Permutation and Combination Homework Help

In summary, there are $7$ different digits that can be selected, and $2520 + 400 + 150 \;=\;3070$ ways to form a five digit number when the digits are randomly selected without replacement.
flaming1
Hey guys, there's these questions in my hm that's really tough for me and i basically have no clue on how to do it. Any help is greatly appreciated
1.a) Give the numbers 1,1,2,3,4,5,5,6,7, If five numbers are randomly selected without replacement, how many different numbers can be formed if identical numbers can be selected? How many numbers in a) are even?

2. 5 boy and 5 girls were to sit in a row. No boy may sit next to a boy and no girl may sit next to a girl. How many ways are there to arrange the seats if Jennifer must be sitting next to jacky?

3. A bridge hand consists of 13 cards. How many bridge hands include 5 cards of one suit, 6 cards of a second and 2 cards of a third?

Thanks for the help :)

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hi flaming, (Wave)

Welcome to MHB!

We ask that you post one problem per thread and that you show us what you have tried first. Let's take a look at #1.

So pretend that these are all different numbers. How many 5 digit numbers could we make? If you start with that then we can address the doubles.

Hello, flaming!

3. A bridge hand consists of 13 cards. .How many bridge hands include
. .5 cards of one suit, 6 cards of a second and 2 cards of a third?

There are $4$ choices of suit for the set-of-5.
There are: [tex]\:{13\choose5}[/tex] ways to choose the set.

There are $3$ choices of suit for the set-of-6.
There are: [tex]\:{13\choose6}[/tex] ways to choose the set.

There are $2$ choices of suit for the set-of-2.
There are: [tex]\;{13\choose2}[/tex] ways to choose the set.There are: $\:4{13\choose5}\cdot 3{13\choose6}\cdot2{13\choose2}$

$\qquad \:=\:4,\!134,\!297,\!024$ such bridge hands.

Hello again, flaming!

1. Given the digits 1,1,2,3,4,5,5,6,7.
If five digits are randomly selected without replacement,
how many different numbers can be formed?

There are 7 distinct digits; two of them are duplicated.

There are 3 cases to be considered.[1] Five distinct digits: ABCDE
$\qquad _7P_5 \,=\,2520$ ways.[2] One pair: AABCD
$\qquad$2 choice for the pair
$\qquad$Select 3 more digits from the other 6: ${6\choose3}$
$\qquad$Permute the 5 digits: ${5\choose2}$
$\qquad 2{6\choose2}{5\choose2} \,=\,400$ ways.[3] Two pairs: AABBC
$\qquad$We have {1,1} and {5,5}.
$\qquad$and 5 choices for the last digit.
$\qquad$Permute the 5 digits: ${5\choose2,2}$
$\qquad 5{5\choose2,2}\,=150$ waysAnswer: $2520 + 400 + 150 \;=\;3070$

I did this a little differently and am trying to see which method is correct. My solution, if correct, is much simpler but I'm thinking it over.

We start with \(\displaystyle _9P_5\) and need account for all the double counting of the 1's and 5's so we divide by 2! two times. I get the following answer:

\(\displaystyle \frac{_9P_5}{2!2!}=\frac{15120}{4}=3780\)

If anyone has some insight into this I would be very curious to read it. :confused:

EDIT: I see Opalg might be responding to this question but just wanted to add that now I'm in doubt of my solution because we aren't using all the numbers all the time. If we were asked to make a 9 digit number then I am sure this method would work but there will be numbers that don't have a 1 or a 5 in them and dividing these by 2 as well seems incorrect.

Sorry to say that I disagree with both those answers. I think that Jameson's method does not work for the reason he suggests in the Edit. As far as I can see, soroban's method is correct but there seems to be a numerical error.

soroban said:
[2] One pair: AABCD
$\qquad$2 choice for the pair
$\qquad$Select 3 more digits from the other 6: ${6\choose3}$
$\qquad$Permute the 5 digits: ${5\choose2}$
$\qquad 2{6\choose2}{5\choose2} \,=\,400$ ways.
In the last line, $6\choose2$ is clearly a misprint for $6\choose3$, but that is immediately corrected in calculating the number $400$. However, the next item "$5\choose2$" ought to be counting permutations, not combinations, and should therefore be $\dfrac{5!}2 = 60$, making the total for case [2] $2400$ instead of $400$. So I get the overall result to be $2000$ greater than soroban's, namely $5070$.

Anyone want to come up with yet another answer? :confused:

Related to Permutation and Combination Homework Help

1. What is the difference between permutation and combination?

Permutation refers to the arrangement of a set of objects in a specific order, whereas combination refers to the selection of a subset of objects from a larger set without considering their order.

2. How do I calculate the number of permutations or combinations?

The formula for calculating the number of permutations is n! / (n-r)! where n is the total number of objects and r is the number of objects in each permutation. The formula for combinations is n! / (r! * (n-r)!) where n is the total number of objects and r is the number of objects in each combination.

3. How do I know when to use permutations or combinations?

Permutations are used when the order of objects is important, such as arranging a sequence of numbers or letters. Combinations are used when the order does not matter, such as selecting a group of people for a team.

4. Can permutations or combinations be applied to real-life situations?

Yes, permutations and combinations are used in various fields such as mathematics, computer science, and statistics to solve problems related to probability, arrangements, and selections. They can also be applied in real-life situations such as lottery numbers, password combinations, and seating arrangements.

5. What are some common misconceptions about permutations and combinations?

One common misconception is that permutations and combinations are interchangeable terms. Another is that the number of combinations is always greater than the number of permutations. It is important to understand the differences between these concepts in order to use them correctly in problem-solving.