Critical points of system of DE

In summary, at four points (x',y'), (x,y)=(0,0), (0,1-\frac{3x}{2}), (1,3/2) and (1,-3/2), x=-x^2-2xy and y=-2y^2-3xy.
fluidistic
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Find all the critical points of the system of DE:
[itex]x'=x-x^2-2xy[/itex] and [itex]y'=2y-2y^2-3xy[/itex].

Homework Equations

[itex]y'=f(x, \vec y)[/itex] has critical point if [itex]f(\vec x )=0[/itex].

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm self studying DE's and I'm not understanding well what critical points are.
It looks like I must equate x' to 0 and isolate x (which I've done and it gave me [itex]x=0[/itex] or [itex]x=1-2y[/itex]) and equal y' to 0 and isolate y, which I've done and got [itex]y=0[/itex] or [itex]y=1-\frac{3x}{2}[/itex].
Now I don't know what to do.

Physics news on Phys.org
fluidistic said:

Homework Statement

Find all the critical points of the system of DE:
[itex]x'=x-x^2-2xy[/itex] and [itex]y'=2y-2y^2-3xy[/itex].

Homework Equations

[itex]y'=f(x, \vec y)[/itex] has critical point if [itex]f(\vec x )=0[/itex].

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm self studying DE's and I'm not understanding well what critical points are.
It looks like I must equate x' to 0 and isolate x (which I've done and it gave me [itex]x=0[/itex] or [itex]x=1-2y[/itex]) and equal y' to 0 and isolate y, which I've done and got [itex]y=0[/itex] or [itex]y=1-\frac{3x}{2}[/itex].
Now I don't know what to do.

I think you've got a fine start. The critical points are just where (x',y')=(0,0). (x,y)=(0,0) is certainly one. Combine your two conditions for x and y in pairs and solve each pair. You'll get four critical points. The one I gave you combines x=0 and y=0. Now combine x=0 and y=1-3x/2. There are two more combinations to try.

Ah ok thank you.
So for example for [itex](x,y)=(0,1-\frac{3x}{2})[/itex].
Gives [itex]y'=3x-\frac{9x^2}{2}[/itex] evaluated in x=0 gives 0. But on the other hand since [itex]y=1-\frac{3x}{2}[/itex], [itex]y'=3/2[/itex] which differ from the previous answer, 0. So that this isn't a critical point? Is the reasoning good? Or it's because 3/2 isn't equal to [itex]3x-\frac{-9x^2}{2}[/itex] that it isn't a critical point?

Edit: I'm confused about the notation. Is x'=dx/dy and y'=dy/dx?

Edit2: I tried the other combinations and none gave me critical points. Only the (0,0) is critical point.

Last edited:
Both x and y are functions of a parameter, t, and the derivative is with respect to this parameter. The differential equations mean
\begin{align*}
\frac{dx}{dt} &= x-x^2-2xy \\
\frac{dy}{dt} &= 2y-2y^2-3xy
\end{align*}
For the case x=0 and y=1-(3/2)x, you have y = 1-(3/2)(0) = 1. If you plug (x,y)=(0,1) back into the original differential equations, you will indeed find that dx/dt=0 and dy/dt=0.

Ah I see vela, thank you. In this case I obtain that these 4 points are indeed critical.
Would it have been possible to obtain a point that wasn't critical?
Edit: nevermind the answer is yes, in another problem I get that not all of the points are critical.

Last edited:

Related to Critical points of system of DE

1. What is a critical point of a system of differential equations?

A critical point of a system of differential equations is a point where all the derivatives of the variables in the system are equal to zero. This means that at this point, the system is in equilibrium and there is no change in the values of the variables.

2. How are critical points determined in a system of differential equations?

To determine the critical points of a system of differential equations, we set all the derivatives equal to zero and solve the resulting system of equations. The solutions to this system of equations will be the critical points of the system.

3. Can a system of differential equations have more than one critical point?

Yes, a system of differential equations can have multiple critical points. This can occur when there are multiple solutions to the system of equations where all the derivatives are equal to zero.

4. What is the importance of critical points in a system of differential equations?

Critical points play a crucial role in understanding the behavior of a system of differential equations. They represent the points where the system is in equilibrium, and studying their stability can provide insight into the long-term behavior of the system.

5. How are critical points related to the solutions of a system of differential equations?

The critical points of a system of differential equations are closely related to the solutions of the system. These points can act as attractors or repellors for the solutions, influencing their behavior and stability. The solutions of the system can also converge or diverge towards or away from the critical points.