What is the relationship between De Broglie frequency and energy in QM and QFT?

• Thread starter ChAshutosh
  • Start date
  • Tags
    De broglie
In summary: I think you are trying to introduce concepts from the quantum harmonic occilator used in QFT. QFT is a whole new ball game not compatible with ordinary QM.
ChAshutosh
As we know de broglie wavelength is λ = h/p and f = E/h
λ = h/p
v/f = h/mv as f*λ=v

then

f = mv^2/h

but it should f = E/h and E=1/2*mv^2

Physics news on Phys.org
When you say $$E= \frac{1}{2} mv^2 $$ you are considering only kinetic energy, do you think that, it is the only type of energy the body has, whose wave motion is also being is considered?

Likes ChAshutosh
Remember De-Broglies ideas are a mishmash of quantum and relatvistic ideas. Best to forget about them - they have long since been consigned to the dustbin of history. But since its relatvistic E is not the classical 1/2 mv^2:
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/debrog.html

Thanks
Bill

Likes ChAshutosh
Bhobba, is there noway of achieving E = mv² by adding the energy due to SHM of each particle along the wave, to the KE?

Suraj M said:
Bhobba, is there noway of achieving E = mv² by adding the energy due to SHM of each particle along the wave, to the KE?

I don't know what you mean by that.

Like most I have read about the De-Broglie theory and seen the equations. They are an inconsistent mish-mash eg what's the wavelength of a stationary particle - and by frame jumping you can always go to a frame where its stationary. Because of that I tend to not get worried about manipulations involving them - it's wrong anyway.

In QM the KE of a free particle is 1/2 mV^2 where V is the velocity operator.

Interestingly one can actually prove that from symmetry in QM - but that is another story.

Thanks
Bill

bhobba said:
I don't know what you mean by that.
I mean the particles would have an extra amount of energy of ##½m \omega^2 A^2## can we use that?

Suraj M said:
I mean the particles would have an extra amount of energy of ##½m \omega^2 A^2## can we use that?

You lost me.

Can you explain what your terms mean?

Thanks
Bill

The regular SHM terms! ##\omega## = 2##\pi /T## ; A = amplitude of the wave

I think you are trying to introduce concepts from the quantum harmonic occilator used in QFT. QFT is a whole new ball game not compatible with ordinary QM.

The energy in QM is actually based on the Galilaen transformations while QFT is based on the Lorentz transformations.

Thanks
Bill

Related to What is the relationship between De Broglie frequency and energy in QM and QFT?

1. What is the De Broglie frequency equation and how is it used?

The De Broglie frequency equation, mv^2/h, relates the mass and velocity of a particle to its frequency. This equation is used to calculate the frequency of a particle's wave-like behavior, known as its De Broglie wavelength.

2. What is the significance of the De Broglie frequency in quantum mechanics?

The De Broglie frequency is significant in quantum mechanics because it is a fundamental property of matter. It demonstrates the wave-particle duality of quantum objects and is essential in understanding their behavior.

3. How does the De Broglie frequency relate to the Heisenberg uncertainty principle?

The De Broglie frequency is related to the Heisenberg uncertainty principle through the concept of wave-particle duality. According to the uncertainty principle, the more precisely we know a particle's position, the less precisely we can know its momentum, and vice versa. This is because measuring the position of a particle disrupts its momentum, and vice versa. The De Broglie frequency represents the momentum of a particle as a wave, further illustrating the uncertainty in its momentum.

4. Can the De Broglie frequency be applied to macroscopic objects?

No, the De Broglie frequency is only applicable to objects on the quantum scale, such as atoms and subatomic particles. Macroscopic objects, such as everyday objects, have such large masses that their De Broglie frequencies would be immeasurably small.

5. How did Louis de Broglie's discovery of the De Broglie frequency contribute to our understanding of the nature of matter?

De Broglie's discovery of the De Broglie frequency was a crucial development in quantum mechanics and our understanding of the nature of matter. It provided evidence for the wave-particle duality of matter, which was previously only observed in light. This concept has since been fundamental in our understanding of quantum behavior and has led to many groundbreaking discoveries in physics.