DC Motor Questions -- Building my own motor

In summary, the individual is attempting to create a device that will run on DC power and spin an object vertically in the air. They are looking for the most cost-effective way to determine the required torque and regulate the motor's speed. They are also considering using multiple rechargeable batteries in series to power the motor.
nryan34
Hi, I am attempting at making a simple device that will run on dc power that just spins a item i place vertically in the air. I am trying to do it without having to by any of the parts being i could just buy a new one for around 250 bucks.

My first question is how to you determine the amount of torque i need to turn the object with a given motor? (trying to decide between a 6V or 12V motor)

What is the simplest (and cheapest) way of regulating the speed of the motor? (i only need to run the motor from 5-15 rpm unless i use gears to reduce the rotational speed of my object)

I also have roughly 8 6V 4.5aH rechargeable batteries to use, is it possible to hook those in series and run the 6V motor off of them? If so, what would be the potential drawbacks to doing so as opposed to buying a higher capacity battery?

Engineering news on Phys.org
nryan34 said:
My first question is how to you determine the amount of torque i need to turn the object with a given motor? (trying to decide between a 6V or 12V motor)
The torque required will be determined by the bearing friction and the moment of inertia "I" of your setup, and the required angular acceleration for your setup. Do you have any of those numbers yet?
nryan34 said:
What is the simplest (and cheapest) way of regulating the speed of the motor? (i only need to run the motor from 5-15 rpm unless i use gears to reduce the rotational speed of my object)
The simplest might be to use a mechanical rotating speed regulator (like you saw on old steam engines). Otherwise, you can sense the output speed and use pulse-width modulation (PWM) of your DC voltage to the motor to regulate its speed.
nryan34 said:
I also have roughly 8 6V 4.5aH rechargeable batteries to use, is it possible to hook those in series and run the 6V motor off of them? If so, what would be the potential drawbacks to doing so as opposed to buying a higher capacity battery?
Hooking them in series will give you a higher voltage with the same Ahr rating as an individual battery. Putting batteries in parallel is not recommended unless they are specifically matched for output voltage and previous use (they need to be matched from initial manufacture, and always used in parallel together so they share the same discharge/charge history).

Related to DC Motor Questions -- Building my own motor

1. What materials do I need to build a DC motor?

To build a DC motor, you will need a permanent magnet, a battery, a wire, a commutator, and a base material such as cardboard or wood. You may also need other tools such as pliers and wire cutters.

2. How do I determine the size of the wire to use in my DC motor?

The size of the wire you use will depend on the amount of current and voltage you plan to use in your motor. You can refer to a wire gauge chart to determine the appropriate wire size based on your specific needs.

3. Can I use any type of magnet for my DC motor?

While any type of magnet may technically work, it is recommended to use a strong permanent magnet such as neodymium or ceramic magnets for optimal performance in your DC motor.

4. How do I know if my DC motor is working correctly?

You can test your DC motor by connecting it to a battery and observing if the magnet rotates. You can also use a multimeter to measure the voltage and current of your motor to ensure it is functioning properly.

5. Can I use my DC motor to power other devices?

Yes, you can use your DC motor to power other devices by connecting it to a power source such as a battery or power supply. However, you may need to use additional components such as a motor controller to regulate the speed and direction of the motor.