Cylinders and quadric surfaces

In summary, the conversation discusses how to graph various 3D shapes such as ellipsoids, cones, paraboloids, and hyperboloids given an equation. The steps for graphing on the TI-Nspire are provided, including how to rotate the graph and change the colors. It is mentioned that when all coordinates are squared, it is not possible to graph in one shot. The conversation also includes a discussion on converting equations to parametric form for easier graphing. The importance of rearranging coordinates and introducing square roots is also mentioned.
ineedhelpnow
ok so this is the part I am really struggling with. we need to be able to recognize an ellipsoid, cone, elliptic paraboloid, hyprboloid of one sheet, hyperbolic paraboloid, hyperboloid of two sheets given an equation. he's going to give us an equation of one and ask us to identify and sketch the graph. please help me! and i would reaaaalllly appreciate it if anyone can let me know if they know how to graph these type of graphs on the ti nspire.

here are just some random examples of what we'll be asked on the test.
View attachment 3219View attachment 3216View attachment 3217View attachment 3218

Attachments

• DSC00017.JPG
    DSC00017.JPG
    13.1 KB · Views: 73
  • DSC00019.JPG
    DSC00019.JPG
    25.3 KB · Views: 70
  • DSC00020.JPG
    DSC00020.JPG
    24.1 KB · Views: 67
  • DSC00016.JPG
    DSC00016.JPG
    13.3 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
ineedhelpnow said:
ok so this is the part I am really struggling with. we need to be able to recognize an ellipsoid, cone, elliptic paraboloid, hyprboloid of one sheet, hyperbolic paraboloid, hyperboloid of two sheets given an equation. he's going to give us an equation of one and ask us to identify and sketch the graph. please help me! and i would reaaaalllly appreciate it if anyone can let me know if they know how to graph these type of graphs on the ti nspire.

here are just some random examples of what we'll be asked on the test.
1. Press [DOC]→Insert→Graphs.

2. Press [MENU]→View→3D Graphing.

3. Type a function in the entry line, z1(x,y)=sin(x)·cos(y) and press [ENTER] to graph it.

4. Use your Touchpad keys to rotate the graph.
For fun, press [A] to auto-rotate the graph; pressing [R] allows you to manually rotate the graph again using your Touchpad arrow keys. Press [$\div$] to shrink the box or [x] to magnify the box.​

5. Press [MENU]→Trace→zTrace.
Hold the [SHIFT] key down and use your Touchpad arrow keys to trace the graph.​

6. Explore some new color options of your 3D graph by right-clicking on the graph, [CTRL][MENU]→Color→Custom Plot Color.

(Movie)

thanks ILS but its not that simple. you see this equations that I am dealing with are squared so i have to solve it in terms of z and with the square root and everything it make the graph totally incomplete and messed up. is there any way to get the full 3d graph?
(ill show you what i mean in a sec)

Attachments

• 09-14-2014 Image001.jpg
    09-14-2014 Image001.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 57
  • 09-14-2014 Image002.jpg
    09-14-2014 Image002.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 63
  • 09-14-2014 Image003.jpg
    09-14-2014 Image003.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 59
  • 09-14-2014 Image004.jpg
    09-14-2014 Image004.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 70
ineedhelpnow said:
lucky you guys. you get to see more pictures of the pretty screen ;)

ok so this is the graph of #26 (its in the 2nd pic i think). i have to solve and put them in separately. is there any way to put it all in at one shot? to get a COMPLETE graph.

You'll get a better picture with:
$$z1(x,y)=\sqrt{x^2+2y^2}$$
$$z2(x,y)=-\sqrt{x^2+2y^2}$$
(Smile)
But I'm afraid that when all coordinates are squared, you can't do it in one shot. (Worried)

Anyway, the ones that have an unsquared coordinate can be done in one shot.

it looks perfect!...but its not the same graph... (:D i would put it on auto rotation for you ILS but its only a screen capture so i can't (Giggle))

View attachment 3224View attachment 3225

- - - Updated (Malthe) - - -

you did intend for it to be the graph of another equation, right (Wondering)?

Attachments

• 09-14-2014 Image006.jpg
    09-14-2014 Image006.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 61
  • 09-14-2014 Image007.jpg
    09-14-2014 Image007.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 60
ineedhelpnow said:
it looks perfect!...but its not the same graph... (:D i would put it on auto rotation for you ILS but its only a screen capture so i can't (Giggle)

Yeah. It's rotated with respect to the axes.
So you'll have to rotate your screen to get a proper view. (Doh)
Hmm... that doesn't really matter if you only want to recognize the shape, does it? (Wink)

you did intend for it to be the graph of another equation, right ?

It's the same graph - just rotated. (Emo)

just to be safe though. i don't want to mess up on the test. and how will i know how to change the equation so it comes out looking like a pretty one?

- - - Updated (Malthe) - - -

i have a question! i have a question! i have a question!

is there any way to convert the equation into a parametric equation? that's way easier to graph. (Angel) (i think we have a problem...addicted to smilies (Nod))

ineedhelpnow said:
just to be safe though. i don't want to mess up on the test. and how will i know how to change the equation so it comes out looking like a pretty one?

If one of the coordinates is not squared, then reorder the coordinates (switch them around) to make the non-squared one the z-coordinate.

For instance: rearrange $x=y^2+4z^2$ to $z=x^2+4y^2$.

The graph will remain the same, just rotated.If all of them are squared, you will have to introduce a square root.
Pick the z-coordinate as the one that at least gives a square root of something that is always positive. That is, make sure you take the square root of the sum of 2 squares.
i have a question! i have a question! i have a question!

is there any way to convert the equation into a parametric equation? that's way easier to graph.

You are already converting the equations to parametric equations.
The problem is that your TI Nspyre is limited to parametric equations of the form $z=f(x,y)$. (Swearing)
Wolfram|Alpha doesn't have such limitations. (Muscle)

Attachments

• 09-14-2014 Image008.jpg
    09-14-2014 Image008.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 47
  • 09-14-2014 Image009.jpg
    09-14-2014 Image009.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 57
ididntdoitO_o said:
buuut i caaaant uuuse wolfram alpha on the test. (Crying)

I guess you'll just have to learn a bit more math then. (Devil)
no these graphs i posted are in function form. i can do it in parametric.

Oh.
Well...
Then I think you can graph $y^2=x^2+2z^2$ in one shot with:
$$xp(t,u)=t\cos(u)$$
$$yp(t,u)=t$$
$$zp(t,u)=\frac {t} {\sqrt 2} \sin(u)$$

i literally just burst out laughing when i graphed that.
ignoring the big fat thing in the middle, is the graph represented by the two cones?

View attachment 3228

Attachments

• 09-14-2014 Image010.jpg
    09-14-2014 Image010.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
ididntdoitO_o said:
i literally just burst out laughing when i graphed that.
ignoring the big fat thing in the middle, is the graph represented by the two cones

Yes. (Wink)
I recognize it by the way the cones are built from rings and radial lines.

The big fat thing in the middle is the graph $z(x,y)=\sqrt{x^2+2y^2}$ that is apparently still lying around. :rolleyes:

LOL oh. well when i get rid of that part... i end up with 3/4 of a graph...

ineedhelpnow said:
LOL oh. well when i get rid of that part... i end up with 3/4 of a graph...

What! :eek:
A 3/4 graph?
What does it look like? (Wondering)

Related to Cylinders and quadric surfaces

1. What is a cylinder?

A cylinder is a three-dimensional shape that has two parallel circular bases connected by a curved surface. It is a type of quadric surface, meaning it can be described by a second-degree polynomial equation.

2. How do you calculate the volume of a cylinder?

The volume of a cylinder can be calculated by using the formula V = πr2h, where r is the radius of the base and h is the height of the cylinder. This formula applies to both right cylinders (where the bases are perpendicular to the curved surface) and oblique cylinders (where the bases are tilted).

3. What shapes can be created by intersecting a cylinder with a plane?

When a plane intersects a cylinder, the resulting shape can be a circle, an ellipse, a parabola, or a hyperbola, depending on the angle of intersection and the orientation of the plane. These shapes are all examples of conic sections, which are formed by slicing a cone with a plane.

4. How is a cylinder different from a cone?

A cylinder and a cone are both quadric surfaces, but they have different shapes. A cylinder has two parallel circular bases, while a cone has a circular base and a curved surface that joins the base to a single point (called the apex). Additionally, a cylinder has a constant cross-sectional shape along its entire length, while a cone's cross-sectional shape changes as you move along its curved surface.

5. What are some real-life examples of cylinders?

Cylinders can be found in many everyday objects, such as soda cans, soup cans, and water bottles. Other examples include pipes, pillars, and the barrels of some musical instruments. In nature, tree trunks and some fruits (such as bananas) can also be considered cylindrical shapes.