Critical points of differential equation

In summary, the conversation discusses determining the location and type of critical points for the equation y"+cosy=0 and sketching the phase portrait. The process involves converting the second-order equation into two first-order equations and solving for singularities. The resulting phase portrait shows that every other critical point is a saddle point, followed by a center point.
samee

Homework Statement

Determine the location and type of all critical points of the given equations and sketch the phase portrait

y"+cosy=0

The Attempt at a Solution

I've done some like this before but they were all systems of equations. I'm actually not sure how to do the simpler version >_< I think this is asking for maxima and minima? is that right?

Physics news on Phys.org
It's NOT simpler. This is only one equation but is second order. What you want is two first order equations. Define x by x= y'. Then y''= x' so y''+ y= 0 becomes x'+ y= 0 or x'= -y.

You now have the two equations x'= -y and y'= x.

Okay, so for my problem I have
x=y'
x'=y"
so I substitute and
x'+cosy=0
x'=-cosy

so my system of equations is;

y'=x
x'=-cosy

right? Then I just solve like it's a system of equations and look for the singularities as the critical points?

Ah! No wait, there's more! I know what I'm doing now, silly me. I set x' and y' to zero and solve for the points.

x'=0, ∴x=0
y'=0, -cosy=0, ∴y=(1/2)(2n+1)pi

So I have infinite points along the y-axis. I used

http://www.math.rutgers.edu/courses/ODE/sherod/phase-local.html

to graph the phase portrait and found that every other critical point is a saddle point, then a center point.

SO! how do I say that one is a saddle, then the next is a center?

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Critical points of differential equation

1. What is a critical point of a differential equation?

A critical point of a differential equation is a point where the derivative of the equation is equal to zero. This means that the slope of the curve at that point is flat, and the function is not changing.

2. How do you find critical points of a differential equation?

To find critical points of a differential equation, you need to take the derivative of the equation and set it equal to zero. Then, solve for the variables to determine the values of the critical points.

3. What is the significance of critical points in a differential equation?

Critical points play an important role in determining the behavior and solutions of a differential equation. They can indicate where the function is increasing, decreasing, or has a maximum or minimum value.

4. Can a differential equation have multiple critical points?

Yes, a differential equation can have multiple critical points. These points can have different characteristics, such as being local or global maxima or minima, or being inflection points.

5. How do critical points relate to the stability of a solution to a differential equation?

The stability of a solution to a differential equation is determined by the behavior of the function at its critical points. Depending on the type of critical point, the solution can be stable or unstable, which can affect the long-term behavior of the function.