Current Carrying Wire in Magnetic Field

In summary, the total magnetic force acting on the loop can be found by calculating the magnetic field from the wire at the top and bottom, and then using the formula f_m = IL x B to find the force on each side of the loop. The forces on the two sides parallel to each other will cancel each other out, leaving a net force on the loop. The equations provided in the attempt at a solution appear to be used properly and the net force should be calculated to determine the direction of the force.
DeChance

Homework Statement

Find the total magnetic force acting on the loop
http://tinypic.com/r/2yvvyuw/5

Homework Equations

f[itex]_{m}[/itex] = IL X B
B =[itex]\frac{μ_{0}*I}{2∏*R}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Magnetic Field from Wire at Top
B = [itex]\frac{4∏*10^{-7}*10}{2∏*2*10^{-2}}[/itex]
B = .0001

Magnetic Field from Wire at Bottom
B = [itex]\frac{4∏*10^{-7}*10}{2∏*5*10^{-2}}[/itex]
B = .00004

Force on top of wire
F[itex]_{m}[/itex] = 8*5*10[itex]^{-2}[/itex]*.0001
F[itex]_{m}[/itex] = .00004

Force on bottom of wire
F[itex]_{m}[/itex] = 8*5*10[itex]^{-2}[/itex]*.00004
F[itex]_{m}[/itex] = .0000016

Hello everyone! Heard about you awesome guys from a classmate, kinda late in the semester but better late than never :-p. At this point I'm not sure what to do. I assume the two sides that are parallel to each other will cancel each other out at this point, but I'm not sure. Also I wanted to be sure the formulas I used were used properly above!

Attachments

• New Bitmap Image (2).bmp
    410 KB · Views: 508
Physics news on Phys.org
Your equations look right.
DeChance said:
I assume the two sides that are parallel to each other will cancel each other out
If you mean the two of length 3cm, yes. (Which way will the forces act on them?)
You are asked for the net force on the loop, but you have only posted the forces on the upper and lower parts of the loop separately. What is the net force, and which way will it act?

Related to Current Carrying Wire in Magnetic Field

1. How does a current carrying wire interact with a magnetic field?

When a current carrying wire is placed in a magnetic field, it experiences a force known as the Lorentz force. This force is perpendicular to both the direction of the current and the magnetic field, causing the wire to move in a circular or helical motion.

2. What factors affect the strength of the force on a current carrying wire in a magnetic field?

The strength of the force on a current carrying wire in a magnetic field is affected by the magnitude of the current, the strength of the magnetic field, and the angle between the direction of the current and the magnetic field lines.

3. How can the direction of the force on a current carrying wire be determined?

The direction of the force on a current carrying wire can be determined using the right-hand rule. If you point your thumb in the direction of the current and your fingers in the direction of the magnetic field, the direction your palm is facing will indicate the direction of the force.

4. What happens to the force on a current carrying wire if the direction of the magnetic field is reversed?

If the direction of the magnetic field is reversed, the direction of the force on the current carrying wire will also be reversed. This is because the force is dependent on the direction of the current and the magnetic field, which are both reversed.

5. Can a current carrying wire in a magnetic field experience a torque?

Yes, a current carrying wire in a magnetic field can experience a torque, as long as the wire is not parallel to the magnetic field lines. This torque is caused by the interaction between the magnetic field and the magnetic dipole moment of the wire, which is created by the current flowing through it.