining that uncertainty in this context means standard deviation of observable).

I'm trying to prepare a report on why this example is not a valid derivation of HUP. I describe the reasoning below:-

In order to observe an electron, we need to 'hit it' with light. The more precisely we want to know the position, the shorter we have to make the wavelength, but the more energetic the photon becomes, disturbing the original trajectory of the electron thus increasing the uncertainty in momentum. The best books even accompany this with an illustration. This explanation is present in even books written by national government sanctioned whole workshops of authors.

The two counter-arguments I can currently find are:-

1)It is possible to measure an observable without physically disturbing the state it courtesy Bell's Theorem.
2)The explanation does not actually explain anything, since it makes no attempt to precisely define measurements or uncertainties.

More arguments/corrections/more concrete reformulations will be appreciated. I'm seeking to prepare a report which will convince a hardened old teacher and a national educational board of their errors, and it is probably a folly to assume any significant amount of prior theoretical knowledge on their part (for example I doubt how many know about entanglement). Also, this is mainly for personnel from chemistry as those from physics are at least slightly more educated in this respect.

Thanks.

Molu

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, the fact that, in QM formalism, you can measure the position in one direction and still know the momentum exactly in an orthogonal one would seem to me to discount their explanaion. Of course, I'm not aware of an experiment that does this, but that doesn't mean there isn't one.

To me, the chemistry book's explanation is terrible because it misses the point - the inability to measure two observables whose operators do not commute is a fundamental property of quantum mechanics, and has nothing whatsoever to do with the way they are measured.

Locrian said:
Well, the fact that, in QM formalism, you can measure the position in one direction and still know the momentum exactly in an orthogonal one would seem to me to discount their explanaion. Of course, I'm not aware of an experiment that does this, but that doesn't mean there isn't one.

To me, the chemistry book's explanation is terrible because it misses the point - the inability to measure two observables whose operators do not commute is a fundamental property of quantum mechanics, and has nothing whatsoever to do with the way they are measured.

What do you mean by 'know'? You mean that the same state may be an eigenstate of the position and the momentum operators in orthogonal directions?

Any other arguments?

loom91 said:
Any other arguments?
As I understand it, HUP points out that there is only so much information in a state. The limitation is in the state, not in the measurement of the state.

Last edited:
I mostly agree with jimmysnyder, but to state it more "ontologically" we can interpret the HUP as saying:

There are no actual situations in nature that warrant the assignment of sharp values to conjugate physical properties.

Note that I did not use the word "simultaneously" as for instance positions at distinct measurement times also in general do not commute.

Related to Debunking HUP explanation myth

1. What is the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle (HUP)?

The Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics that states that it is impossible to simultaneously know the exact position and momentum of a particle. This means that the more accurately we know the position of a particle, the less we know about its momentum, and vice versa.

2. What is the HUP explanation myth?

The HUP explanation myth is the belief that the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle is due to limitations in our ability to measure or observe particles. This explanation is often used in popular media and misconstrued to mean that particles exist in multiple states at the same time or that the act of measurement itself affects the behavior of particles.

3. How has the HUP been debunked?

The HUP has been debunked through numerous experiments and theoretical developments in quantum mechanics. These studies have shown that the uncertainty principle is not due to limitations in our measurement tools, but rather a fundamental property of quantum particles. Additionally, the idea that particles exist in multiple states is a misinterpretation of the principle and has been disproven by experiments such as the double-slit experiment.

4. Why is it important to debunk the HUP explanation myth?

It is important to debunk the HUP explanation myth because it perpetuates a misunderstanding of quantum mechanics and can lead to misconceptions about the nature of reality. It also undermines the scientific understanding and evidence that supports the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle, which is a crucial concept in modern physics.

5. How does the HUP impact our understanding of the universe?

The HUP is a fundamental principle that has profound implications for our understanding of the universe. It has shown that at the subatomic level, the behavior of particles is inherently uncertain and unpredictable. This challenges our classical understanding of cause and effect and highlights the strange and fascinating nature of quantum mechanics. The HUP also plays a crucial role in various technologies, such as electron microscopes and atomic clocks, that rely on precise measurements at the quantum level.