Cylinder Pressure of Combustion Engine

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between cylinder pressure and torque in a 4 time combustion engine. The experts agree that at different speeds, the work done per stroke and torque will be the same, regardless of the time it takes to complete the stroke. However, the force from the cylinder pressure may have a smaller effect on the piston at higher speeds due to the impulse formula. This means that more combustion events are needed to increase the vehicle's speed by the same amount at higher RPMs. The experts also discuss the relationship between work, kinetic energy, and speed, and how they all align with the same conclusion.
tos001
hi, i want to ask about 4 time combustion engine torque.
in my example we simulate a single cylinder gasoline 4 time engine which works 1000-4000 rpms and always have same fuel and air mixture in cylinder and so same burn pressure in each power time. these are the rules of question

now i want to ask that does this cylinder pressure pushes the piston same in different rpms? for example during 1500 rpms and 3000rpms. i ask this because during 3000 rpms piston moves double faster and leaves the burning area faster. so the pressure will effect the piston less because if we apply a force from a constant point to an object our effect will be more if the object is leaving from us at low speed but if the same object leaves from us at high speed our force will be less effective. if i am wrong please correct me. according to this if engine works in high rpms the burn time pressure will effect the piston less because the piston will leave the ignition area more quickly. so in high rpms same cylinder pressure will make less torque.
what do you think about this? is this opinion true

Engineering news on Phys.org
At different speeds, if the cylinder pressure is the same as a function of crank angle, the work done per stroke will be the same, and so will the torque. The amount of time it takes to complete a stroke does not matter: the work depends on force X distance, not force X time.

Likes tos001
Randy Beikmann said:
At different speeds, if the cylinder pressure is the same as a function of crank angle, the work done per stroke will be the same, and so will the torque. The amount of time it takes to complete a stroke does not matter: the work depends on force X distance, not force X time.

mr.Beikmann thanks for your reply but there is a detail you know. the force in cylinder at burn time acts from a constant area this force does not have same speed with the piston. think that you stay constant place and push an object if object is not moving your force will more effective but if object is already moving with high speed and passing near you, your force will not effect as same because of the impulse formula force x time = mass x speed change.. because of the speed of the object your force effect time will be small... F=m x a is valid if the force source has same speed with the object like rockets, plane motors or car tires. according all these if the piston is leaving the burning area faster the time will be small so according to impulse formula effect of the force will be low. please correct me at wrong points thanks

Your question is a good one. I was essentially talking about work and energy, and you were talking about impulse and momentum.
You're right that an impulse is force X time, and you are right that at a higher speed, the impulse from each stroke is smaller. Therefore the increase in momentum, mass X delta V, is smaller. So at higher speeds, it does take more combustion events to increase the vehicle's speed by the same amount.
How does that fit in with work and kinetic energy? Remember that work is proportional to force X distance, so the kinetic energy increase from each stroke is the same. But kinetic energy is proportional to the square of speed. So again, at faster speeds, it takes more combustion events to increase the velocity by a certain amount: d(Kinetic Energy) is equal to mass X velocity X dVelocity.
So it all agrees, as it must.

Likes tos001

Related to Cylinder Pressure of Combustion Engine

What is cylinder pressure in a combustion engine?

Cylinder pressure is the force exerted by the expanding gases in the combustion chamber of an engine. It is measured in units of pressure, such as pounds per square inch (psi) or kilopascals (kPa).

How is cylinder pressure calculated?

Cylinder pressure is calculated by dividing the force of the expanding gases by the area of the piston head. This can be done using a pressure sensor or by analyzing the engine's performance data.

What factors can affect cylinder pressure?

Several factors can affect cylinder pressure, including air-fuel ratio, engine speed, compression ratio, and ignition timing. Changes in any of these factors can result in changes to the pressure within the cylinder.

Why is cylinder pressure important?

Cylinder pressure is an important indicator of engine performance. It can provide valuable information about the air-fuel mixture, combustion efficiency, and potential issues within the engine. Monitoring cylinder pressure can also help optimize engine performance and fuel efficiency.

How can cylinder pressure be measured?

Cylinder pressure can be measured using a pressure sensor or pressure transducer, which is installed in the spark plug hole or connected to the fuel injection system. It can also be measured indirectly through engine performance data analysis using a dynamometer or on-board diagnostic system.