Data for Earth Orbiting Satellite & Ionosphere: Research Help

In summary, the conversation is about a researcher in need of magnetometer data from an Earth orbiting satellite. They are considering using the PPI PDS NASA site but are also asking for insights or guidance from others. They also mention having a pyranometer for recording cosmic ray flux and inquire about obtaining similar information for different locations. The conversation also touches on finding data on the ionosphere and suggests checking organizations such as NOAA, ESA, UKSA, and NASA. The person offering advice does not have specific URLs but wishes the researcher luck in their search.
Tone L
HI all,

I'm starting by senior research and I am in the hunt of some data! Specifically magnetometer data from an Earth orbiting satellite, I could get the data I think from the http://ppi.pds.nasa.gov/ site but was curious if anyone had an insight or guidance. At my college we have a pyranometer which records cosmic ray flux (w/m^2) - does anyone know if that information is obtainable for various locations on the globe (U.S particularly).

And where could I find data on the ionosphere as well...

Thanks, feel free to ask any questions I'm sure I was vague :smile:

Astronomy news on Phys.org
You might try the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Agency, NOAA. They engage in lots of research in the areas you are interested in.
Also the European Space Agency, ESA. The Brits have their own space agency, UKSA, as does Australia.
I can't imagine NASA not having the information you need, you just have to dig deep into its octopus-like organization.
I wish I had some URLs but haven't needed such data in a while. Good Luck.

Likes Tone L

Related to Data for Earth Orbiting Satellite & Ionosphere: Research Help

1. What is the purpose of studying Earth orbiting satellites and the ionosphere?

The purpose of studying Earth orbiting satellites and the ionosphere is to better understand the interactions between Earth's atmosphere and the space environment. This research can provide valuable insights into the impact of space weather on satellite communications, navigation systems, and other technologies that rely on the ionosphere.

2. What types of data are collected from Earth orbiting satellites and ionosphere research?

Data collected from Earth orbiting satellites and ionosphere research can include measurements of atmospheric and geomagnetic conditions, electron density and temperature, and radio wave propagation. Other types of data may also be collected depending on the specific research objectives.

3. How is the data from Earth orbiting satellites and ionosphere research used?

The data from Earth orbiting satellites and ionosphere research is used to improve our understanding of the ionosphere and its impact on Earth's environment. This data can also be used to develop and improve predictive models for space weather events, which can help mitigate potential disruptions to satellite and communication systems.

4. What challenges are associated with studying Earth orbiting satellites and the ionosphere?

One of the main challenges of studying Earth orbiting satellites and the ionosphere is the highly dynamic nature of the ionosphere. It is constantly changing due to solar activity and other factors, making it difficult to predict and study. Additionally, accessing and analyzing satellite data can be complex and require specialized knowledge and equipment.

5. How does studying Earth orbiting satellites and the ionosphere contribute to our understanding of Earth's climate?

Studying Earth orbiting satellites and the ionosphere can provide valuable information about how Earth's atmosphere responds to changes in the space environment. This can help us better understand the mechanisms behind climate change and make more accurate predictions about future changes. Additionally, studying the ionosphere can also provide insights into how solar activity and other space weather phenomena can affect Earth's climate.