Current state of grad programs in UK for US student

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty for international students to apply to UK graduate schools for physics due to lack of support and limited funding opportunities. It is also noted that having a MSc is often required for acceptance into a PhD program in the UK, and that funding must be obtained through scholarships or research grants. Personal connections and a strong academic background may also increase chances of acceptance.
res3210
Hey everybody,

I am looking to solicit some information from those who might know. I have been poking around here to see what its like for an undergrad to possibly apply to UK grad schools for physics, and all the posts I find give the answer 'not good.' I was wondering if it is still like it was 5 years ago, with all the information I have read. I'm considering applying there because I have a certain love for quantum information in general, and quantum photonics in particular, and I know University of Bristol has a cool grad program regarding this. I was looking around at other grad schools there, and some of them have some real awesome research going on, which I would love to be involved in, and I wouldn't mind getting out of the US for a few years. What are the protocols for grad school in the UK? How feasible is it for an international student to study in the UK to get a PhD? From what I have seen, there is little to no support for international students, and getting any spot in a UK program hinges more on luck than anything else. I'm not a bad student, I love physics, my GPA is upper B+ to lower A-, and I am involved with research already in the field. In my mind, that seems like something good to have, but I have also read that programs there prefer a more theoretical background. Any kind of information would be nice.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Any of your advisor's have a connection to Bristol or elsewhere? My advisor has several connections at Oxford. I opted against leveraging them because I had no interest in working for anybody at Oxford, but according to him if any of those faculty wanted me I would have gotten in. I never investigated if my advisor's claims were true or not though.

I think what you read is rather accurate if I'm honest, I had a friend from the US who came over to do his masters in the same class as me at a top UK institution because he ****ed up his GRE's despite his 4.0 GPA. Spent the entire 1st semester stressing over whether he could get into any grad school, he ended up applying to oxbridge, UCL, ICL, Durham, Warwick, Edinburgh, and Bristol... Was given false hope by being conditionally accepted to 6/8 of those, the condition being he gets funding which is attained via different medium to STFC for nationals and he was declined for every single one despite him being on track for a distinction, they usually place 1-2 international students for consideration from each department across the university for the same very limited international funding, rather outrageous but that's the truth. I'm really not even sure what makes the people who acquire this funding successful beyond winning a fields medal or something, I must add this was in theoretical particle physics which is particularly competitive, but as I say each department across the University seems to be considered for the same funding.

Last edited:
First of all, there are plenty of foreign PhD students in the UK. In the group where I work we have people from India, China, Spain etc.

There are essentially two issues,. The first being that it is difficult (not impossible, but difficult) to get accepted to a PhD program unless you already have a MSc (in some places it is impossible, an MSc is e.g. a requirement to get accepted to all Doctoral Training Centres). This is obviously a problem if you are from the US since the "normal" route there would be to apply to graduate school after finishing a BSc. In the UK there is also no connection between an MSc and PhD; getting accepted to a MSc program does in no way guarantee that you will then be accepted as a PhD student.

The second issue is funding. Ideally you need to find your own funding via some form of scholarship (this is the case with nearly all our international students). There are other ways to fund PhD students (i.e. from research grants), . especially for students not attending a DTC, but there are few such positions nowadays; so you would have to be very good (or have good connections) in order to get accepted.

Related to Current state of grad programs in UK for US student

1. What are the requirements for US students to apply for grad programs in the UK?

US students typically need to have a bachelor's degree from an accredited university, a strong academic record, and a competitive GRE or GMAT score to apply for grad programs in the UK. They may also need to provide proof of English proficiency, such as a TOEFL or IELTS score.

2. How do grad programs in the UK differ from those in the US?

Grad programs in the UK tend to be shorter in duration, typically lasting one year compared to the two-year programs in the US. UK programs also tend to be more specialized, with students focusing on a specific subject or area of study. Additionally, UK programs may have a more research-focused curriculum and offer opportunities for students to work closely with faculty on research projects.

3. Are there any financial aid options available for US students in grad programs in the UK?

Yes, there are various financial aid options available for US students in grad programs in the UK, including scholarships, grants, and loans. Some universities may also offer funding opportunities specifically for international students. It is important for students to research and apply for these options early in the application process.

4. Is it necessary to have a visa to study in the UK as a US student?

Yes, US students will need to obtain a student visa in order to study in the UK. The type of visa required will depend on the length of the program and the student's citizenship. It is important for students to check the UK government's website for the most up-to-date visa requirements and application process.

5. What is the job market like for international students who graduate from UK grad programs?

The job market for international students who graduate from UK grad programs can vary depending on the field of study and the current economic climate. However, many universities in the UK have strong career services departments that can assist students in finding job opportunities and navigating the job market. Additionally, UK degrees are highly regarded and can be beneficial for those seeking employment in both the UK and other countries.