Creating My Own Venn Diagram: A Weekend Project

In summary, this conversation covers a variety of topics including making a Venn diagram, a humorous moment involving a "Mandelbrot Moment," the origin and meaning behind plastic testicles on trailer hitches, the potential illegality of such decorations, and the possibility of car "bras" and underwear. The conversation also includes discussions about various state laws, and references to popular memes and websites.
DaveC426913
Gold Member
A couple of trips to the store this weekend and I have decided to make my own Venn diagram.

Attachments

• PF_men.gif
    PF_men.gif
    13.4 KB · Views: 701
Physics news on Phys.org
Well that was a decent Mandelbrot Moment!

DaveC426913 said:
A couple of trips to the store this weekend and I have decided to make my own Venn diagram.
Where on Earth do you live? And what message is plastic testicles on a trailer hitch supposed to convey?

By the way, nice Venn diagram. Everyone should have at least one, imo.

Lacy33 said:
Well that was a decent Mandelbrot Moment!
:smile: I found this somewhat humorous ... but I'm not sure why.

I :!) Venn diagrams.

ThomasT said:
Where on Earth do you live?
One would conclude Redneck, Heartland, wouldn't one?

ThomasT said:
And what message is plastic testicles on a trailer hitch supposed to convey?
An excellent question.

Perhaps the same thing that a decal of Calvin peeing on the ground is supposed to convey. I am always seized with the urge to run up to drivers with these decals, bite my lip and say "You rebel you!"

[PLAIN]http://gal.darkervision.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/Calvin_Peeing_decal.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
DaveC426913 said:

Yep, I'd hazard a guess that that one is 100% statistically valid.

ThomasT, you are a fortunate man indeed to have never encountered this atrocity.

DaveC426913 said:
One would conclude Redneck, Heartland, wouldn't one?

why not L.A., or D.C.?

An excellent question.

Perhaps the same thing that a decal of Calvin peeing on the ground is supposed to convey. I am always seized with the urge to run up to drivers with these decals, bite my lip and say "You rebel you!"

[PLAIN]http://gal.darkervision.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/Calvin_Peeing_decal.gif[/QUOTE]

you're supposed to mount that decal over a Chevy bowtie. never been to a NASCAR race?

I must admit, I really thought testicle-shaped truck ornamentation was exclusively American. I guess I assumed no one else could be so...freaking obnoxious.

I wonder, from which side of the border did they come? Whichever side it was should apologize :-p.

collinsmark said:
These might be [becoming] illegal in some USA states, maybe. I guess we'll find out soon enough.

http://bentcorner.com/if-your-pick-...ailer-hitch-you-better-stay-out-of-maryland/"

http://www.postandcourier.com/news/2011/sep/15/truck-testicle-trial-delayed-until-nov-2/"
Proton Soup said:
eh? what next, will there be a law requiring you to neuter your dog if you take him in public?
Indeed. The hanging of fake bull testicles from one's vehicle seems to be an accepted practice in many areas -- apparently signifying one's right to be marginally naughty. And, it's funny.

According to the Post and Courier link above:
Post and Courier said:
State law says, "A sticker, decal, emblem, or device is indecent when taken as a whole, it describes, in a patently offensive way, as determined by contemporary community standards, sexual acts, excretory functions, or parts of the human body."
This seems pretty patently subjective, especially as more and more people jump on the marginally naughty bandwagon to display fake bull testicles, fake chicken gizzards, fake mutilated aardvark nostrils, and similar stuff.

Let's hope that the defendant mentioned in the link above gets off.

Thanks to Dave and Mark for opening this can of fake worms. Ooh, another naughty ornament idea?

And if, as was feared by the deputies, your little kid asks about the fake bull testicles, then you can just mutter something and then say, excitedly, "Hey ... how about some ice cream and Venn diagrams!?" The kid's attention will probably be immediately redirected. If not, then the kid will probably become a physician or biologist. It's a win-win situation. Problem solved!

State law said:
A sticker, decal, emblem, or device is indecent when taken as a whole, it describes, in a patently offensive way, as determined by contemporary community standards, sexual acts, excretory functions, or parts of the human body.
http://www.postandcourier.com/news/2...d-until-nov-2/"
These are supposed to be bull testicles right? Case dismissed.

Next up: underwear for your truck.

Chi Meson said:
Next up: underwear for your truck.

I thought they already had car bras.

And yes, this thread had me caught at "Venn diagram"...

physics girl phd said:
And yes, this thread had me caught at "Venn diagram"...
Then you are an aficionado of http://graphjam.memebase.com/" , yes?

physics girl phd said:
You mean I can get one for my 280Z?

physics girl phd said:

Bra for testicles! Hahahaha

Jimmy Snyder said:
You mean I can get one for my 280Z?

trouble with your headlights coming on?

DaveC426913 said:

Been hanging out with the http://peopleofwalmart.tumblr.com/" ?

Related to Creating My Own Venn Diagram: A Weekend Project

1. How do I choose the categories for my Venn diagram?

You can choose categories that are relevant to your topic or project. It is recommended to choose 2-3 categories that have some overlap in order to create a meaningful comparison.

2. What are the steps for creating a Venn diagram?

The steps for creating a Venn diagram include:
1. Identify the categories you want to compare
2. Draw two or three overlapping circles, with each circle representing a category
3. Place the items or data you want to compare in the appropriate circle(s)
4. Add any additional labels or information to your diagram
5. Analyze the overlapping areas to draw conclusions about the relationships between the categories.

3. Can I use a Venn diagram for more than two categories?

Yes, Venn diagrams can be used for 2, 3, or even more categories. However, the more categories you have, the more complex your diagram may become. It is recommended to limit the number of categories to 3-4 for clarity.

4. How do I represent data in a Venn diagram?

There are several ways to represent data in a Venn diagram, including using shapes, numbers, or labels. For example, you can use circles to represent the categories and use numbers or labels to indicate the number of items in each category. You can also use different colors or shading to represent data in the overlapping areas.

5. Can I create a Venn diagram using computer software?

Yes, there are various software programs and online tools available for creating Venn diagrams. These tools allow you to easily customize and edit your diagram and can save you time compared to hand-drawing a diagram. However, it is also possible to create a Venn diagram using simple drawing tools such as Microsoft Word or Google Docs.