Creating Five Distinct Partitioning Sets for A, Z, and R"

• Thread starter chocolatelover
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Partition
In summary, in Parts (a), (b), and (c), the partitioning set for a given level is the collection of all subsets of the original set that include at least one element of the original set.
chocolatelover

Homework Statement

a. Let A={1,2,...10}. Describe a partition of A that gives rise to five distinct paritioning sets.
b.Describe a partition of Z that gives rise to five distinct partitioning sets
c. Describe a partition of R that gives rise to five distint partitioning sets

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Could someone please explain to me how to describe a partion in general? Is this where you say that each level has a certain amount of multiples of the set?

Thank you very much

Physics news on Phys.org
You "describe" a partition by telling what sets are in it! Are you clear on what a partition is? It is simply a collection of subsets of the original set such that each member of the original set is in one and only one of the subsets.

For example, if I were asked to find a partition of {1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7} consisting of "5 distinct sets" I might give {{1}, {2}, {3}, {4}, {5, 6, 7}}. That's a partition (each member of the set is in exactly one of those) and it has 5 distinct sets. That's all that's required.

Now, for "b.Describe a partition of Z that gives rise to five distinct partitioning sets", yes, one way to do that is to use "modulo 5"- each set containing all integers whose remainder, when divided by 5, is the same. Another perfectly valid answer, since it is not required that each set in a partition be the same size, would be {{all negative integers},{1},{2},{3}, {all integers larger than 3}}.

Thank you very much

Part c. "Describe a partition of R that gives rise to fie distinct partitioning sets" could be the same thing as part b., right? For these types of problems, there isn't just one correct answer, right?

Thank you

No, (c) is not the same as (b). (b) asked for a partition of Z, the set of integers, so the partition must include only sets of integers. (c) is asking for a partition of R, the set of real numbers, so the partition must include all real numbers.

Thank you very much

Regards

Related to Creating Five Distinct Partitioning Sets for A, Z, and R"

1. What is the purpose of creating five distinct partitioning sets?

The purpose of creating five distinct partitioning sets is to categorize a large dataset into smaller, more manageable groups. This allows for easier analysis and identification of patterns or trends within the data.

2. How do I determine which partitioning set is most appropriate for my data?

The most appropriate partitioning set will depend on the specific characteristics and goals of your dataset. Some factors to consider include the size of the dataset, the desired level of granularity, and the type of analysis you plan to conduct.

3. Can I use more or less than five partitioning sets?

Yes, the number of partitioning sets can be adjusted according to the needs of your data. However, five is a commonly used number that provides a balanced approach to partitioning.

4. Is there a specific order in which the partitioning sets should be created?

No, there is no specific order in which the partitioning sets should be created. However, it is generally recommended to start with broader, more general sets and then refine them into more specific sets.

5. Are there any tools or software that can assist with creating partitioning sets?

Yes, there are various tools and software available that can assist with creating partitioning sets, such as data mining software, statistical analysis software, and database management systems. However, the specific tool or software you use will depend on your data and the techniques you plan to use.