Curiosity about the wavefunction

In summary: So even though we may use the same math to describe both systems, the physical interpretation is different.
gentsagree
Going back to the basics, I recall the wave function of quantum mechanics being dependent on space and time coordinates, such as [itex]\Psi (\overline{x},t)[/itex], however one says that quantum mechanics is a 0+1 dimensional (0 space, 1 time) QFT. So there is NO SPACE.

Now, I know there's the caveat that in QM position and momentum are operators on the Hilbert space of states, so in a way we could just have time as a physical coordinate, but how does this relate to the space dependence of the wave-function?

Sorry for the possibly trivial question, but this is bugging me!

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
It's probably easiest to see in the path integral formulation. Let's talk about bosons, so that the things in the path integral have classical meanings.

In quantum mechanics, it is classical particle trajectories that enter the path integral. Classical particle trajectories are lines like x(t), so they are "0 dimensional".

In quantum field theory, it is classical field configurations that enter the path integral. Classical field configurations are things like A(x,t), so they are "1 dimensional".

Last edited:
gentsagree said:
Going back to the basics, I recall the wave function of quantum mechanics being dependent on space and time coordinates, such as [itex]\Psi (\overline{x},t)[/itex], however one says that quantum mechanics is a 0+1 dimensional (0 space, 1 time) QFT. So there is NO SPACE.

Now, I know there's the caveat that in QM position and momentum are operators on the Hilbert space of states, so in a way we could just have time as a physical coordinate, but how does this relate to the space dependence of the wave-function?

Its expanded in eigenfunctions of the position operator which is how 'space' comes into it. There is no 'space' in normal QM as you correctly point out - that expansion is entirely arbitrary - you could expand it in eigenfunctions of momentum if you like. However Schroedinger's equation uses that form so it usually done that way.

Thanks
Bill

Last edited:
Likes vanhees71
gentsagree said:

Sorry for the possibly trivial question, but this is bugging me!

Thanks

I'm not sure whether this has already been answered, but the connection between quantum mechanics and 0+1 dimensional field theory is a little subtle.

For a massive free spin-zero field, you have the field equations:

[itex]\hbar^2 (\frac{\partial^2 }{(\partial t)^2} - \frac{1}{c^2} (\frac{\partial^2 }{(\partial x^1)^2} + \frac{\partial^2 }{(\partial x^2)^2} + ...)) \phi = -m^2 c^4 \phi [/itex]

If there are no spatial dimensions, then this is just

[itex]\hbar^2 \frac{d^2 }{d t^2}\phi = - m^2 c^4 \phi [/itex]

That's the same equation as the 1-D harmonic oscillator equation

[itex]\frac{d^2}{dt^2} X = - \omega^2 X[/itex]

if we identify [itex]\omega[/itex] with [itex]\frac{mc^2}{\hbar}[/itex]

Quantizing the 0+1 dimensional field [itex]\phi[/itex] means treating [itex]\phi[/itex] and [itex]\frac{d}{dt} \phi[/itex] as operators, just like quantizing the classical equations of motion for the harmonic oscillator means treating [itex]X[/itex] and [itex]\frac{d}{dt} X[/itex] as operators.

But notice that even though the two theories are mathematically the same, they have different interpretations. In the case of the harmonic oscillator, [itex]X[/itex] is a location in space, while in the case of 0+1 dimensional field theory, [itex]\phi[/itex] is a field strength, and is not a location.

Likes Jilang

Related to Curiosity about the wavefunction

1. What is the wavefunction?

The wavefunction is a mathematical function used in quantum mechanics to describe the probability of finding a particle at a certain position in space and time.

2. How is the wavefunction related to quantum mechanics?

The wavefunction is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics as it describes the behavior of particles at the subatomic level. It is used in equations to calculate probabilities and make predictions about the behavior of particles.

3. Can the wavefunction be observed or measured?

No, the wavefunction itself cannot be directly observed or measured. However, its effects can be observed through experiments and observations of particle behavior.

4. What does the wavefunction collapse mean?

The wavefunction collapse is a concept in quantum mechanics where the act of observation or measurement causes the wavefunction to "collapse" into a definite state. This means that the probability of finding a particle at a certain position becomes 100%.

5. How does the wavefunction affect our understanding of reality?

The wavefunction challenges our traditional understanding of reality as it suggests that particles can exist in multiple states simultaneously and only take on a definite state when observed. This concept has led to many philosophical debates and continues to push the boundaries of our understanding of the universe.