Normalization of a gaussian wavefunction

In summary, the conversation discusses how to normalize a given wavefunction in quantum mechanics by finding its constant coefficient. The formula for normalizing is shown and the process of integrating it is discussed. The conversation ends with the suggestion to break up the integral into two parts to simplify the process.
skate_nerd
I'm given a wavefunction (I think it's implied this is some sort of solution to the Schrodinger equation) in my quantum mechanics class, and I need to normalize it to find its constant coefficient.
So I have
$$\psi(x)=Ne^{-\frac{|x-x_o|}{2a}}$$
And the formula for normalizing this to find \(N\) would be
$$\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\bar{\psi(x)}\psi(x){dx}=1$$
Plugging in \(\psi(x)\) gives
$$1=\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}N^{2}e^{-\frac{|x-x_o|}{a}}dx$$

At first I was thinking I could just take the derivative of the exponent and divide by that to solve the integral but I realized that wouldn't work out right, and this integral behaves somewhat like a gaussian integral like when you need to integrate \(e^{-x^2}\).

I know the process of how to integrate \(e^{-x^2}\) from negative infinity to infinity (defining the integral as I and then squaring it, changing to polar coordinates, u-subbing and then taking the root of that solution to get \(\sqrt{\pi}\)) but when I tried to do that with \(\frac{|x-x_o|}{a}\) instead of \(x^2\) I end up with a weird expression in the exponent that I don't know what to do with. I was hoping changing to polar coordinates would work but I don't see how to do that with this.
Any guidance would be really appreciated! Thanks

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Separate the integral to integrate $(-\infty, x_0]$ and $[x_0, \infty)$ separately. Then the absolute value disappears, you can factor out the constant $x_0$ and are left with a standard exponential. Or is $x$ a complex number or something like that? It's been a while since my introductory quantum mechanics class.

I don't think we are expected to know how to work with complex variables in this class so \(x\) is probably real.
But yeah I see what you're saying, and breaking up the bounds to make two integrals will be helpful if I can figure out how to integrate this crazy integrand...

skatenerd said:
I don't think we are expected to know how to work with complex variables in this class so \(x\) is probably real.
But yeah I see what you're saying, and breaking up the bounds to make two integrals will be helpful if I can figure out how to integrate this crazy integrand...

With complex numbers it could probably be worked about the same since the integral would be spherically symmetric, but I wouldn't know. Anyway once you've broken it up it becomes simple because the annoying absolute values disappear, as:

$$|x - x_0| = \begin{cases}x - x_0 ~ ~ ~ \mathrm{if} ~ x > x_0 \\ x_0 - x ~ ~ ~ \mathrm{if} ~ x < x_0\end{cases}$$

Furthermore since $|x - x_0|$ is symmetric you only need to compute one side of the integral, the whole integral is just twice that.

Ahhh I see what you're saying now! Thanks that helps a lot, neat little trick...

Related to Normalization of a gaussian wavefunction

1. What is a gaussian wavefunction?

A gaussian wavefunction is a mathematical representation of a quantum mechanical system, usually describing the probability distribution of a particle's position or momentum.

2. Why is it important to normalize a gaussian wavefunction?

Normalizing a gaussian wavefunction ensures that the total probability of finding a particle within a certain region is equal to 1. This is a fundamental requirement in quantum mechanics, as it represents the conservation of probability.

3. How do you normalize a gaussian wavefunction?

To normalize a gaussian wavefunction, you must integrate the wavefunction over all space and then divide by the square root of the integral. This will result in a probability of 1 for finding the particle within a certain region.

4. What happens if a gaussian wavefunction is not normalized?

If a gaussian wavefunction is not normalized, the total probability of finding the particle within a certain region will be less than 1. This can lead to incorrect predictions and violates the fundamental principles of quantum mechanics.

5. Can a gaussian wavefunction be normalized if it has complex values?

Yes, a gaussian wavefunction with complex values can still be normalized. The normalization factor will include the complex conjugate of the wavefunction, ensuring that the total probability is a real number.