Curl in spherical polar coordinates

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of spherical polar coordinates and the calculation of the curl in these coordinates. It is shown that the vector field g(r)r can be expressed in terms of the basis vectors \hat{e}_r, \hat{e}_\theta, and \hat{e}_\phi and that when this vector field is used to calculate the curl, the result is zero. This implies that there exists a potential function associated with any vector field of this form. The conversation also touches on calculating work with a varying force and the use of integrals in this calculation.
Hey, I've been stuck on this question for quite a while now:

Homework Statement

1a. Write down an expression for the position vector r in spherical polar coordinates.

1b. Show that for any function g(r) of r only, where r = |r|, the result [itex]\nabla[/itex] x [g(r)r] = 0 is true. Why does this imply that there is a potential function associated with any vector field g(r)r?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So for (1a) I've written r = r[itex]\hat{e}[/itex][itex]_{r}[/itex]
But for (1b) I really don't know what I'm doing, I know how to take the curl but not which function to use. So could anyone give me a clue as to where to start?
For the potential function bit I've written about the vector field being path-independent.

Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What is [itex]\nabla \times \mathbf{A}[/itex] equal to when expressed in spherical coordinates?

OK, so just identify what the components of the vector field are equal to when the vector field is of the form g(r)r and plug it into that expression. You should find you can evaluate it without knowing the specific form of g(r).

vela said:
OK, so just identify what the components of the vector field are equal to when the vector field is of the form g(r)r and plug it into that expression. You should find you can evaluate it without knowing the specific form of g(r).

I don't really know how to do that. Am I supposed to use the answer from part (a)?

In Cartesian coordinates, you have the three basis vectors (for R3), [itex]\hat{e}_x[/itex], [itex]\hat{e}_y[/itex], and [itex]\hat{e}_z[/itex], and the vector assigned to the point (x,y,z) can be expressed in terms of these basis vectors:
[tex]\mathbf{A} = A_x(x,y,z) \hat{e}_x + A_y(x,y,z) \hat{e}_y + A_z(x,y,z) \hat{e}_z[/tex]
To calculate the curl in Cartesian coordinates, you need Ax, Ay, and Az, which you simply identify as the coefficients of the basis vectors.

In spherical coordinates, it's convenient to use the three basis vectors [itex]\hat{e}_r[/itex], [itex]\hat{e}_\theta[/itex], and [itex]\hat{e}_\phi[/itex], and you can write
[tex]\mathbf{A} = A_r(r,\theta,\phi) \hat{e}_r + A_\theta(r,\theta,\phi) \hat{e}_\theta + A_\phi(r,\theta,\phi) \hat{e}_\phi[/tex]
Here you do the same thing as before. To find Ar, for instance, you just find the coefficient of the basis vector [itex]\hat{e}_r[/itex].

In this problem, you're told the vector field is equal to [itex]\mathbf{A} = g(r)\mathbf{r}[/itex]. Using your answer to part (a), you can express this in terms of the basis vectors so you can identify what the various components are.

vela said:
In Cartesian coordinates, you have the three basis vectors (for R3), [itex]\hat{e}_x[/itex], [itex]\hat{e}_y[/itex], and [itex]\hat{e}_z[/itex], and the vector assigned to the point (x,y,z) can be expressed in terms of these basis vectors:
[tex]\mathbf{A} = A_x(x,y,z) \hat{e}_x + A_y(x,y,z) \hat{e}_y + A_z(x,y,z) \hat{e}_z[/tex]
To calculate the curl in Cartesian coordinates, you need Ax, Ay, and Az, which you simply identify as the coefficients of the basis vectors.

In spherical coordinates, it's convenient to use the three basis vectors [itex]\hat{e}_r[/itex], [itex]\hat{e}_\theta[/itex], and [itex]\hat{e}_\phi[/itex], and you can write
[tex]\mathbf{A} = A_r(r,\theta,\phi) \hat{e}_r + A_\theta(r,\theta,\phi) \hat{e}_\theta + A_\phi(r,\theta,\phi) \hat{e}_\phi[/tex]
Here you do the same thing as before. To find Ar, for instance, you just find the coefficient of the basis vector [itex]\hat{e}_r[/itex].

In this problem, you're told the vector field is equal to [itex]\mathbf{A} = g(r)\mathbf{r}[/itex]. Using your answer to part (a), you can express this in terms of the basis vectors so you can identify what the various components are.

So, I get out that Ar is g(r)r, so just a function of r. Does this mean that there are no [itex]\theta[/itex] or [itex]\phi[/itex] terms, and when calculating the curl you never get [itex]\delta[/itex]/[itex]\delta[/itex]r of an r function, so it's zero?

Yup, that's right.

vela said:
Yup, that's right.

Thanks a lot for your help :smile:
I wonder if you could help me with the next bit. It says:

I imagine that's completely wrong!

Last edited:
Your expression for work is for a constant force. Here, the force varies with position, so you must use the general expression[tex]W = \int_C \mathbf{F}\cdot d\mathbf{r}[/tex] where C is the path the object follows.

vela said:
Your expression for work is for a constant force. Here, the force varies with position, so you must use the general expression[tex]W = \int_C \mathbf{F}\cdot d\mathbf{r}[/tex] where C is the path the object follows.

Ooh, okay, I thought there should be an integral somewhere! Thanks again :smile:

Related to Curl in spherical polar coordinates

1. What is curl in spherical polar coordinates?

Curl is a mathematical operator that measures the rotation or circulation of a vector field at a given point in space. In spherical polar coordinates, it represents the amount of rotation of a vector field around a point in three-dimensional space.

2. How is curl calculated in spherical polar coordinates?

Curl in spherical polar coordinates can be calculated using the following formula:

∇ x F = (1/r sinθ)(∂(Fz sinθ)/∂θ - ∂Fr/∂z)er + (1/r)(∂(Fr sinθ)/∂z - ∂Fθ/∂r)eθ + (1/r)(∂(rFθ)/∂r - ∂Fθ/∂θ)eφ

where F is the vector field and ∇ is the gradient operator.

3. What is the physical interpretation of curl in spherical polar coordinates?

The physical interpretation of curl in spherical polar coordinates is the measure of the amount of rotation or circulation of a vector field around a point in three-dimensional space. It can also be thought of as the tendency of a vector field to swirl or rotate around a point.

4. How does curl in spherical polar coordinates differ from other coordinate systems?

Curl in spherical polar coordinates differs from other coordinate systems, such as Cartesian coordinates, in the way it is calculated. In spherical polar coordinates, the vector field is expressed in terms of three components: Fr, Fθ, and Fφ, while in Cartesian coordinates, it is expressed in terms of x, y, and z components. The calculation of curl also differs in each coordinate system.

5. What are some practical applications of curl in spherical polar coordinates?

Curl in spherical polar coordinates has many practical applications in physics and engineering. It is commonly used in fluid mechanics to describe the rotation and vorticity of fluids. It is also used in electromagnetism to calculate the magnetic field around a current-carrying wire. Additionally, it is used in weather forecasting to understand the rotation and circulation of air masses.