Dealing with magnetic force into the page?

In summary, the conversation discusses the circular motion of a charged particle in a uniform magnetic field. The speaker is unsure how the particle can move in a circular motion when the magnetic force is pointing downwards, and seeks guidance on visualizing the motion and determining the correct approach for solving the problem.
jisbon
Homework Statement
A charged particle beam is accelerated through a potential difference of
211 V, shot horizontally into a region where there is a constant magnetic
field of magnitude ##2.45*10^{3}## T that points straight down. The charged
particles then move in a circular path of radius 2.00 cm. Determine the
charge to mass ratio of the charged particles.
Relevant Equations
-
Since the magnetic field is pointing down, I can derive that the magnetic force is into the page. With this, I can't really imagine how the particle can move in a circular motion as I cannot visualise how the centripetal force will look like when the force is into the page (instead of usual problems where the field is into the page and the charge simply deflect up/downwards).

Any visualization/guidance will be appreciated. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
The circular motion of a charged particle in a uniform B field is a standard topic. For example, you can read this short discussion and then ask questions here about anything that is not clear.

TSny said:
The circular motion of a charged particle in a uniform B field is a standard topic. For example, you can read this short discussion and then ask questions here about anything that is not clear.
In this case here, I can assume that the particle is moving in a helical motion since the velocity is not perpendicular to the magnetic field (it is pointing downwards instead of in the page).
In this case, can I still use:
1580360355875.png
?
If so, I can also determine that:
1580360461017.png

Hence, I will have:

##\begin{aligned}\dfrac {1}{2}mv^{2}=211q\\ 0.02=\dfrac {mv}{2.45\times 10^{-3}\left( q\right) }\end{aligned} ####\begin{aligned}\dfrac {q}{m}=\dfrac {1}{422}v^{2}\\ \dfrac {q}{m}=\dfrac {v}{4.9\times 10^{-5}}\end{aligned} ##
Will this be the correct approach?

Related to Dealing with magnetic force into the page?

1. What is the direction of the magnetic force when it is into the page?

The direction of the magnetic force when it is into the page is perpendicular to the surface and directed towards the center of the page.

2. How is the strength of the magnetic force into the page determined?

The strength of the magnetic force into the page is determined by the magnitude of the magnetic field and the angle between the field and the direction of the current.

3. How can you calculate the magnitude of the magnetic force into the page?

The magnitude of the magnetic force into the page can be calculated using the formula F = BIL, where B is the magnetic field, I is the current, and L is the length of the conductor.

4. What materials are affected by a magnetic force into the page?

Materials that are affected by a magnetic force into the page include ferromagnetic materials such as iron, nickel, and cobalt.

5. How can you protect yourself from a strong magnetic force into the page?

To protect yourself from a strong magnetic force into the page, you can use non-ferromagnetic materials such as aluminum or copper to shield yourself from the magnetic field.