DeBroglie wavelength, kE to (p) conversion?

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty of solving for the deBroglie wavelength when only the kinetic energy is known. It is mentioned that both the rest mass and velocity are needed to determine the kinetic energy of a relativistic particle. Approximations can be made if the particle is moving at non-relativistic speeds, but this depends on the available information. It is suggested to provide specific details in order to determine the solution.
Joel DB
I have a relatively simple question. I should know this, but...
I need to solve for the deBroglie wavelength when only the kinetic energy is known. Shouldn't I be able to convert kE to momentum (p), when the object does not have a known velocity or mass...?

Much thanks...
JD

Physics news on Phys.org
Joel DB said:
I have a relatively simple question. I should know this, but...
I need to solve for the deBroglie wavelength when only the kinetic energy is known. Shouldn't I be able to convert kE to momentum (p), when the object does not have a known velocity or mass...?

Much thanks...
JD
No. You need both the rest mass and the velocity to determine the kinetic energy of a relativistic particle. Alternatively, you can use the total energy and the rest mass to determine the momentum (essentially the same thing).

However, if you know that the particle is moving at non-relativistic speeds, or very close to the speed of light, then there are some approximations you can use. But again, the usefulness of these depends on what you know.

Perhaps it would be easier if you tell use precisely what you know.

Related to DeBroglie wavelength, kE to (p) conversion?

1. What is the DeBroglie wavelength?

The DeBroglie wavelength, also known as the matter wavelength, is the wavelength associated with a moving particle. It is named after French physicist Louis de Broglie, who proposed that all particles have both wave-like and particle-like properties.

2. How is the DeBroglie wavelength calculated?

The DeBroglie wavelength is calculated using the formula λ = h/mv, where λ is the wavelength, h is Planck's constant, m is the mass of the particle, and v is the velocity of the particle.

3. What is the relationship between DeBroglie wavelength and kinetic energy?

The DeBroglie wavelength is inversely proportional to the kinetic energy of a particle. This means that as the kinetic energy increases, the DeBroglie wavelength decreases, and vice versa.

4. How can DeBroglie wavelength be converted to momentum?

DeBroglie wavelength can be converted to momentum using the formula p = h/λ, where p is the momentum and λ is the DeBroglie wavelength.

5. Why is the DeBroglie wavelength important in quantum mechanics?

The DeBroglie wavelength is important in quantum mechanics because it helps explain the wave-particle duality of matter. It also plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior and properties of subatomic particles.