Current, Power and Energy in a Capacitance

In summary: What integral? You've already got i = c \frac{dv}{dt}, which you've done graphically. And then you've got P=vi, which is just multiplication. Then you've got W = 1/2 cV^2.
dudforreal
Homework Statement
The graph below shows the voltage across a 100 μF capacitor vs. time.
Find the current (Ix), the power delivered (Px) and the energy stored (Wx) at time tx = 8 s.

The attempt at a solution

I found the current, Ix using the capacitance multiplied by the slope between 7s and 13s. However, I got stuck when I tried to integrate the voltage in order to find power because I don't know what the limits t and t0 should be.

Attachments

• j.aspx.png
    j.aspx.png
    14.5 KB · Views: 642
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,

You seem to have calculated the current correctly, so you are on the right track. But to calculate the power, I think you are over-complicating the problem; no integral is necessary. There is a very simple relationship between the power delivered to, and the voltage across a capacitor in a DC circuit.

However, the energy stored in the capacitor will require an integral (well, strictly speaking anyway). But perhaps once you've worked out the power delivered to the capacitor, you may be able to work out this part.

Let me know how you go.

well the method i was using to calculate the power was first finding v=1/c multiplied with the integral of current already found out and then using using the relationship p=vi with the valuse we already have.

dudforreal said:
well the method i was using to calculate the power was first finding v=1/c multiplied with the integral of current already found out and then using using the relationship p=vi with the values we already have.

That's correct. Note that both the voltage and the current are negative over interval [0..8ms], so the energy absorbed by the capacitor is positive. You can calculate it as the integral of "vi dt" over that interval, but it's much easier to just use [itex]W= \frac{1}{2} C V^2[/itex].

I know that to calculate energy is W=1/2CV^2, I'm just still stuck on how to get voltage and what limits to put for the integral.

dudforreal said:
I know that to calculate energy is W=1/2CV^2, I'm just still stuck on how to get voltage and what limits to put for the integral.

What integral? You've already got [itex]i = c \frac{dv}{dt}[/itex], which you've done graphically. And then you've got P=vi, which is just multiplication. Then you've got W = 1/2 cV^2.

You've already got the voltage, it was given in the question.

I'm confused about exactly what you're asking.

ok i get it now i just didn't realize that you have 2 use the point gradient formula . Thanks alot.

Lol I'm doing a very similar question on webtutor I'm guessing ur question is from that as well just wanted to say it was really helpful to me thnx :)

Related to Current, Power and Energy in a Capacitance

What is capacitance?

Capacitance is the ability of a system to store an electric charge. It is measured in units of Farads (F).

What is the relationship between current and capacitance?

The current in a capacitor is directly proportional to the rate of change of voltage across it. This relationship is described by the equation I = C*dV/dt, where I is the current, C is the capacitance, and dV/dt is the rate of change of voltage.

How does power factor affect capacitance?

Power factor is a measure of how efficiently a circuit uses or delivers power. In a purely capacitive circuit, the power factor is equal to 1, meaning all the power is being delivered to the device. However, as the power factor decreases, the effective capacitance also decreases.

How is energy stored in a capacitor?

When a capacitor is charged, energy is stored in the electric field between its plates. The amount of energy stored is equal to 1/2*C*V^2, where C is the capacitance and V is the voltage across the capacitor.

What is the time constant of a capacitor?

The time constant of a capacitor is the time it takes for the capacitor to charge or discharge to 63.2% of its maximum value. It is equal to the product of the capacitance and the resistance in the circuit, represented by the symbol RC.