Cure Your Problem Solving Illness: Learn Simple Solutions

• Thread starter ShayanJ
  • Start date
In summary: I think he means I just created a problem for myself by assuming that what I described is a "problem solving illness"!
ShayanJ
Insights Author
Gold Member
I don't know the name of this but it seems that I have some kind of a problem solving illness. It has happened many times in my life that my close friends make fun of it from time to time. The problem is, sometimes when I think about something, its not the simplest solution that comes to my mind and its the more complicated solutions that comes to my mind first!
For example today someone asked me how to prove that the degeneracy of hydrogen atom energy levels(not considering fine structure) is ##n^2##. The solution is to compute the sum ## \displaystyle \sum_{l=0}^{n-1} (2l+1) ##. And this is what I sent him:
## \displaystyle \sum_{l=0}^{n-1} (2l+1)=\sum_{l=0}^{2n-1} l-\sum_{l=0}^{n-1} 2l=n(2n-1)-n(n-1)=2n^2-n-n^2+n=n^2 ##
But, there is an easier way to do the sum:
## \displaystyle \sum_{l=0}^{n-1} (2l+1)=2\sum_{l=0}^{n-1} l+\sum_{l=0}^{n-1} 1=n(n-1)+n=n^2##.

What is this illness? How can I cure it?

Likes tionis
Physics news on Phys.org
Don't worry, you are not the first one to have this problem.

The following problem can be solved either the easy way or the hard way.

Two trains 200 miles apart are moving toward each other; each one is going
at a speed of 50 miles per hour. A fly starting on the front of one of
them flies back and forth between them at a rate of 75 miles per hour. It
does this until the trains collide and crush the fly to death. What is the
total distance the fly has flown?

The fly actually hits each train an infinite number of times before it gets
crushed, and one could solve the problem the hard way with pencil and paper
by summing an infinite series of distances. The easy way is as follows:
Since the trains are 200 miles apart and each train is going 50 miles an
hour, it takes 2 hours for the trains to collide. Therefore the fly was
flying for two hours. Since the fly was flying at a rate of 75 miles per
hour, the fly must have flown 150 miles. That's all there is to it.

When this problem was posed to John von Neumann, he immediately replied,
"150 miles."

"It is very strange," said the poser, "but nearly everyone tries to sum the
infinite series."

"What do you mean, strange?" asked Von Neumann. "That's how I did it!"

Likes DrClaude, beamie564, billy_joule and 3 others
I don't see the problem. A solution is a solution.

Likes tionis and Pepper Mint
micromass said:
I don't see the problem. A solution is a solution.
Well, yes. But maybe the example in the OP was not a good example for what I mean. Sometimes it becomes conceptual and I think about a problem in a way that makes things unnecessarily complicated and so harder to think about and solve. And then my friends point out that I'm over-complicating things and explain the simpler way to think about it that gives the answer right away. It feels bad!

Likes tionis
Shayan.J said:
Well, yes. But maybe the example in the OP was not a good example for what I mean. Sometimes it becomes conceptual and I think about a problem in a way that makes things unnecessarily complicated and so harder to think about and solve. And then my friends point out that I'm over-complicating things and explain the simpler way to think about it that gives the answer right away. It feels bad!

You shouldn't feel bad. Finding the most elegant and short solution is very nice, but it's unrealistic. The first person to prove a given theorem in mathematics almost always had a very complicated solution. This solution is then usually simplified over time. Sometimes an argument of 50 pages gets simplified to a proof of half a page. So this kind of thing happens all the time. But the one who found the long and complicated solution gets the credit!

You know, problems that have an elegant and quick solution usually appear only in textbooks. When you come to real research problems, then it is exactly people like you who get to solve the problem quickly. People who see the most elegant way have a harder time because usually there is no elegant way.

But sure, if you're interested in seeing the more elegant and easier way of problems, then you should solve many problems. It's an experience thing mostly.

Likes beamie564, tionis, fresh_42 and 3 others
Shayan.J said:
What is this illness? How can I cure it?
You are too brilliant. You have moved beyond solving problems and should instead start creating them.

tionis said:
You have moved beyond solving problems and should instead start creating them.

He just did, have you read his first post?

Likes tionis, Sophia, ShayanJ and 1 other person
Borek said:
He just did, have you read his first post?
Those aren't new problems lol. He's using what other created for him. I'm talking about inventing new maths.

Likes Pepper Mint
tionis said:
Those aren't new problems lol. He's using what other created for him. I'm talking about inventing new maths.
I think he means I just created a problem for myself by assuming that what I described is a "problem solving illness"!
He's right!

Likes tionis, Pepper Mint and Borek
You don't have an illness, you have the ability to focus and an inner need to make sure you understand the problem thoroughly. Why short-cut the most enjoyable part of solving? You are more than fine by my book. :smile:

Likes tionis and ShayanJ
You are just being a little *unusual* in solving problems, and I think it is your hyper intuition. You know the means to get you to your final goal and your chosen path is far different from what other ordinary people would probably follow.

Likes tionis and ShayanJ
Shayan.J said:
I think he means I just created a problem for myself by assuming that what I described is a "problem solving illness"!
He's right!
Yes. An illness worth having but sadly not contagious o0)

Likes beamie564 and ShayanJ

Related to Cure Your Problem Solving Illness: Learn Simple Solutions

1. What is a problem solving illness?

A problem solving illness refers to a difficulty or inability to effectively solve problems. This can manifest in different ways, such as struggling with critical thinking, decision making, or finding solutions to complex issues.

2. How can "Cure Your Problem Solving Illness" help me?

This program provides simple and practical solutions for improving problem solving skills. It includes techniques, exercises, and strategies that can be easily implemented to enhance critical thinking and decision making abilities.

3. Who can benefit from this program?

Anyone who wants to improve their problem solving skills can benefit from "Cure Your Problem Solving Illness." This program is suitable for individuals of all ages and professions, from students to professionals.

4. Is this program based on scientific research?

Yes, "Cure Your Problem Solving Illness" is based on scientific research and evidence-based techniques. It combines principles from psychology, neuroscience, and cognitive science to provide effective solutions for improving problem solving skills.

5. How long does it take to see results from this program?

The time it takes to see results may vary from person to person, but consistent practice and application of the techniques and strategies taught in this program can lead to noticeable improvements in problem solving skills within a few weeks.