Curve Fitting Analysis: Finding Uncertainty in Delta I

In summary: Thanks Gib Z.In summary, Winzer needs to integrate a function over a range to find its error, and Gib Z suggests using the Newton-Cotes formula for n=3 which will take care of the integration automatically.
Winzer

Homework Statement

I had to do a curve fit on some data and got an equation to the form:

Homework Equations

[tex] F(t) = a_0 + a_1 t + a_2 t^2[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Each parameter has an associated uncertainty.
I need to integrate F(t) over a range to get I. How do I find the the uncertainty in delta I with the error for each parameter.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Winzer! :smile:

(try using the X2 and X2 tags just above the Reply box :wink:)
Winzer said:
Each parameter has an associated uncertainty.
I need to integrate F(t) over a range to get I. How do I find the the uncertainty in delta I with the error for each parameter.

I'm not sure what you're asking …

the integral is a0t + a1t2/2 + a2t3/3 + constant …

what is the problem with the uncertainty in that?

The op means that he has 3 values for t, experimentally measured so they have some uncertainty. So they could be A, with an error of +/- a, B with an error of +/- b, and C with an error of +/- c, where A,B and C are the measured values, and a,b and c are the uncertainties in measuring them.

To get the error range for I, you need to set up all 3 quadratic equations each fitted to
A+a, B+b, C+c, another to A,B,C and another to A-a, B-b, C-c.

Once you have those 3 equations, the integral for the first one is the upper limit for I, the integral for the second one is the estimate you will be using, and the integral for the 3rd one is the lower limit for I (assuming the parabola is concave up, otherwise the first integral is the lower limit and third one is upper).

Thanks Gib Z. For some reason I thought there was a quadrature way of doing it.

Winzer said:
Thanks Gib Z. For some reason I thought there was a quadrature way of doing it.

Ahh actually there is, and it might have been quicker ! =[ Using the Newton-Cotes formula for n=3 (Simpson's Rule) takes away the need to find parabolas fitting points and does the integration automatically! The formula is

[tex] \frac{b-a}{6} (f_0 + 4 f_1 + f_2) [/tex]

with error term of [itex]-\frac{(b-a)^5}{2880}\,f^{(4)}(\xi)[/itex] but these are parabolas anyway so the error term is zero. Hence we can easily see that if [itex]\Delta f_n[/itex] is the maximum uncertainty in measurement, the maximum uncertainty in the integral is :

[tex] \pm \frac{b-a}{6} ( \Delta f_0 + 4\Delta f_1 + \Delta f_2 )[/tex].

Somewhat an easier process to carry out!

Related to Curve Fitting Analysis: Finding Uncertainty in Delta I

1. What is curve fitting analysis?

Curve fitting analysis is a statistical method used to determine the relationship between two variables and to predict future values. It involves fitting a mathematical function to a set of data points in order to find the best fit line or curve.

2. How is uncertainty in delta I calculated in curve fitting analysis?

Uncertainty in delta I is typically calculated using a method called least squares regression, which minimizes the sum of the squared differences between the actual data points and the predicted values from the curve fit. This method takes into account the variability of the data and provides a measure of the uncertainty in the predicted values.

3. What factors can affect the uncertainty in delta I?

The uncertainty in delta I can be affected by several factors, including the number of data points used for the curve fit, the distribution of the data points, and the type of mathematical function used for the curve fit. Additionally, any errors or inconsistencies in the data can also impact the uncertainty in delta I.

4. How can the uncertainty in delta I be used in practical applications?

The uncertainty in delta I is an important measure in scientific research and can be used to assess the reliability and accuracy of the predicted values from a curve fit. It can also be used to determine the confidence intervals for the predicted values and to make informed decisions about experimental design and data analysis.

5. Are there any limitations to using curve fitting analysis for finding uncertainty in delta I?

Like any statistical method, curve fitting analysis has its limitations. It assumes that the data follows a specific mathematical function and may not work well with complex or non-linear relationships. Additionally, it is sensitive to outliers and errors in the data, so it is important to carefully evaluate and clean the data before performing the analysis.