Cubed root denominator limit question

• Thread starter ochocinco1992
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit Root
In summary, L'Hôpital's rule is a mathematical tool that can be used to find the limit for most all expressions.
ochocinco1992

Homework Statement

Evaluate lim x->8 (x-8)/(cubed root of x) -2)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I multiplied both numerator and denominator by (cubed root of x) +2. In the denominator, I wrote it as ((x^1/3)-2)*((x^1/3)+2) which simplifies to (x^2/3)-4. I have ((x-8)*((cubed root of x) +2))/((x^2/3)-4). The answer should be 12 but I cannot reach this answer as I get an answer of 0 in the denominator

Physics news on Phys.org
Use L'Hôpital's rule...

which is?

I don't understand how to use it

I found this question on another website and they factored x-8 which canceled the ((x^1/3)-8) in the denominator and then you plug 8 into the rest of the numerator to get 12. Is it not possible to just multiply numerator and denominator by (x^1/3)+2?

Okay, as both the as both the numerator and denominator in your function equal 0, when x = 8, you end up with 0/0 which is undefined, so we must use L'Hôpital's rule. Differentiating the numerator with respect to (wrt) x and the numerator wrt x we get.

[tex]\frac{1}{\frac{1x^{\frac{-2}{3}}}{3}}[/tex] = [tex] \frac{3}{x^{\frac{-2}{3}}} [/tex]

when x = 8 the above expression equals 12.

I hope this example helps you understand L'Hôpital's rule, which is a very powerful mathematical tool for functions. Take sinc x as another example which is (sin x)/x. As x approaches 0 sinc x approaches 0/0, but using L'Hôpital's rule, we can say that when x = 0 sinc 0 = 1.

ochocinco1992 said:
I found this question on another website and they factored x-8 which canceled the ((x^1/3)-8) in the denominator and then you plug 8 into the rest of the numerator to get 12. Is it not possible to just multiply numerator and denominator by (x^1/3)+2?

If you had [itex]\sqrt{x} - 2[/itex] with a square root, you could multiply by its conjugate [itex]\sqrt{x} + 2[/itex]. However, you have [itex]\sqrt[3]{x} - 2[/itex] with a cube root which don't really have a conjugate.

So all you can do without using l'Hôpital's rule from Calc II is use the fact that x3 - y3 = (x - y)(x2 + xy + y2) and factor x - 8, or multiply [itex]\sqrt[3]{x} - 2[/itex] by something that will turn it into x - 8.

do as bohrok suggests note that x-8 = (x^(1/3))^3 - 2^3 and use the formula he wrote

rsa58 said:
do as bohrok suggests note that x-8 = (x^(1/3))^3 - 2^3 and use the formula he wrote

That is an acceptable way for this problem, but some expressions will not factor out as easily as this. That is why I have emphasised learning L'Hôpital's rule as it is an easy way to find the limit for all most all expressions.

Related to Cubed root denominator limit question

What is a cubed root denominator limit question?

A cubed root denominator limit question is a type of mathematical problem that involves finding the limit of a function as the input approaches a certain value. The function typically contains a cubed root in the denominator, which can make the limit more complicated to calculate.

How do I solve a cubed root denominator limit question?

To solve a cubed root denominator limit question, you can use algebraic manipulation and the laws of limits to simplify the function. Then, you can use techniques such as substitution or L'Hopital's rule to evaluate the limit.

What are some common mistakes when solving a cubed root denominator limit question?

One common mistake is forgetting to simplify the function before evaluating the limit. Another mistake is not considering the possibility of a removable discontinuity, which can occur when the function is undefined at the limit point but can be made continuous by cancelling out a common factor.

When do cubed root denominator limit questions arise in real-world applications?

Cubed root denominator limit questions can arise in various scenarios, such as calculating the maximum height of a projectile or determining the maximum possible profit in a business. These types of problems often involve finding the limit of a function that represents a physical or economic situation.

Are there any special techniques for solving difficult cubed root denominator limit questions?

Yes, there are some advanced techniques that can be used to solve particularly challenging cubed root denominator limit questions. These include Taylor series expansions, which can approximate the function near the limit point, and the squeeze theorem, which can help determine the limit by comparing the function to other known functions.