Daughter's 6th grade homework question.

• MHB
  • Thread starter teddunner
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Homework
In summary: Smile)In summary, the conversation discusses the 6th grade boy to girl ratio from last year and this year, and the total number of students remaining the same. The problem asks for the number of 6th grade boys last year given that there are 96 girls this year. However, after solving the equations and given information, it appears that there is an error in the problem.
teddunner
I'm at a loss. I can't figure it out. Please help.

Last year's 6th grade boy to girl ratio was 3 to 4. This year's 6th grade boy to girl ratio is 5 to 6. If the total number of students were the same this year as they were last year; what is the number of 6th grade boys last year if there are 96 girls this year?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
teddunner said:
I'm at a loss. I can't figure it out. Please help.

Last year's 6th grade boy to girl ratio was 3 to 4. This year's 6th grade boy to girl ratio is 5 to 6. If the total number of students were the same this year as they were last year; what is the number of 6th grade boys last year if there are 96 girls this year?

(Wave)

Let $\text{boys_1}$ be the number of boys of last year's 6th grade, $\text{girls_1}$ the number of girls of last year's 6th grade, $\text{boys_2}$ the number of boys of this year's 6th grade and $\text{girls_2}$ the number of girls of this year's 6th grade.

Then the following relations hold:

$$\frac{\text{boys_1}}{\text{girls_1}}=\frac{3}{4}$$

$$\frac{\text{boys_2}}{\text{girls_2}}=\frac{5}{6}$$

$$\text{boys_1}+\text{girls_1}=\text{boys_2}+\text{girls_2}$$

We are looking for the value of $\text{boys_1}$.

We are given that $\text{girls_2}$ is equal to $96$.

So, $\text{boys_2}=\frac{5}{6} \cdot 96=80$.

Also we get that $\text{boys_1}+\text{girls_1}=176$.

Can you continue?

evinda said:
(Wave)

Let $\text{boys_1}$ be the number of boys of last year's 6th grade, $\text{girls_1}$ the number of girls of last year's 6th grade, $\text{boys_2}$ the number of boys of this year's 6th grade and $\text{girls_2}$ the number of girls of this year's 6th grade.

Then the following relations hold:

$$\frac{\text{boys_1}}{\text{girls_1}}=\frac{3}{4}$$

$$\frac{\text{boys_2}}{\text{girls_2}}=\frac{5}{6}$$

$$\text{boys_1}+\text{girls_1}=\text{boys_2}+\text{girls_2}$$

We are looking for the value of $\text{boys_1}$.

We are given that $\text{girls_2}$ is equal to $96$.

So, $\text{boys_2}=\frac{5}{6} \cdot 96=80$.

Also we get that $\text{boys_1}+\text{girls_1}=176$.

Can you continue?

I can continue, the answer just doesn't make sense. I think it is just an error that slipped through the cracks.

teddunner said:
I can continue, the answer just doesn't make sense. I think it is just an error that slipped through the cracks.

Yes, I made the calculations and noticed the same. (Nod)

evinda said:
Yes, I made the calculations and noticed the same. (Nod)

Thank you! I was beginning to think it was just me.

Related to Daughter's 6th grade homework question.

Question 1:

What is the correct answer to the "Daughter's 6th grade homework question?"

The correct answer will depend on the specific question being asked. It is important to carefully read and understand the question before attempting to answer it.

Question 2:

How can I help my daughter with her 6th grade homework question?

As a scientist, you can help your daughter by encouraging her to think critically about the question and guiding her towards finding the answer on her own. You can also provide her with resources and tools to help her understand the subject matter.

Question 3:

Is it important for my daughter to understand the concept behind the homework question?

Yes, it is important for your daughter to understand the concept behind the homework question. This will not only help her with that specific question, but also with future assignments and tests.

Question 4:

How can I explain a difficult concept to my daughter for her 6th grade homework question?

To explain a difficult concept, you can break it down into smaller, more manageable parts. Use simple language and examples that your daughter can relate to. You can also use visual aids or interactive activities to help her understand the concept.

Question 5:

What should I do if my daughter is struggling with her 6th grade homework question?

If your daughter is struggling with her homework question, it is important to offer support and encouragement. You can also reach out to her teacher for additional resources or guidance. It is also helpful to create a study plan and schedule to help your daughter stay organized and on top of her assignments.