Creating lung compliance curves but I'm terrible at the math/graphing

In summary, the physiologist is trying to recreate three curves using a graphing program but is clueless about how to create the correct shapes. He is looking for an easy way to do this. The first answer provided by the poster was helpful in solving the problem.
sozme

Homework Statement

I am trying to replicate the curves in the attachment, but since I am a physiologist it has been quite a while since I've done graphing. I am simply looking for an easy way to replicate these three curves. This is for a practice exam I am creating for first year medical students. The graphing program I got from sourceforge allows you to create these curves by inserting a function in the form of f(x) = or creating a point series.

Homework Equations

I believe the normal curve is roughly f(x) = √x but, I wish I knew what function to insert to make the line cross the X axis at +2.5 instead of 0. I am clueless how to create the shapes of the other two.

The Attempt at a Solution

Above

Physics news on Phys.org
sozme said:

Homework Statement

I am trying to replicate the curves in the attachment, but since I am a physiologist it has been quite a while since I've done graphing. I am simply looking for an easy way to replicate these three curves. This is for a practice exam I am creating for first year medical students. The graphing program I got from sourceforge allows you to create these curves by inserting a function in the form of f(x) = or creating a point series.

Homework Equations

I believe the normal curve is roughly f(x) = √x but, I wish I knew what function to insert to make the line cross the X axis at +2.5 instead of 0. I am clueless how to create the shapes of the other two.

The Attempt at a Solution

Above

I don't see an attachment -- try again?

If your curve has the same shape as f(x) =√x, it can be translated to the right by 2.5 units to have an x-intercept at (2.5, 0). That would be y = f(x - 2.5) = √(x - 2.5)

Likes 1 person
berkeman said:
I don't see an attachment -- try again?

I'm sorry, I think it should be attached now. Thanks for that first answer Mark. Now the other 2 curves should be in the attachment and I need a way to recreate them.

Attachments

• lungcompliance.jpg
    lungcompliance.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 319

Related to Creating lung compliance curves but I'm terrible at the math/graphing

1. How do I create a lung compliance curve?

To create a lung compliance curve, you will need to collect data on the volume and pressure of the lungs. This can be done using a spirometer and a pressure transducer. Once you have the data, plot the volume on the x-axis and the pressure on the y-axis. Connect the points to create a curve, and this will be your lung compliance curve.

2. What is the purpose of a lung compliance curve?

A lung compliance curve is used to assess the elasticity and function of the lungs. It shows the relationship between the volume and pressure of the lungs, which can help diagnose respiratory diseases and monitor the effectiveness of treatments.

3. What units should I use for the volume and pressure on the lung compliance curve?

The volume is typically measured in liters (L) or milliliters (mL), and the pressure is measured in centimeters of water (cmH2O) or millimeters of mercury (mmHg). It is important to use consistent units for accurate interpretation of the curve.

4. Can I create a lung compliance curve without using math or graphing?

No, creating a lung compliance curve requires mathematical calculations and graphing skills. However, there are online tools and software available that can help with the calculations and graphing if you are not comfortable doing it by hand.

5. What factors can affect the shape of a lung compliance curve?

The shape of a lung compliance curve can be affected by various factors, such as age, gender, body position, lung diseases, and lung capacity. It is important to consider these factors when interpreting the curve and comparing it to normal values.