Critical density in Early Times

In summary, the total mass energy density at the time of recombination has been estimated to be 4.28x10-18kg/m3, based on the number of photons per volume in a 2979K blackbody, the baryon to photon ratio, the proton mass, and the dark to baryon ratio, divided by the matter fraction of 0.755 at that time. This value is between the matter-dominated and energy-dominated numbers, as measured by WMAP. The scale factor of the universe at the time of recombination is 1/1090.
BillSaltLake
Gold Member
What was the total mass energy density at the time of recombination? Has it has it been measured by WMAP? (Edit: I think it's 4.28x10-18kg/m3 from the # of photons/volume in a 2979K blackbody, x baryon:photon ratio x proton mass x (1+ dark:baryon ratio) divided by the 0.755 matter fraction at the time.)

Assuming a flat Universe, in times before dark energy was significant, I think the critical density as a function of time was 3H2/(8 pi G), where
1) H = 1/(2t) during energy-domination (very early times), and
2) H = 2/(3t) during matter-domination.
Thus during matter-domination, the critical density was 1/(6 pi Gt2), and it was 9/16 of that during energy -domination.

I might expect the total energy density (matter + energy) at the time of recombination to be between the matter-dominated and energy-dominated numbers. (Edit: the WMAP appears to be between those numbers. Matter-dominated would be 5.43x10-18kg/m3) However, when I use a differential eq to solve it directly, I'm only getting 0.291 of the matter-dominated value of 1/(6 pi Gt2) where t is the recombination time. (Edit: I don't do math good. Sorry.)

Last edited:
Space news on Phys.org
I didn't look too closely at your work, but here's how I would approach this:

WMAP has measured Ωm. This matter density parameter is defined as follows:

Ωm ρm(t0) / ρcrit

where t0 means now and

ρcrit ≡ 3H02 / 8πG

We also know that

ρm(t) = ρm(t0)a-3.​

So now we just need to know the scale factor of the universe at the time of recombination.

Last edited:
cepheid said:
so now we just need to know the scale factor of the universe at the time of recombination.
1/1090

Related to Critical density in Early Times

1. What is the concept of critical density in early times?

The concept of critical density in early times refers to the amount of matter and energy present in the universe during its early stages of formation. It is the minimum density required for the universe to continue expanding forever, without collapsing back in on itself due to gravity.

2. How is critical density related to the fate of the universe?

Critical density plays a crucial role in determining the fate of the universe. If the actual density of the universe is greater than the critical density, the universe will eventually stop expanding and collapse in a "big crunch". If the actual density is less than the critical density, the universe will continue to expand forever.

3. How is critical density calculated?

Critical density can be calculated by dividing the critical mass by the critical volume. The critical mass is 3 times the Hubble constant squared divided by 8πG, where G is the gravitational constant. The critical volume is the volume of a sphere with a radius equal to the Hubble length.

4. What is the current estimate of the critical density of the universe?

The current estimate of the critical density of the universe is about 9.9 x 10^-27 kg/m^3, or 5.9 x 10^-30 g/cm^3. This value is based on observations of the cosmic microwave background radiation and the distribution of matter in the universe.

5. How does the concept of critical density relate to the theory of the Big Bang?

The concept of critical density is closely tied to the theory of the Big Bang. According to the Big Bang theory, the universe began as a singularity and has been expanding ever since. The critical density is the key factor in determining whether the universe will continue to expand or eventually collapse. This concept supports the idea that the universe had a beginning and is not eternal.