Creative Application of Mean Value Theorem

In summary, the conversation discusses using Taylor's theorem to prove that f(-1) + f(1) - 2f(0) = f"(c) for some c in [-1,1]. The individual attempts include using the mean value theorem and Taylor's theorem, with the conclusion being to use Taylor's theorem for the entire expression.
michaelxavier

Homework Statement

Assume that f is twice differentiable on the entire real line. Show that
f(-1) + f(1) - 2f(0) = f"(c) for some c in [-1,1]

Homework Equations

I'm thinking the mean value theorem will be helpful here -- the MVT states that, given a function f differentiable on [a,b], there is some point c in (a,b) s.t.
( f(b) - f(a) ) / (b-a) = f'(c).

The Attempt at a Solution

By applying to MVT to ( f(-1) - f(0) ) and ( f(1) - f(0) ) and then adding the results, I've managed to show that f(-1) + f(1) - 2f(0) = f'(d) - f'(e) for some d,e in (-1, 1). But then I am stuck. How to prove that f'(d) - f'(e) = f"(c) for some c in [-1,1]? Or am I just completely on the wrong track?

Thanks for your help!

Physics news on Phys.org
I would use Taylor's theorem: f(x) = f(0) + f'(0)x + remainder.

you would use taylor's for the whole thing, or just for f'(d) - f'(e) = f"(c)?

thanks for replying, by the way.

For the whole thing - don't bother with the MVT. If you choose the right form for the remainder, it's pretty much done!

Related to Creative Application of Mean Value Theorem

1. What is the Mean Value Theorem?

The Mean Value Theorem is a fundamental theorem in calculus that states that for a continuous and differentiable function on an interval, there exists at least one point where the derivative of the function is equal to the slope of the secant line connecting the endpoints of the interval.

2. How is the Mean Value Theorem used in creative applications?

The Mean Value Theorem is used in creative applications to find the average rate of change of a function over a given interval, which can be useful in various fields such as economics, physics, and engineering. It can also be used to prove the existence of solutions to certain problems.

3. Can the Mean Value Theorem be applied to non-differentiable functions?

No, the Mean Value Theorem can only be applied to differentiable functions, meaning that the function must have a defined derivative at every point in the interval. If a function is not differentiable, the Mean Value Theorem cannot be used.

4. What is an example of a creative application of the Mean Value Theorem?

One example of a creative application of the Mean Value Theorem is in economics, where it can be used to calculate the average rate of change of a company's profits over a given period of time. This information can then be used to make decisions about the company's future strategies.

5. Are there any limitations to the Mean Value Theorem?

Yes, there are limitations to the Mean Value Theorem. It can only be applied to continuous and differentiable functions, and it may not give an accurate result if the function has sharp corners or discontinuities within the interval. Additionally, it only guarantees the existence of a point where the derivative is equal to the slope of the secant line, but it does not provide a method for finding that point.