DeBroglie wavelength / particle phys

In summary, to deduce the de Broglie wavelength of a particle, one can use the equation \lambda = \frac{hc}{pc}, where p is the momentum term and c is the speed of light. This can be derived from the energy-momentum relationship E^2 = p^2c^2 + (m_0c^2)^2 and the fact that the total energy is the sum of the kinetic energy and the rest energy. Using this formula, the de Broglie wavelength of a Kaon with a kinetic energy of 2.0 GeV is calculated to be 0.51 fm, while the de Broglie wavelength of a Muon with a total energy of 400 MeV
opous
Would anybody be able to advise how I would approach the following question?

Deduce which of the following has the loner de Broglie wavelength:

1. A Kaon with kinetic energy of 2.0 GeV
2. A Muon with TOTAL energy of 400 MeV

I know the deBroglie wavelength is h/p, but I'm unsure how to calculate p based on the kinetic/total energy...

Physics news on Phys.org
OK, I've found a couple of different formulae which seem to hint at a way into this question:

[tex]\lambda = \frac{hc}{\sqrt{2mc^{2}K}}[/tex]

where [tex]mc^{2}[/tex] is the rest mass energy and K is the Kinetic Energy.

This would mean that:

1. [tex]\lambda_{kaon} = \frac{1240eVnm}{\sqrt{2m_{kaon}c^{2}2.0GeV}}[/tex]

where [tex]m_{kaon} = 493.7 MeV/c^{2}[/tex]

Which I get to be [tex]\lambda = 0.88fm[/tex]

However I'm not sure I'm on the right track here... I'm conscious that the question may require specific formulae for particle physics, and I have no idea where a formulae using the total energy can be found for this question..

Edit... in fact I'm virtually certain this is wrong, the text makes it clear that this is for LOW energy particles, not high. Back to square 1.

Last edited:
Start with the energy-momentum relationship [tex]E^2 = p^2c^2 + (m_0c^2)^2[/tex] where pc is the momentum term, [tex]m_0c^2[/tex] is the rest energy, and E is the total energy. You also know that the total energy is the sum of the kinetic energy and the rest energy. With some algebra, you can use these to find pc in terms of kinetic energy.

^ ok, so considering the total energy:

[tex]E_{tot} = pc + (m_{0}c^{2})[/tex]

ie, [tex]pc = E_{tot} - m_{0}c^{2}[/tex]

So I should be able to use:
[tex]\lambda = \frac{hc}{pc} = \frac{hc}{E_{tot} - m_{0}c^{2}}[/tex]

for the total energy expression?

This would give [tex]\lambda_{muon} = 4.21fm[/tex] where [tex]m_{0,muon} = 105.7MeV/c^{2}[/tex]

However, I still can't see a different way in calculating [tex]\lambda_{kaon}[/tex] than I have in my post above...

Last edited:
Unless... I use this:

[tex]E^{2} = p^{2}c^{2} + m_{0}^{2}c^{4}[/tex]
[tex]E = mc^{2} = KE + m_{0}c^{2}[/tex]
[tex]p^{2}c^{2} = KE^{2} + 2KEm_{0}c^{2} + m_{0}^{2}c^{4} - m_{0}^{2}c^{4}[/tex]
[tex]pc = \sqrt{KE^{2} + 2KEm_{0}c^{2}[/tex]

So...

1. A Kaon with kinetic energy of 2.0 GeV

[tex]\lambda_{kaon} = \frac{hc}{\sqrt{KE^{2} + 2KEm_{0}c^{2}}} = 0.51fm[/tex]

2. A Muon with TOTAL energy of 400 MeV

[tex]\lambda_{muon} = \frac{hc}{E_{tot} - m_{0}c^{2}} = 4.21fm[/tex]

In which case [tex]\lambda_{muon} > \lambda_{kaon}[/tex]

Does this look right? I'm a bit concerned I've done something totally wrong here!

opous said:

ie, [tex]pc = E_{tot} - m_{0}c^{2}[/tex]

So I should be able to use:
[tex]\lambda = \frac{hc}{pc} = \frac{hc}{E_{tot} - m_{0}c^{2}}[/tex]

for the total energy expression?

This would give [tex]\lambda_{muon} = 4.21fm[/tex] where [tex]m_{0,muon} = 105.7MeV/c^{2}[/tex]

However, I still can't see a different way in calculating [tex]\lambda_{kaon}[/tex] than I have in my post above...

You somehow lost the squares on the terms in the energy-momentum equation in your first steps when you worked out your expression for the muon.
I think your equation for the kaon is correct, so just fix the muon one.

opous said:

This does not follow from the equation that hage567 gave you. In effect, you're trying to go from [itex]c^2 = a^2 + b^2[/itex] to [itex]c = a + b[/itex] which doesn't work because [itex]\sqrt{a^2 + b^2} \ne a + b[/itex].

Ah, got you, so redoing the Muon one:

[tex]\lambda_{muon} = \frac{hc}{pc} = \frac{hc}{\sqrt{E_{tot}^{2} - (m_{0}c^{2})^{2}}}[/tex]

Giving

[tex]\lambda_{muon} = 3.21 fm[/tex]

I think I get that now, thanks for the clarification hage567 and jtbell!

Related to DeBroglie wavelength / particle phys

1. What is DeBroglie wavelength?

The DeBroglie wavelength is a concept in particle physics that describes the wavelength of a particle, such as an electron or proton, in motion. It is named after French physicist Louis de Broglie, who postulated that all particles have wave-like properties.

2. How is DeBroglie wavelength calculated?

The DeBroglie wavelength is calculated using the equation λ = h/mv, where h is Planck's constant, m is the mass of the particle, and v is the velocity of the particle. This equation shows the inverse relationship between the wavelength and the momentum of a particle.

3. What is the significance of DeBroglie wavelength in particle physics?

The DeBroglie wavelength is significant because it helps us understand the wave-particle duality of matter. It demonstrates that particles can behave like waves, and that their wavelength is related to their momentum. This concept has important implications in quantum mechanics and the understanding of fundamental particles.

4. How does DeBroglie wavelength relate to Heisenberg's uncertainty principle?

The DeBroglie wavelength is related to Heisenberg's uncertainty principle, which states that the more precisely we know the momentum of a particle, the less precisely we know its position. This is because the DeBroglie wavelength describes the uncertainty in the position and momentum of a particle, and the uncertainty principle sets a limit on how precisely these properties can be known simultaneously.

5. Can the DeBroglie wavelength be observed in experiments?

Yes, the DeBroglie wavelength has been observed in many experiments, including the famous double-slit experiment. In this experiment, electrons are fired at a barrier with two narrow slits, and the resulting interference pattern on a screen behind the barrier demonstrates the wave-like behavior of these particles. This phenomenon has been observed with other particles as well, further supporting the concept of wave-particle duality and the DeBroglie wavelength.