Dark Matter: Waste or Unknown Substance?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of dark matter, an unknown substance that makes up most of the space between planets, stars, and galaxies in our universe. There are theories that suggest dark matter may be a form of waste from supermassive black holes or from other universes. However, there is no evidence to support these theories and it is not allowed to speculate on the subject on the forum.
MrREC
Dark matter...Waste?

This may sound crazy (and probably is)...but.

From my understanding "dark matter" is an unknown substance (?) that comprises most of the space(?) between planets, stars and galaxies, in our known universe. From what I have read the universe does not have near enough atomic matter to explain such vast distances between galaxies. It seems also that "dark energy" is supposed to be an unknown force that is pushing the galaxies away from each other and expanding the universe.

My question(s) is thus.

Is our universe overtaking this "nothingness" and thus it preceded the Big Bang, and the momentum of our universe is overtaking more of this "nothingness"?

Or...Can dark matter be a form of waste, say from super giant black holes that have stripped all known physical properties from atomic matter, and light and is thus regurgitating or excreting this "stuff" back into the universe as an unidentifiable form of waste.

Could dark matter be a form of "waste" from another universe that is being "dumped' into our universe thus "blowing up the balloon" (expanding our universe).

If it has no atomic properties then where does it come from?

Did it precede the Big Bang as the "void" of nothingness?
Is our universe "eating itself"
Is something outside "eating our universe" and returning the remains in this form?
Is something outside eating something from outside and "dumping" it in our universe?

Is very perplexing.

Any ideas?

I apologize for any lack of clarity in the above questions.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Wow not even a whisper, a flame, or a comment.

I would have at least figured on a +1 for a post count increase from someone. :rolleyes:

Maybe my "Chinese" is a bit rusty? :biggrin:

I'm sorry, but I don't understand what you are saying.

Youd did say

"Could dark matter be a form of "waste" from another universe that is being "dumped' into our universe thus "blowing up the balloon" (expanding our universe)."

Which makes no sense. Dark matter is not expanding our universe.

Also you say:

"If it has no atomic properties then where does it come from?"

This makes no sense either, because you're assuming it doesn't have atomic properties, and you're assuming that if it doesn't have atomic properties, it has to come from somewhere other than our universe, or be some form of waste.

You should think things through before posting, and make sure you are very knowledgeble on the subjects.

Sorry, but your other thread was moved here because it was not about a specific science question.

No where on the forum is speculation of this sort allowed. If you can change this into a question without the personal speculation, you can ask the question in the appropriate science forum.

It is not allowed in GD.

I am unable to provide a definitive answer to these questions as they fall into the realm of theoretical physics and cosmology. However, I can provide some information about dark matter and its role in the universe.

Dark matter is a hypothetical type of matter that does not interact with light, making it invisible to telescopes and other instruments. It is called "dark" because it does not emit, absorb, or reflect any electromagnetic radiation, which is how we detect and observe other types of matter.

Scientists have proposed the existence of dark matter to explain the observations of the rotational speeds of galaxies and the gravitational lensing of light from distant objects. These observations suggest that there is more mass in the universe than what we can see, and dark matter is one explanation for this discrepancy.

At this point, we do not know what dark matter is made of, and it is still considered an unknown substance. It is not considered waste or a byproduct of any other process. The current theories suggest that dark matter could be made up of particles that have not yet been discovered or that it could be a manifestation of some other fundamental force or energy.

Regarding your question about dark matter preceding the Big Bang, it is important to note that the Big Bang is a singularity, a point in time where our current understanding of physics breaks down. Before the Big Bang, we cannot make any assumptions or predictions about the universe. Therefore, it is not accurate to say that dark matter preceded the Big Bang.

In summary, dark matter is not considered waste, and its origins and properties are still a topic of ongoing research and debate in the scientific community. While it is fascinating to consider alternative theories, as a scientist, I must rely on empirical evidence and established theories to answer questions about the universe.

Related to Dark Matter: Waste or Unknown Substance?

1. What is dark matter?

Dark matter is a type of matter that does not emit or absorb any electromagnetic radiation, making it invisible to telescopes and other instruments that detect light. However, it is believed to have a gravitational pull and interacts with other matter through this force.

2. How much of the universe is made up of dark matter?

Current estimates suggest that about 27% of the universe is made up of dark matter. This is significantly more than the visible matter that makes up stars, planets, and other objects, which accounts for only about 5% of the universe.

3. How is dark matter different from regular matter?

Dark matter is different from regular matter because it does not interact with light, making it invisible to telescopes and other instruments. It also does not have any electric charge, which means it does not interact with electromagnetic forces. Instead, it is believed to only interact with other matter through gravitational force.

4. What evidence do we have for the existence of dark matter?

Scientists have observed the effects of dark matter through its gravitational pull on visible matter, such as stars and galaxies. They have also used mathematical models and simulations to study the distribution of dark matter in the universe and how it affects the structure and evolution of galaxies.

5. Is dark matter considered waste or an unknown substance?

Dark matter is considered an unknown substance. While some theories suggest that it may be made up of particles that have yet to be discovered, we do not have enough evidence to determine its exact composition. Calling it "waste" implies that it serves no purpose, but dark matter plays a crucial role in the formation and evolution of the universe.