Crystal Optics -- Learning resources wanted....

In summary, for understanding crystal optics at a graduate level, it is recommended to read J.F. Nye's "Physical Properties of Crystals", which has a section on crystal optics and is known for being thorough and insightful yet easy to read. Another useful resource is the relevant chapter in Born and Wolf's textbook, and for more advanced topics, the OSAs Handbook of Optics has a chapter specifically on crystal optics.
shpongle
What are some good resources : books, websites, etc to understand crystal optics? I am a graduate student and I want to start with the basics.

Physics news on Phys.org
One book that I think every graduate Physics Student needs to read is J.F. Nye's "Physical Properties of Crystals -their representation by tensors and matrices" . I think it has a section on crystal optics as well. It is one of the better textbooks that is very thorough and very insightful, and at the same time still relatively easy to read.

shpongle said:
What are some good resources : books, websites, etc to understand crystal optics? I am a graduate student and I want to start with the basics.

At the graduate level, a standard introduction is the relevant chapter in Born and Wolf. Beyond that (photonic bandgap materials, for example), OSAs Handbook of Optics has a lot of good material in volume 4.

Charles Link said:
One book that I think every graduate Physics Student needs to read is J.F. Nye's "Physical Properties of Crystals -their representation by tensors and matrices" . I think it has a section on crystal optics as well. It is one of the better textbooks that is very thorough and very insightful, and at the same time still relatively easy to read.
From the contents it looks fine! Thanks

Likes Charles Link
Andy Resnick said:
At the graduate level, a standard introduction is the relevant chapter in Born and Wolf. Beyond that (photonic bandgap materials, for example), OSAs Handbook of Optics has a lot of good material in volume 4.
It does have a chapter on crystals optics! Will search it in the library. Thanks

Related to Crystal Optics -- Learning resources wanted....

What is crystal optics?

Crystal optics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of light as it passes through crystals. It involves studying the optical properties of crystals and how they affect the transmission, reflection, and polarization of light.

What are some resources for learning about crystal optics?

There are a variety of resources available for learning about crystal optics. Some popular options include textbooks, online lectures and tutorials, scientific journals and articles, and educational videos.

What are the basic principles of crystal optics?

The basic principles of crystal optics include the study of crystal systems, refractive index, birefringence, polarization, and crystal symmetry. These principles help to understand how light behaves when passing through crystals and how different crystal structures affect the properties of light.

What are some important applications of crystal optics?

Crystal optics has many important applications in various fields such as telecommunications, microscopy, spectroscopy, and laser technology. It is also used in the production of optical components like lenses, prisms, and polarizers.

Are there any online courses available for learning about crystal optics?

Yes, there are many online courses available for learning about crystal optics. Some universities offer online courses in this subject, and there are also several online learning platforms that offer courses on crystal optics. These courses may include lectures, assignments, and quizzes to help students understand the concepts better.