Creating an Exponential decay equation for given parameters

In summary, the individual is looking for a way to vary a parameter in an equation with respect to time, specifically the mass flow [ m(t) ], in order to achieve an exponential decay to half its original value in approximately 60 seconds and then reach a steady state. The regular decay equation of m(t)=m0*exp(-At) is known, but they are seeking an equation that will allow this to occur. Through calculations, it is determined that the equation m(t)= m0(1/2)^(t/60) would achieve the desired outcome.
shakystew
So, I am wanting to vary a parameter in an equation with respect to time.
  • Vary mass flow [ m(t) ] for an exponential decay to half its original value in around 60 seconds.
I know the regular decay equation where:
m(t)=m0*exp(-At)
but I want the value to approach a steady state at 60 seconds (i.e. I am decreasing my pump/mass-flow by one half over 60 seconds).

I need an equation which will allow this to occur.

Physics news on Phys.org
shakystew said:
  • Vary mass flow [ m(t) ] for an exponential decay to half its original value in around 60 seconds.
m(t)=m0*exp(-At)
but I want the value to approach a steady state at 60 seconds (i.e. I am decreasing my pump/mass-flow by one half over 60 seconds).

Is this homework?

It is not. It is for my current project for my research. I figured it out :)

Why not m(t) = m0 +B (exp(-A t)-1) with for example B=m0/2 or other adjusted values of A and B for better fit to the given conditions.

shakystew said:
m(t)=m0*exp(-At)

So you want m(60)= m0 exp(-60A)= (1/2)m0. Then you want exp(-60A)= 1/2 so -60A= ln(1/2), A= -ln(1/2)/60.
(Since 1/2< 1, ln(1/2)< 0 so A will be positive).
You have m(t)= m0e(-tln(1/2)/60))= m0etln((1/2)^(t/60))= m0(1/2)(t/60).

In fact, we could have argued from the first that it must be of that form- since it decreases by 1/2 every 60 seconds (exponential decay always decreases by the same fraction over the same time interval) the original amount must be multiplied by 1/2 every 60 seconds. In time t seconds, there are t/60 "60 second time intervals" so the original amount is multiplied by 1/2 t/60 times: (1/2)t/60.

Related to Creating an Exponential decay equation for given parameters

1. What is an exponential decay equation?

An exponential decay equation is a mathematical formula that represents the process of decreasing at a constant rate over time.

2. What are the parameters needed to create an exponential decay equation?

The parameters needed to create an exponential decay equation are the initial value, the decay rate, and the time variable.

3. How do you determine the initial value in an exponential decay equation?

The initial value in an exponential decay equation is the starting point or the value at the beginning of the decay process. It can be determined by looking at the data or by using the formula y = ab^0, where a is the initial value.

4. What is the significance of the decay rate in an exponential decay equation?

The decay rate in an exponential decay equation determines the rate at which the value decreases over time. It is represented by the value "b" in the equation y = ab^t, where t is the time variable.

5. Can an exponential decay equation be used to model real-life scenarios?

Yes, exponential decay equations can be used to model real-life scenarios such as radioactive decay, population decline, and the decay of materials. These equations can help predict future values and make informed decisions based on the rate of decay.