Death penalty - to tell or not to tell?

• Thread starter BenVitale
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Death
In summary: No, I believe it would be much harder to tell a patient that he is dying if he was a doctor. I think it might be easier if the patient was given some sort of false hope. I think it would be worse if the patient was given false hope and then was let down when the truth came out.
BenVitale
BBC News : Japan hangs two death row inmates

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-10785131

Opinion polls show broad support for capital punishment in Japan.
A total of 107 inmates remain on death row in Japan. Prisoners are usually executed two or three at a time.
Prisoners are not told when they will be executed and their relatives are told only after the sentence has been carried out.

My question :

In Japan, prisoners are not told when they will be executed. So, what is worse, to be told or not to be told?

Physics news on Phys.org
To be told, especially when last minute reprieves can move it till a later date. I think it would be hell, preparing yourself to die only to be told not yet, then going through it all again, over and over.

To tell or not to tell? I'm not sure.

But according to this article:

http://www.victimsofviolence.on.ca/rev2/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=327&Itemid=17

Not knowing when or if you will be executed is cruel and unusual punishment.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe slightly less macabre, should doctors tell their terminal patients the news and if so how much time they have left?

skeptic2 said:
Maybe slightly less macabre, should doctors tell their terminal patients the news and if so how much time they have left?

Since I'm not a doctor, I went to http://www.healthcaremagic.com/healthpage/Does-a-doctor-have-to-tell-a-patient-he-is-dying

And, http://www.healthcaremagic.com/community/Hypertension-and-Heart-Disease/Does-a-doctor-have-to-tell-a-patient-he-is-dying-/21085]Does a doctor have to tell a patient he is dying

It says, No.

What good does it do to tell? I think it's better not to tell, the doctor could be wrong, and the patient recovers ... by telling, the patient will just give up.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it would be worse not to be told because you would know it could be coming any day so you would worry if today was you day.

John Creighto said:
I think it would be worse not to be told because you would know it could be coming any day so you would worry if today was you day.
That is what you won't do.

Let 3-4 days of agitation pass, and human optimism shows itself, and you think no more of it.

To maintain mental equilibrium is a strong psychic need for humans, living in "needless" anguish is anti-thetical to that.

Not that I hereby have said I endorse execution, or for that matter, the Japanese way of doing it.

There is an ethical basis for the right to fair and public trial. Informing people of all aspects of their punishment, including the possibility and reasons an execution could be re-scheduled should be included in that, I think. Cruelty in punishment is not necessary or desirable. If someone is already giving up their life to pay for crimes committed, why should they suffer beyond that? Of course, try to tell that to the people who lost loved ones due to their crime. Even though cruel and unusual punishment is supposed to be illegal, it seems to be the only means to evoke a sense of satisfaction or forgiveness in the victims, and even then may not be enough. Justice is very complex.

I would want to know if I was to be executed. That way one could try to make some sort of peace before death. To find out right before the execution that you were going to die would be too much to handle.
Now let's look at it from the other way. If a guy murdered a member of my family I would hope he would know the execution was coming so would have to spend the rest of his life thinking about how much (exact) time he had left.

As for doctors with terminal patients I would hope that they would tell the truth. (I have some personal experience with this one). If I only had a few days to live I would want to make sure I was able to see all of my friends and family. Plus, being given false hope makes loved ones feel completely blindsided when the person actually dies (even though they are not truly blindsided, it does feel that way).

DR13 said:
As for doctors with terminal patients I would hope that they would tell the truth. (I have some personal experience with this one). If I only had a few days to live I would want to make sure I was able to see all of my friends and family. Plus, being given false hope makes loved ones feel completely blindsided when the person actually dies (even though they are not truly blindsided, it does feel that way).

If you were a doctor, wouldn't it be very tough to tell a patient he is dying?

Haven't doctors seen time and time again patients living much longer than predicted or dying much sooner?

Aren't doctors notoriously bad at predicting how much time a patient has left?

Their predictions are based on statistics

Isn't it part of their jobs to give hope and sense of security?

BenVitale said:
If you were a doctor, wouldn't it be very tough to tell a patient he is dying?

Haven't doctors seen time and time again patients living much longer than predicted or dying much sooner?

Aren't doctors notoriously bad at predicting how much time a patient has left?

Their predictions are based on statistics

Isn't it part of their jobs to give hope and sense of security?

1. So what if it's tough? Doctors are paid to do this. It is part of the job description.
2. This is true but the patient also has a right to know the condition of their own body.
3. I wouldn't say this is true. Sure, some patients defy the odds but doctors often give cancer patients the 5 year survival rate to illustrate their condition.
4. So?
5. There is a fine line between giving hope and lying to a patient.

Related to Death penalty - to tell or not to tell?

1. What is the purpose of the death penalty?

The purpose of the death penalty, also known as capital punishment, is to punish those who have committed heinous crimes such as murder, treason, or espionage. It is intended to serve as a deterrent to potential criminals and ensure justice for the victims and their families.

2. Is the death penalty an effective form of punishment?

There is much debate over the effectiveness of the death penalty. Some argue that it serves as a strong deterrent while others believe it is not a significant factor in preventing crime. Additionally, there is evidence that innocent people have been wrongly executed, calling into question its effectiveness as a fair form of punishment.

3. What are the arguments against the death penalty?

Some of the main arguments against the death penalty include the risk of executing innocent individuals, the high cost of death penalty cases, and the ethical concerns surrounding taking a person's life. There is also the issue of racial and socioeconomic disparities in the application of the death penalty, raising questions about its fairness and justice.

4. How does the death penalty compare to life imprisonment?

One of the main arguments for the death penalty is that it is a more severe punishment than life imprisonment, and therefore more effective as a deterrent. However, studies have shown that life imprisonment without the possibility of parole is just as effective as the death penalty in preventing future crimes, without the risk of executing an innocent person.

5. What are some alternative forms of punishment to the death penalty?

Some alternative forms of punishment to the death penalty include life imprisonment without the possibility of parole, rehabilitation programs, and restorative justice practices. These alternatives focus on rehabilitation and addressing the root causes of crime, rather than solely punishment and retribution.