Dealing w/slight modification of Gaussian integral?

In summary, the person is trying to evaluate a slight variation of the Gaussian integral for the first time as part of an integration by parts problem. They are unsure how to deal with the alpha in the exponent and have attempted to integrate by parts but ended up with zero. They are seeking further clarification on how to solve the problem.
Zacarias Nason
Hey, folks. I'm doing a problem wherein I have to evaluate a slight variation of the Gaussian integral for the first time, but I'm not totally sure how to go about it; this is part of an integration by parts problem where the dv is similar to a gaussian integral:

[tex] \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}x^2e^{-\alpha x^2} dx, \ \text{where} \ \alpha > 0 [/tex]. My question is, how should I deal with the alpha in the exponent? I know the Gaussian integral equals
[tex] \sqrt{\pi}[/tex]

But how do I deal with that alpha?

I thought I found my answer in a handout, but when I applied it, I ended up still being wrong; I attempted to integrate by parts and I got zero, the two terms cancelling each other out; what gives?

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Zacarias Nason said:
Hey, folks. I'm doing a problem wherein I have to evaluate a slight variation of the Gaussian integral for the first time, but I'm not totally sure how to go about it; this is part of an integration by parts problem where the dv is similar to a gaussian integral:

[tex] \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}x^2e^{-\alpha x^2} dx, \ \text{where} \ \alpha > 0 [/tex]. My question is, how should I deal with the alpha in the exponent? I know the Gaussian integral equals
[tex] \sqrt{\pi}[/tex]

But how do I deal with that alpha?

I thought I found my answer in a handout, but when I applied it, I ended up still being wrong; I attempted to integrate by parts and I got zero, the two terms cancelling each other out; what gives?
Try a substitution to get back to the basic form: ##y=\sqrt{\alpha} x##
Then integration by parts.

Likes Zacarias Nason

Related to Dealing w/slight modification of Gaussian integral?

1. What is a Gaussian integral?

A Gaussian integral is a type of definite integral that involves a Gaussian function, also known as a bell curve. It is commonly used in statistics and probability to calculate the area under the curve, which represents the probability of an event occurring.

2. How do you deal with slight modifications of a Gaussian integral?

Slight modifications of a Gaussian integral can be dealt with by using a technique called integration by parts. This involves breaking down the integral into smaller parts and using a specific formula to solve each part. It may also involve applying certain algebraic manipulations to simplify the integral.

3. What are some real-world applications of Gaussian integrals?

Gaussian integrals are used in a wide range of fields, including physics, economics, and engineering. They are used to model various phenomena such as the distribution of energy in a physical system, the distribution of stock prices in the financial market, and the distribution of noise in electronic systems.

4. Are there any limitations to using Gaussian integrals?

One limitation of using Gaussian integrals is that they can only be applied to functions that follow a Gaussian distribution, also known as a normal distribution. This means that they may not accurately represent non-normal distributions, which can occur in many real-world scenarios.

5. Can Gaussian integrals be solved analytically or do they require numerical methods?

Gaussian integrals can be solved analytically, meaning that a closed-form solution exists. However, for more complex integrals or those with multiple variables, numerical methods may be required to approximate the solution. These methods involve using algorithms and computer programs to calculate the integral to a desired level of accuracy.