Submarine fluid physics problem

In summary, the maximum depth in a lake to which the submarine can go without damaging the window is 751 meters, rounded to the nearest whole number.
cathliccat
Ok, 'A circular window with a 30 cm diameter in a submarine can withstand a maximum force of 5.2x10^5N. What is the maximum depth (in m) in a lake to which the submarine can go without damaging the window round off to the nearest whole number?'

I tried P=F/A=pAhg/A, so I converted 30 cm to meters, solved for P then tried to find h. p=1000, A=pi*.15^2, h=?, g =9.8. So .070 = 9.8h, h=7.21X10^-6. That can't be right because then the submarine wouldn't move at all before the window busted.

Can someone tell me where I went wrong? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org

Originally posted by cathliccat
I tried P=F/A=pAhg/A
This is correct. It seems that somehow you later derived the equation A = g h, since you said "0.70 = 9.8 h." I'm not sure at all where got this! You have the right equation -- just solve it for h.

The pressure at a depth of h meters in a fluid is given by

P = [rho] g h

The force on the window is indeed equal to

F = P A or P = F / A

where A is the area of the window.

Equating these, we get

P = F / A
[rho] g h = F / A

h = F / (A [rho] g)

Does this make sense?

- Warren

I'm trying to figure out where you got the "0.70" in ".070 = 9.8h"!

You are correct that P=F/A=ρAhg/A or, since it is F we are given rather than P, F= ρAhg.

You are given that F= 5.2x10^5N so that hg=9.8h= 5.2x10^5/(ρA)

The Area is π(.15)2= 0.0708 sq.m so F/A= 7356495. Taking &rho= 1000 gives F/(ρA)= 7356.495= 9.8h so h= 751 meters.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a submarine fluid physics problem?

A submarine fluid physics problem refers to any issue or challenge faced by a submarine or underwater vehicle due to the interactions between the vehicle, water, and the surrounding fluid environment.

2. What are some common examples of submarine fluid physics problems?

Examples of submarine fluid physics problems include buoyancy control, propulsion, stability and maneuvering, and noise reduction.

3. How do scientists study submarine fluid physics problems?

Scientists use principles of fluid mechanics, such as Bernoulli's principle, to study submarine fluid physics problems. They also use computer simulations, physical experiments, and mathematical models to understand and solve these problems.

4. What are the potential consequences of not addressing submarine fluid physics problems?

If submarine fluid physics problems are not properly addressed, it can lead to safety hazards, decreased performance and efficiency, and increased maintenance costs for submarines and underwater vehicles.

5. How can submarine fluid physics problems be solved or prevented?

Submarine fluid physics problems can be solved or prevented by using advanced technology and materials, improving design and engineering processes, and conducting thorough testing and maintenance procedures. Collaboration between scientists, engineers, and naval personnel is also crucial in addressing these problems.