De Broglie wavelengths and electron diffraction

In summary, to generate a diffraction pattern using electron diffraction, you need the de Broglie wavelength to be smaller than the lattice spacing.
DGriffiths
I am interested to know why in any description of electron diffraction apparatus they seem to suggest that the electrons need accelerating up to 5kV (or at least several kV) to show the electron diffraction rings, this seems to give a de Broglie wavelength of around 1.2 x 10^-11m whereas the lattice spacing in a graphite target is of the order of 2 x 10^-10m

Now working back from this to get de Broglie wavelength similar to this lattice spacing gives electron momentum of 3.32 x 10^-24kgm/s, ke of 6.03 x 10^-18J and so we are talking 37.8eV electrons?

Why isn't a 50V supply enough then why the need for 5kV?

Physics news on Phys.org
DGriffiths said:
I am interested to know why in any description of electron diffraction apparatus they seem to suggest that the electrons need accelerating up to 5kV (or at least several kV) to show the electron diffraction rings, this seems to give a de Broglie wavelength of around 1.2 x 10^-11m whereas the lattice spacing in a graphite target is of the order of 2 x 10^-10m

Now working back from this to get de Broglie wavelength similar to this lattice spacing gives electron momentum of 3.32 x 10^-24kgm/s, ke of 6.03 x 10^-18J and so we are talking 37.8eV electrons?

Why isn't a 50V supply enough then why the need for 5kV?

Hello DGriffiths.
De Broglie wavelength=h/mv and eV=0.5mv^2.
From the above, wavelength=h/(2eVm)^0.5
I am wondering if you used an incorrect equation or made a mistake in your calculations somewhere.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think you can run a CRT at 50 V.

I suspect the 5kV isn't required for the diffraction itself, but to literally show the pattern.

Perhaps diffraction will take place at those speeds, but this is hardly observable. To actually generate a nice diffraction pattern you need the ratio [tex]\lambda / d[/tex] to be small (and not of order 1). Here [tex]\lambda[/tex] is the de Broglie wavelength and d the lattice spacing.

The reason is that the peaks with minimum intensity are positioned at angles [tex]\theta_n[/tex] (as measured from the normal vector of the lattice)

[tex]\sin(\theta_n) = n\lambda / d[/tex]

So if [tex]\lambda / d[/tex] is of order 1, i.e. the two are of equal size, then the first minimum peak is at 90 degrees -- so you won't see a diffraction pattern at all. You will need the wavelength to be, preferably, a factor of 10 smaller. That way you can at least spot a couple of peaks of the diffraction pattern.

Yes, and from what I've read about the G. P. Thomson experiments, at slower electron speeds the circular wave pattern was larger but at a certain point the intensity and subsequent resolution dropped too low to be usable.

Thanks for all the replies folks, I didn't think about the ability to see a nice diffraction pattern being dependent on the correct lambda/d but that makes sense to me so cheers

Related to De Broglie wavelengths and electron diffraction

1. What is the De Broglie wavelength?

The De Broglie wavelength is a concept in quantum mechanics that describes the wavelength of a particle, such as an electron, in motion. It is named after physicist Louis de Broglie, who proposed that all particles have both wave-like and particle-like properties.

2. How is the De Broglie wavelength related to electron diffraction?

The De Broglie wavelength is related to electron diffraction in that it explains the wave-like behavior of electrons as they pass through a diffraction grating or crystal lattice. The wavelength of the electrons determines the spacing of the diffraction pattern, providing information about the structure of the material.

3. What factors affect the De Broglie wavelength of an electron?

The De Broglie wavelength of an electron is affected by its momentum and mass. As the momentum of the electron increases, its wavelength decreases. Additionally, heavier electrons have shorter De Broglie wavelengths compared to lighter electrons at the same velocity.

4. How is the De Broglie wavelength calculated?

The De Broglie wavelength can be calculated using the following formula: λ = h/mv, where λ is the wavelength, h is Planck's constant, m is the mass of the particle, and v is the velocity of the particle. This formula applies to any particle, not just electrons.

5. What is the significance of De Broglie wavelengths in modern physics?

The concept of De Broglie wavelengths is significant in modern physics as it provides a deeper understanding of the dual nature of particles and the wave-particle duality of matter. It also has practical applications in fields such as electron microscopy and materials science, where the diffraction of electrons can reveal information about the atomic and molecular structure of materials.