Cyclic Symmetry Analysis: Capturing Features

In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of cyclic symmetry analysis in FEM when there are multiple repeating features that do not divide to the same integer. The example given is a model with 136 holes and 52 slots, with a lowest common divisor of 2. It is noted that in Aerospace, small sector cuts are often used based on Turbine geometry, even if other surrounding features do not divide the same way. The question is posed whether to leave those features as they are or change the number of features to make them all divisible by the number of sectors. The speaker also mentions the importance of deciding what questions the model is supposed to answer before making any changes.
Saladsamurai
I am wondering what kind of approaches people take to a cyclic symmetry analysis in FEM when you have multiple repeating features that don't divide to the same integer. Take the example below for example. I have a N_HOLES = 136 and I have N_SLOTS = 52.

I am not sure what to do here. The lowest common divisor is 2 which would mean doing a 180° sector, which is hardly better than running full 3D. I know that in Aerospace, they use small sector cuts based on Turbine geometry all the time. Obviously not all of the surrounding features divide the same as the turbine geometry.

But what should be done about those features? Do we just leave them as they are and let the the FEM repeat those features even if it leads to "overlapping geometry"? Or do we change the number of those features such that they are all divisible by the number of sectors.

If my question is unclear, please let me know.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    13 KB · Views: 375
Engineering news on Phys.org
You have to use your skill and judgment. First decide what questions the model is supposed to answer. ("Tell me everything about the structure" isn't a useful question to ask the model!)

If those slots and holes are minor features of the whole model, you could probably approximate them the same way as you would in an axisymmetric model. On the other hand if they are the important features you might need to make a full model.

Related to Cyclic Symmetry Analysis: Capturing Features

1. What is cyclic symmetry analysis?

Cyclic symmetry analysis is a mathematical and analytical technique used in engineering and science to study the properties and behavior of structures or systems that exhibit rotational symmetry. It involves dividing a structure into smaller segments or substructures and analyzing their behavior to understand the overall response of the entire structure.

2. What are the benefits of using cyclic symmetry analysis?

Using cyclic symmetry analysis can help save time and computational resources by reducing the size of the problem. It also allows for a better understanding of the structural behavior, which can lead to improved designs and more efficient use of materials. Additionally, cyclic symmetry analysis can provide insights into the effects of asymmetry or perturbations on the structure's response.

3. How is cyclic symmetry analysis performed?

Cyclic symmetry analysis involves dividing the structure into smaller segments with similar geometry and material properties. The response of each segment is then calculated separately, and the results are combined to determine the overall response of the structure. This process can be performed using analytical methods or computational tools such as finite element analysis.

4. What types of structures can be analyzed using cyclic symmetry analysis?

Cyclic symmetry analysis is commonly used for structures with rotational symmetry, such as turbines, gears, and propellers. It can also be applied to structures with approximate symmetry, such as aircraft wings and car wheels. Additionally, it can be used in various engineering disciplines, including mechanical, aerospace, and civil engineering.

5. Are there any limitations to cyclic symmetry analysis?

While cyclic symmetry analysis can be a powerful tool, it does have some limitations. It is most effective for structures with high rotational symmetry, and the accuracy of the results may decrease as the level of asymmetry increases. Additionally, it may not be suitable for structures with complex loading conditions or material nonlinearities. It is important to carefully consider the assumptions and limitations of cyclic symmetry analysis before applying it to a specific problem.