Curious Mathematica Result, Evaluating Bell Ineqality

In summary, the poster is using Mathematica to calculate a bell inequality but is getting a sequence with an "a" in the result that is not a declared variable. They are unsure of what this "a" means and are asking for help in understanding it. They should be getting a value of 3.414 but are getting a sequence with an "a" instead. The equations they are using are included and they mention that they may have made a mistake in the last line.
daverace
Hi guys, first post, sorry if it's in the wrong place. Frequent visitor, you seem to help pretty comprehensively.

I'm using mathematica to calculate a bell inequality, with a general noisy quantum state. However, when I evaluate it, I get a sequence with an a in the result.. which isn't a declared variable. I'm not really sure what it means, and given the generality of 'a', googling it is pretty much impossible. The question I'm asking is, what on Earth is this 'a'? If it was 'i', I'd know how to start looking for a solution, but this is just strange.

I should be getting a value of 3.414 or so (maximum violation for a quantum state)

Here's an example of what I'm getting
Code:
Evaluate[B1,q=1]
Sequence[2.28222 + 0.0266136 a, 1]

Homework Equations

Here's the equations I'm using, if they're at all relevant.
Code:
x = ArcTan[q]
A = (Cos[x/2]^2)/2
B = (Sin[x/2]^2)/2
ab00 = A (2 - q)
ab01 = B (2 - q)
c = (Cos[x/2] + Sin[x/2])/4
d = (Cos[x/2] - Sin[x/2])/4
B1 = ab00 + ab00 + 2 c (q) + 2 q (A) + 2 a (B) + 2 q (d)

The Attempt at a Solution

No attempted solution, just too confused!

Physics news on Phys.org
I can't claim to understand exactly what you are doing here, but in the last line should you have two ab00 terms instead of one ab00 and one ab01? If yes, why bother defining ab01?

The actual terms for the X0Y0 measurements and X0Y1's are the same (hence me using ab00 twice). (edit:) The ab01 is used elsewhere in the calculations, didn't realized I'd copied it twice, by accident.

It's not the exact terms that's the problem, repetition, whether I've got the Bell Inequality right etc.

It's why has this 2.0.. + 1.00a, that a, turned up in the answer?

Haha, nevermind. I typoed the a. Man I'm stupid for not checking that. Sorry for wasting your time there :]

Dear curious mathematician,

Thank you for reaching out and sharing your question with us. It's always exciting to see others using Mathematica for their research and calculations. From what you have described, it sounds like you are trying to evaluate a Bell inequality using a general noisy quantum state. However, you are getting a strange result with an 'a' that is not a declared variable in your equation. This can definitely be confusing and frustrating, especially when trying to find a solution.

Without seeing your code and equations, it's difficult for me to give a specific answer. However, I can offer some suggestions and ideas to help you figure out the issue. First, I would double check that all your variables and equations are correctly defined and used in your code. It's possible that you may have a typo or missing variable that is causing the 'a' to appear in your result. Additionally, it may be helpful to try simplifying your equations and inputting them into Mathematica step by step to see where the 'a' is coming from. This can help narrow down the problem and potentially lead to a solution.

If you are still unable to find a solution, I would recommend reaching out to the Mathematica community for assistance. There are many forums and online communities dedicated to discussing and troubleshooting Mathematica, and you may be able to find someone who has encountered a similar issue or has a solution for you. Additionally, you can also contact Wolfram support for further assistance with your specific problem.

In terms of your equations, they do seem relevant to your issue. It may be helpful to double check your calculations and make sure you are using the correct values for each variable. It's possible that a small error in your calculations could lead to the appearance of the 'a' in your result.

Overall, I would encourage you to keep exploring and experimenting with your code to try and find a solution. As a scientist, it's important to embrace challenges and use them as opportunities to learn and grow. I wish you the best of luck in your research and solving this curious Mathematica result.

Best,

Related to Curious Mathematica Result, Evaluating Bell Ineqality

1. What is the Bell Inequality?

The Bell Inequality is a mathematical concept that is used to test the validity of local realism in quantum mechanics. It states that the results of certain measurements in a physical system cannot be explained by local hidden variables.

2. What is the significance of evaluating the Bell Inequality?

Evaluating the Bell Inequality allows us to test the validity of local realism in quantum mechanics and gain a better understanding of the fundamental nature of reality. It also has practical applications in fields such as cryptography and quantum computing.

3. How is the Bell Inequality evaluated in Mathematica?

In Mathematica, the Bell Inequality is evaluated using the BellTest function, which takes in a set of measurements and calculates the Bell parameter. If the resulting value is greater than a certain threshold, the Bell Inequality is violated, indicating that local realism is not a valid explanation for the measurements.

4. What is a "curious" Mathematica result in the context of evaluating the Bell Inequality?

A "curious" Mathematica result refers to a violation of the Bell Inequality that is unexpected or surprising. This can happen when the measurements are performed in a way that is not consistent with local realism, or when there are errors in the experimental setup.

5. How does evaluating the Bell Inequality contribute to the field of quantum mechanics?

Evaluating the Bell Inequality helps to further our understanding of the principles of quantum mechanics and the nature of reality. It also allows us to test and refine our theories, leading to potential advancements in technology and other fields that rely on our understanding of quantum mechanics.