Critical density: question correction

In summary: Yes, there are other ways to calculate the density of the universe, such as measuring the mass of all visible matter and estimating the amount of dark matter and dark energy. However, the value obtained from these methods may not necessarily match the critical density calculated from the Friedmann equations. This is because the Friedmann equations take into account the expansion of the universe and the effects of gravity, while other methods may not consider these factors. Therefore, the critical density calculated from the Friedmann equations is considered the most accurate and reliable way to determine the density of the universe.
Luminescent
Hope I'm in the right section for this question! In the big bang model, the expansion of the universe is slowed down by gravity. If there is enough matter in the universe, then the expansion can be overcome and the universe will collapse in the future. The density of matter that is just sufficient to eventually halt the expansion is called the critical density. The equation for the critical density is

ρcrit = 3H₀²/ 8πG

You can see that the critical density is proportional to the square of the Hubble constant — a faster expansion requires a higher density to overcome the expansion.We can calculate ρcrit by inserting the gravitational constant, G = 6.67 × 10-11 Nm2 / kg2, and adopting H0= 70 km/s/Mpc. We first convert the Hubble constant to metric units, H0= 2 × 10-18s-1. Now we can solve to get ρcrit = 3 × (2.1 × 10-18)2 / 8 × 3.14 × 6.7 × 10-11 = 7.9 × 10-27 kg/m3 ≈ 10-26 kg/m3. Equal to about five hydrogen atoms per cubic meter.

With all that being said, can anyone tell me why;
8π x G? Or why 3 × H²?

In other words, I'm looking for an explanation as to why we are using particular numbers like 8π or 3H² to achieve density?

Last edited:
Space news on Phys.org
From equations which describes Universe.

Did you know friedmann equation
##H^2-8πGρ/3=-k/a^2(t)+Λc^2/3##
If we assume ##k=0## (Which it is) and ##Λ=0## (We assume ##Λ=0## for simplicity) then we get
##H^2=8πGρ/3##
then ##p=3H^2/8πG##
These numbers derived from equations.Einstein Field Equations gives us friedmann equation.And friedmann equation gives us critical density equation

Likes Luminescent
Yes, thank you for your reply, I'm am aware of these calculations. My question can even be related to them if preferred. Question still stands how are the values 8π and 3 relevant to the equations parameters. They are acting as constants in themselves but for what purpose? Where's is the dimensionality in 8π other than to say it undergoes 4 rotations? Relatively so, what is the dimensionality of 3? In other words what are they explaining in the the equation?

RyanH42 said:
From equations which describes Universe.

Did you know friedmann equation
##H^2-8πGρ/3=-k/a^2(t)+Λc^2/3##
If we assume ##k=0## (Which it is) and ##Λ=0## (We assume ##Λ=0## for simplicity) then we get
##H^2=8πGρ/3##
then ##p=3H^2/8πG##
These numbers derived from equations.Einstein Field Equations gives us friedmann equation.And friedmann equation gives us critical density equation

I meant to tag you for a response. Here we go

Luminescent said:
The density of matter that is just sufficient to eventually halt the expansion is called the critical density.

Note that this is only true if the cosmological constant is zero. If it's positive (which, according to our best current model, it is), a critical density universe will still expand forever. In fact, according to our best current model, our universe is at the critical density (if the density of dark energy, i.e., the cosmological constant, is included), and will expand forever.

Luminescent said:
I'm looking for an explanation as to why we are using particular numbers like 8π or 3H² to achieve density?

We're not. We're using them because they are needed to make the equations match reality.

Luminescent said:
Where's is the dimensionality in 8π other than to say it undergoes 4 rotations? Relatively so, what is the dimensionality of 3?

These are dimensionless numbers; they're not there to correct the units of anything. They're there because they have to be there to make the equations match reality.

Luminescent said:
In other words what are they explaining in the the equation?

I'm not sure what you mean. The equation is supposed to describe reality, i.e., to describe the relationship between density and expansion rate (among other things) that we actually observe. But without the ##8 \pi## and the ##3## in there, the equation doesn't correctly describe that relationship.

Likes Luminescent and RyanH42
The derivation of Friedmann equation:
##1/2mV^2-mMG/r=U##
##V^2-2MG/r=2U/m##
##M=4/3πρR^3##, so
##H^2R^2-8πGR^2/3=-k##
##H^2-8πG/3=-k/R^2##

##k=-2U/m## U=Total energy

This derivation is wrong but It can give you an idea about where this 8,π,G,3 come from.

Or Let's think the other way ##p=3H^2/8πG##
##8πG/3=H^2/p##
So these numbers are just constants to make ##H^2/p## same for all time(H and p is time dependet)

Likes Luminescent
PeterDonis said:
Note that this is only true if the cosmological constant is zero. If it's positive (which, according to our best current model, it is), a critical density universe will still expand forever. In fact, according to our best current model, our universe is at the critical density (if the density of dark energy, i.e., the cosmological constant, is included), and will expand forever.
We're not. We're using them because they are needed to make the equations match reality.
These are dimensionless numbers; they're not there to correct the units of anything. They're there because they have to be there to make the equations match reality.
I'm not sure what you mean. The equation is supposed to describe reality, i.e., to describe the relationship between density and expansion rate (among other things) that we actually observe. But without the ##8 \pi## and the ##3## in there, the equation doesn't correctly describe that relationship.
Thanks for your replies these are all great answers! Bare with me I'm still high school level. Although
Very interesting!
Is there any other way physicists can derive critical density without it being derived from the Friedman equations?
Seems to me there must logically be another way to calculate to the density of the universe and arrive with the same value and units...

Luminescent said:
Is there any other way physicists can derive critical density without it being derived from the Friedman equations?

No.

Luminescent said:
Seems to me there must logically be another way to calculate to the density of the universe

The actual density of the universe is not the same, conceptually, as the critical density. The actual density is whatever we measure it to be. The critical density is a theoretical quantity that is calculated from the Friedmann equations. Our best measurements indicate that, to within experimental error, the two are numerically the same, but that doesn't make them the same thing. It just means they happen to be equal numerically.

Likes Luminescent
PeterDonis said:
No.
The actual density of the universe is not the same, conceptually, as the critical density. Our best measurements indicate that, to within experimental error, they are numerically the same, but that doesn't make them the same thing. It just means they happen to be equal numerically.

Ahh yes Well noted. Interesting though... There numerical similarity describes what then ? If there separateness lies in their description, then there must be some sort of error in our collective methods and descriptions of such mechanics... Wouldn't you agree?

Luminescent said:
There numerical similarity describes what then ?

Um, that the actual density of the universe is the same as the theoretically calculated critical density? I'm not sure what you're trying to ask here.

Luminescent said:
If there separateness lies in their description, then there must be some sort of error in our collective methods and descriptions of such mechanics... Wouldn't you agree?

I don't know because I don't understand what you're asking.

1. What is critical density?

Critical density is the density of matter in the universe that is required for the expansion of the universe to eventually stop and reach a state of equilibrium.

2. Why is critical density important?

Critical density is important because it determines the fate of the universe. If the density is equal to or greater than the critical density, the universe will eventually stop expanding and reach a state of equilibrium. If the density is less than the critical density, the universe will continue to expand forever.

3. How is critical density calculated?

Critical density is calculated using the critical density parameter, which is the ratio of the actual density of the universe to the critical density. This parameter is often denoted by the Greek letter omega (Ω). If Ω is equal to 1, then the universe is at critical density.

4. What is the current estimate for the critical density of the universe?

The current estimate for the critical density of the universe is about 5.4 x 10^-27 kg/m^3. This means that for every cubic meter of space, there is about 5.4 x 10^-27 kilograms of matter.

5. How does critical density relate to the expansion rate of the universe?

Critical density is directly related to the expansion rate of the universe. If the actual density of the universe is greater than the critical density, the expansion rate will slow down over time. If the actual density is less than the critical density, the expansion rate will increase over time. If the actual density is equal to the critical density, the expansion rate will remain constant.