De Broglie Equations: Exploring Matter Waves

• Thread starter waterfire
  • Start date
  • Tags
    De broglie
In summary: So comparing it to other models can be a bit misleading. Secondly, Wikipedia is wrong in its statement that the phase velocity always exceeds the speed of light. Thirdly, the derivation of λ from the Schrodinger equation does not give you f=E/h. Fourthly, there is no single unambiguous velocity for matter waves.
waterfire
The de Broglie equations describing matter waves are $$\lambda = \frac{h}{p} , f = \frac{E}{h} .$$

When these are substituted into ##v = \lambda f## the result is $$v = \frac{E}{p} .$$

Now, when ##E = \frac{1}{2} m v^2## and ##p = m v## are substituted into this equation the result is $$v = \frac{1}{2} v .$$

What's going on here?

Physics news on Phys.org
waterfire said:
The de Broglie equations describing matter waves are $$\lambda = \frac{h}{p} , f = \frac{E}{h} .$$

When these are substituted into ##v = \lambda f## the result is $$v = \frac{E}{p} .$$

Now, when ##E = \frac{1}{2} m v^2## and ##p = m v## are substituted into this equation the result is $$v = \frac{1}{2} v .$$

What's going on here?

##v = \lambda f## doesn't give the velocity of the electron. It's a phase velocity not a group velocity. I'd elaborate more, but I'm not sure I understand it well enough to do that. But my rough understanding is that an electron is a packet of waves all moving at different velocities and that relationship only gives you the velocity of one of them, not the whole group. Maybe somebody else can make this clearer.

Last edited:
Thanks Dick, your answer helped a lot. Now I understand that the ##v## in ##v = \lambda f## is the phase velocity and the ##v##'s in ##E = \frac{1}{2} m v^2## and ##p = m v## are the group velocity.

I'm still a little confused though. As I understand it, in order to have a group velocity you must have multiple waves with different wavelengths. But the de Broglie equations seem to specify a single wavelength for a particle.

Another odd thing is that when my original post is corrected by substituting the phase and group velocities in the appropriate places, the final equation becomes $$v_{p} = \frac{1}{2} v_{g} .$$ This seems to contradict what I read today on Wikipedia: "the phase velocity of matter waves always exceeds ##c##".

Some websites I've found useful are:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phase_velocity#Matter_wave_phase
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Group_velocity#Matter-wave_group_velocity
http://www.lightandmatter.com/html_books/lm/ch35/ch35.html#Section35.2
This last site directly addresses the confusion I originally had.

Last edited by a moderator:
waterfire said:
Thanks Dick, your answer helped a lot. Now I understand that the ##v## in ##v = \lambda f## is the phase velocity and the ##v##'s in ##E = \frac{1}{2} m v^2## and ##p = m v## are the group velocity.

I'm still a little confused though. As I understand it, in order to have a group velocity you must have multiple waves with different wavelengths. But the de Broglie equations seem to specify a single wavelength for a particle.

Another odd thing is that when my original post is corrected by substituting the phase and group velocities in the appropriate places, the final equation becomes $$v_{p} = \frac{1}{2} v_{g} .$$ This seems to contradict what I read today on Wikipedia: "the phase velocity of matter waves always exceeds ##c##".

You are asking a really good question, and I don't think any of those sites really address it clearly, anymore than I did. I was hoping somebody would pop in and do that. I'm still confused. I'll try and put some time into thinking a little harder about this.

Okay, let's try it this way. You can derive λ=h/p from the nonrelativistic Schrodinger equation for a massive particle, which has no time dependence. That's ok. But it doesn't say anything about f or v, since there is no time dependence. You can also get λ=h/p for a massless relativistic particle from Planck's relation. That also gives you f=E/h since a massless particle travels at velocity c unambiguously. So I think the answer is that you can't apply f=E/h if you think E=mv^2/2 and you think fλ=v simultaneously. The Schrodinger derivation didn't really say anything about anything like 'v' or 'f'. Calling it a 'phase velocity' is probably a bit of a brush off. My opinion. Anybody else here can chip in.

Last edited:
waterfire said:

I think the first thing to bear in mind here is that the de Broglie matter-wave model is just a model and is not currently used as anything more than a stepping-stone idea to help you ease into quantum mechanics. Don't be concerned if you find flaws in it - the theoretical framework has advanced since de Broglie's day.

That said it is valid to discuss the model.

You seem to be thinking of a wave like ##y(x,t)=A\sin(kx-\omega t)##. You will notice that this kind of wave has an infinite extent in space.

Note: multiple waves of different wavelength may add up to one complicated wave with a single wavelength.

Since matter does not have an infinite extent through space, the matter wave must form a wave-packet - i.e. the wavelength may be fixed but the amplitude is not. Such a wave packet can be considered to be composed of many continuous sign waves with different wavelengths.

For the other - I think you may need to start from farther back in the derivation.
I think you may have implicitly put ##\frac{1}{2}mv^2 = pc##

Some relations only apply in specific circumstances.

Simon Bridge said:
I think the first thing to bear in mind here is that the de Broglie matter-wave model is just a model and is not currently used as anything more than a stepping-stone idea to help you ease into quantum mechanics. Don't be concerned if you find flaws in it - the theoretical framework has advanced since de Broglie's day.

That said it is valid to discuss the model.

You seem to be thinking of a wave like ##y(x,t)=A\sin(kx-\omega t)##. You will notice that this kind of wave has an infinite extent in space.

Note: multiple waves of different wavelength may add up to one complicated wave with a single wavelength.

Since matter does not have an infinite extent through space, the matter wave must form a wave-packet - i.e. the wavelength may be fixed but the amplitude is not. Such a wave packet can be considered to be composed of many continuous sign waves with different wavelengths.

For the other - I think you may need to start from farther back in the derivation.
I think you may have implicitly put ##\frac{1}{2}mv^2 = pc##

Some relations only apply in specific circumstances.

You can derive the de Broglie relations from modern concepts, under specific circumstances. And sure, de Broglie was an early model for what became quantum mechanics. BUT both of those equations are presented in modern authoritative texts like Wikipedia :). And they do conflict if you make certain assumptions. A massive particle doesn't HAVE to be localized using the Schrodinger equation. That's guff part I've been trying to work around. Some of the explanations waterfire has been working through are a bit fatuous.

Last edited:
waterfire said:

The phase velocity of a deBroglie wave is always greater than c in the context of relativity where ##E = \sqrt{p^2c^2+m^2c^4}##.

##v_{ph} = \frac{E}{p} = \sqrt{c^2+\frac{m^2c^4}{p^2}} = c\sqrt{1+(\frac{mc}{p})^2}## which is greater than c.

Alternately, you can use the relativistic formulas ##E = \gamma mc^2## and ##p = \gamma mu## where ##\gamma = 1/\sqrt{1-u^2/c^2}## and ##u## is the speed of the particle. So,

##v_{ph} = E/p = c^2/u##.

Since ##u<c##, the phase velocity is greater than c.

The group velocity is given by ##v_{gr} = \partial E/\partial p = \partial \sqrt{p^2c^2+m^2c^4}/\partial p = c^2p/E = c^2/v_{ph}##.

So, ##v_{gr}v_{ph} = c^2##

Note that from ##v_{ph} = c^2/u##, we get ##v_{gr} =c^2/v_{ph} = c^2/(c^2/u) = u##.

So, the group velocity of the waves equals the velocity of the particle.

waterfire said:

The energy and momentum of a massive object obey the dispersion relation
$$E = \sqrt{(pc)^2 + (mc^2)^2} \cong mc^2 + \frac{p^2}{2m}$$ so when you calculate the phase velocity in the non-relativistic case, you actually get
$$v_p = \frac{E}{p} = \frac{mc^2 + \frac{1}{2}mv^2}{mv} = \frac{c^2}{v} + \frac{1}{2}v.$$ It's the term due to the rest energy which guarantees that ##v_p>c##.

When you're calculating the group velocity, you differentiate with respect to ##p##. The constant term will drop out, so it's safe to ignore the rest energy.

@Dick: well yeah - a distributed matter wave would not be a good description of a classical particle though.
I suspect this is the core of the issue - OP is trying to describe QM ideas in terms of classical mechanics. That is pretty much how de Broglie's relations get taught though... as a bridging idea.

I think this historical way of looking at it is problematical to say the least eg what's the De-Broglie wavelength of a particle at rest?

When I discovered the method based on the Principle Of Relativity and symmetry to actually derive the Schrodinger equation as found in Ballentine - QM - A Modern Development I realized it superseded and rendered all this stuff redundant. Wave packets etc are simply the solutions that sometimes occur with the Schrodinger equation and De-Broglie waves etc are simply an outdated step in the development of modern QM which is based on much firmer foundations these days.

So to Waterfire - get a hold of Ballentine and see Chapter 3:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/9810241054/?tag=pfamazon01-20

If you are just starting out in QM understanding all the math of that chapter may be challenging - but you should get the gist and you can work through the detail as your mathematical sophistication develops. The main point to take away is this hand-wavey stuff (such as what De-Broglie asked - if waves can act as particles then maybe particles can act like waves) that is the historical way QM was developed is on much firmer foundations these days and in fact follows from some rather fundamental symmetry considerations - and not pulled out of the hat so to speak.

Thanks
Bill

Thanks everyone for your help. Here's what I've learned:

A wave with a single wavelength is not localized in space. As it turns out (according to Wikipedia), de Broglie didn't propose a single wavelength but a range of wavelengths. When these waves with a range of wavelengths are superimposed they form a wavepacket which is localized and has a phase velocity and a group velocity.

One way to think of this is in terms of the uncertainty principle. If the wavepacket is localized we know approximately where it is, so by the uncertainty principle we cannot exactly know its momentum. Since momentum is related to wavelength by ##p = \frac{h}{\lambda}##, we also cannot exactly know its wavelength so it has a range of wavelengths.

If we do know its wavelength exactly, we don't know anything about its position so it would not be localized (like a sine wave). On the other hand, if we know its position exactly, we don't know anything about its wavelength (perhaps like a classical particle?).

I've found the following site helpful in clearing up my confusion about multiple waves (it even has a nice animation):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wave#de_Broglie_waves

TSny and vela, thanks for your replies, I have a better understanding now. It seems that my mistake was thinking that the ##E## in ##E = h f## is the kinetic energy. Actually, it's the total energy including the rest energy.

bhobba, I found a copy of Ballentine and I like the introduction so I'm going to try to work through it.

waterfire said:
bhobba, I found a copy of Ballentine and I like the introduction so I'm going to try to work through it.

Even though it's graduate level IMHO it leaves all others I have read way behind.

Thanks
Bill

I want to edit my last post but it's too late. :( Here's what I wanted to change:

If we do know its wavelength exactly, we don't know anything about its position so it would not be localized (like a sine wave). On the other hand, if we know its position exactly, we don't know anything about its wavelength so waves of all wavelengths are superimposed. The result is a very sharp peak (also known as the Dirac delta function).

Related to De Broglie Equations: Exploring Matter Waves

1. What is the De Broglie equation?

The De Broglie equation is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics that relates the wavelength of a particle to its momentum. It is named after French physicist Louis de Broglie, who proposed the concept of matter waves in 1924.

2. How is the De Broglie equation derived?

The De Broglie equation is derived from the principles of wave-particle duality, which states that all particles have both wave-like and particle-like properties. By combining the equations for the energy and momentum of a particle, the De Broglie equation can be derived.

3. What is the significance of the De Broglie equation?

The De Broglie equation helped to revolutionize the field of quantum mechanics by providing a way to describe the wave-like behavior of matter. It also helped to explain the concept of wave-particle duality and has been confirmed by numerous experiments.

4. What are some applications of the De Broglie equation?

The De Broglie equation has many practical applications, including in electron microscopy, where it is used to determine the resolution and magnification of images. It is also used in particle accelerators, as well as in the development of quantum computers and other advanced technologies.

5. Are there any limitations to the De Broglie equation?

While the De Broglie equation has been successful in describing the behavior of particles on a macroscopic scale, there are some limitations to its applicability. It does not fully explain the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level, where other principles of quantum mechanics come into play.