Cross Polarizers with a wave plate retardation

In summary, when a wave plate with a retardation τ is placed between crossed polarizers with its optical axis at an angle of θ, the transmitted intensity is given by I_out/I_in = sin^2(2θ)sin^2(τ/2). This can be further simplified by setting θ=45° to obtain maximum contrast. To solve this problem, we can use the equations E=P_θ*P_0*E_0 and I=E*E*, where ψ is the radian angle of retardation. We can then add the two electric field vectors and square and time-average the result to find the intensity at the output of the analyzer.
jcbale1

Homework Statement

"Consider a wave plate with a retardation τ=(η_0-n_e)*w*L/c. Show that when it is placed between crossed polarizers with its optical axis at an angle of θ with respect to the polarizer axis, the transmitted intensity is given by:

I_out/I_in= (sin^2(2θ)(sin^2(τ/2))

In practice, one often sets the optical axis at θ=45° to obtain maximum contrast.

Homework Equations

E=P_θ*P_0*E_0

I=E times E*

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that without any retardation I/I_0=cos^2(θ). I'm really not sure how to approach this problem

Physics news on Phys.org
Let's start by rewriting your given equations:

ψ = (n_o - n_e)Lω/c

since ψ is a radian angle so τ is not a good symbol since it usually has dimensions of time.

Then Io/Ii = sin2(2θ)sin2(ψ/2)

So you have one sinusoidally time-varying electric vector field Eo that passes thru the plate and then thru the polarizer and analyzer, and a second field Ee that does the same but is phase-shifted by ψ radians w/r/t Eo and is perpendicular to it.

Then at the output of the analyzer, add the two fields vectorially, then square and time-average to get the intensity, & off you go.

Thank you very much, that helps a lot!

Related to Cross Polarizers with a wave plate retardation

1. What are cross polarizers with a wave plate retardation?

Cross polarizers with a wave plate retardation are a type of optical setup used to control the polarization state of light. It consists of two polarizers placed at a 90 degree angle to each other, with a wave plate inserted between them. The wave plate is a birefringent material that alters the polarization of light passing through it.

2. What is the purpose of using cross polarizers with a wave plate retardation?

The purpose of this setup is to manipulate the polarization state of light. By adjusting the angle and thickness of the wave plate, the polarization of the light passing through can be changed. This is useful in various applications, such as in microscopy, spectroscopy, and optical communications.

3. How does the wave plate affect the polarization of light?

The wave plate is made of a birefringent material, meaning it has two different refractive indices for light polarized in different directions. When light passes through the wave plate, the two components of polarized light experience different phase shifts. This results in a change in the overall polarization of the light.

4. Can cross polarizers with a wave plate retardation be used to completely block light?

Yes, if the two polarizers are perfectly aligned, they will block all light passing through. This is because the first polarizer will only allow light with a certain polarization to pass through, and the second polarizer will block any remaining light.

5. Are there any limitations to using cross polarizers with a wave plate retardation?

One limitation is that the setup is sensitive to the angle and thickness of the wave plate. Any changes in these parameters can affect the polarization of the light passing through. Additionally, the birefringent material used in the wave plate may have limitations in terms of the wavelengths of light it can manipulate.