Critical Points and Differential Equations Helppp

In summary, the conversation discusses the topics of critical points and differential equations in mathematics. The speaker expresses their gratitude for finding help on the forums and their lack of experience in graduate math courses. They then pose two questions, one regarding finding differential equations for polar functions and the other about locating critical points in a system. The summary also includes the solutions to the two questions discussed.
vinverth
Critical Points and Differential Equations! Helppp

Hello everyone..Find it embarrassing enough on asking a question on my very first post but I've been an avid reader of the forums for the past couple of months and been finding what i need for all my assignments here.So a big Thank You to all who've helped.I'm A EE grad and have a math course in my final semester so am a complete noob when it comes to grad math courses,a little consideration here while posting replies or even answers.So here i have a couple of q's whose answers or at least a decent start I've been searching all over the web.

1.Find the differential equations for the polar functions r,ө of the following two-dimensional systems.

(a) x'=x+y
y'=x-y

2.Locate the critical points of the following systems.

(a) x'=x-y²
y'=x²-y²
These are both separate questions.Answers to anyone pleasezzz..
(b) x'=sin(y)
y'=cos(x)

Thank You again to everyone and please bail me out guys!

Physics news on Phys.org

vinverth said:
Hello everyone..Find it embarrassing enough on asking a question on my very first post but I've been an avid reader of the forums for the past couple of months and been finding what i need for all my assignments here.So a big Thank You to all who've helped.I'm A EE grad and have a math course in my final semester so am a complete noob when it comes to grad math courses,a little consideration here while posting replies or even answers.So here i have a couple of q's whose answers or at least a decent start I've been searching all over the web.

1.Find the differential equations for the polar functions r,ө of the following two-dimensional systems.

(a) x'=x+y
y'=x-y
In polar coordinates, [itex]x= r cos(\theta)[/itex] and [itex]y= r sin(\theta)[/itex]. from that [itex]x'= r' cos(\theta)- r sin(\theta)\theta'[/itex] and [itex]y'= r' sin(\theta)+ r cos(\theta)\theta'[/itex].

2.Locate the critical points of the following systems.

(a) x'=x-y²
y'=x²-y²
These are both separate questions.Answers to anyone pleasezzz..
"Critical points" are where the derivatives are both 0. solve [itex]x- y^2= 0[/itex], [itex]x^2- y^2= 0[/itex]. There are 3 critical points.

(b) x'=sin(y)
y'=cos(x)

Thank You again to everyone and please bail me out guys!

Related to Critical Points and Differential Equations Helppp

1. What is a critical point in a differential equation?

A critical point in a differential equation is a point where the derivative of the function is equal to zero. Critical points can be either maximum, minimum, or inflection points, depending on the second derivative of the function.

2. How do you find critical points in a differential equation?

To find critical points in a differential equation, you first set the derivative of the function equal to zero and solve for the variable. The resulting values are the critical points of the function.

3. What is the significance of critical points in a differential equation?

Critical points in a differential equation are important because they give information about the behavior of the function. They can indicate where the function reaches maximum or minimum values, or where it changes direction.

4. Are all critical points of a differential equation important?

No, not all critical points are important. Some may be local maxima or minima that do not affect the overall behavior of the function, while others may be inflection points that indicate a change in the concavity of the function.

5. How are critical points used to solve differential equations?

Critical points can be used to help solve differential equations by providing starting values for numerical methods, such as the Euler method or Runge-Kutta method. They can also be used to analyze the behavior of the solution to the differential equation.