Current and Voltage in Transformers

In summary, the current through a resistor is determined by its voltage and resistance, not the capability of the power supply. In the case of a step down transformer, the voltage may be reduced but the current will remain the same as long as the resistance stays the same. Ohm's Law still applies.
cavis
Hi there,
I've got a fairly simple question theoretical question about transformers and I suspect it stems from a misconception I have about them. I understand that step down transformers can be used in situations where a high current is desired but that they also reduce the voltage in the secondary turns relative to the primary turns.

Here in a nutshell is what's causing me grief. I'm envisioning an AC power supply that is connected to just a single resistor and has a certain current through the resistor as determined by the resistance. If instead the AC power supply was connected to a step down transformer and the resistor was connected to the other side of the circuit, I'm faced with a bit of a paradox.

One the one hand, I know that the current should be greater as a result of the stepping down of the current, but shouldn't a straightforward application of Ohm's law tell us that since the voltage applied to the resistor was stepped down that the current would also drop? What am I missing here?

Cheers,

Chris

Engineering news on Phys.org
The current through a resistor is a direct function (Ohm's Law) of the voltage across it.

The fact that the supply to the resistor is capable of providing more current than the resistor draws is irrelevant.

Think of it in another way. Your 110V wall AC plug usually can supply up to 15A of current. But if you plug a 100W light bult, It only draw about 1A of current and no more. Just because the AC plug is capable to supply 15A does not mean it will drive 15A out no matter what device you plug into. It is only the capability of the wall plug.

The current draw is govern by the impedance of the load, if you put a 110KΩ resistor across a 110V source, you are going to draw 1mA even though the source is capable to supply 15A.

Related to Current and Voltage in Transformers

1. What is the difference between current and voltage in transformers?

Current refers to the flow of electrical charge through a circuit, while voltage is the force that drives this current. In a transformer, the voltage is increased or decreased while the current remains constant.

2. How does a transformer change the current and voltage in a circuit?

A transformer works by using electromagnetic induction to transfer energy from one circuit to another. The primary coil, where the voltage is applied, creates a changing magnetic field that induces a voltage in the secondary coil, resulting in a change in current and voltage.

3. What is the relationship between current and voltage in a transformer?

The relationship between current and voltage in a transformer is inversely proportional. This means that as voltage increases, current decreases, and vice versa. This relationship is described by Ohm's law, which states that current (I) is equal to voltage (V) divided by resistance (R).

4. Can a transformer change both current and voltage at the same time?

No, a transformer can only change either the current or the voltage. This is because the power input and output of a transformer are equal, meaning that any increase in voltage is accompanied by a decrease in current, and vice versa.

5. How does the efficiency of a transformer affect the current and voltage?

The efficiency of a transformer refers to the ratio of output power to input power. A more efficient transformer will have less energy loss, resulting in a smaller change in current and voltage. This is because the power input and output of a transformer are equal, so any energy lost as heat will result in a decrease in the output current and voltage.